Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m close to taking the plunge but had a question after reading this article on Cars.com.

I did a test drive on a sunny day and found the Nav screen hard to read at times from glare. This is mentioned in the article as well, have others had this issue and what’s the best way to avoid?

And as a bonus question what do the owners here think about the ‘Hate’ pieces in the article?

https://www.cars.com/articles/2018-alfa-romeo-giulia-o-brawling-love-o-loving-hate-1420698475885/

·
Registered
231 Posts
Will you be tinting your windows at all, or leaving them stock? The reason that I ask is because I have tint, and have no issues seeing the nav screen.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,439 Posts
I have more of a problem with the screen and other light sources reflecting off windshield and front door glass at night.

Reactions: lockem

·
Registered
647 Posts
Be sure you have the dash instrument dim/high adjustment wheel all the way up (bright). I wish Alfa had not combined the dash and the screen brightness in one switch. For safety at night it is best to leave the dash instrument light down dim but the also makes the screen light unnecessarily dim and difficult to see. Mistake IMO!

PS:

Hate — Interior Quality ..... I like it very much! Mine is the sports package interior (base Giulia) black and I think the leather/plastic combination exudes a classy satin black look and feel. The blinker shift is a little touchy for the three blink quick mode but nothing to get whiny about. Got used to is in two days!

Hate — Multimedia System ..... I don't use the phone or NAV at all and the radio system very seldom. I use it a lot for checking and adjusting the computer settings, etc. The on screen owner's manual in number/diagrams is very helpful for a new owner. The screen should be brighter. The rear camera is just fine for me and I have bi-focals, no problem. The controls do take some getting used to. I got it down in a few days. The infotainment screen overall is OK, nothing to change to a Kia for! However, the way Alfa incorporated it into the dash is ultra smooth looking/gorgeous!

Hate — Lane Departure Warning Noise ..... Don't have it and don't need it. As a long time professional driver I know how to properly adjust my outside mirrors and can always see what is next to me, progression from rear view mirror to side mirror to peripheral vision. Most people are unaware how to set the outside mirrors. (Hint, if you can see the side of your car they are too far in.) That noise might perhaps be turned down or off, see owner's manual or YouTube sections, great help for new owner's, faster than reading the owner's manual ..... whoops my bad, I am talking about the blind spot feature.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUAdsVegPO6ja2tfA_o4R1VsqpId4qRZ2

Handling and Steering ..... Paddle Shifters (note, you can also use the shift knob for manual shifting when in the left position, also lots of fun) ..... Engine ..... Styling
THESE ARE ALL GREAT!

The Giulia in all models is awesome. Even with a few minor irritations. What a fabulous sports sedan. A British test magazine said .......... Basically a 4 door Ferrari ... World class chassis ... the best of the super saloons (sports sedans) you can buy.

Personal note:
They will have to pry my Giulia from my cold dead hands! :D

·
Registered
271 Posts
Shouldn't believe everything you read.

Cars.com...not exactly a motoring authority I make my purchasing decisions based upon.

Go buy it and stop nitpicking...you can thank us all later.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
Nav screen diff to see on sunny days?

Now about that "nag" feature...

Reactions: PNW_Giulia_Owner

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
The Cars.com article should seal the deal for you, if you ask me. The most important things - handling, steering, engine and styling - fall into the "love" category. Most of the stuff that falls into their "hate" category is peripheral, and even the criticisms of those things are petty.
The back up camera image is smallish. It kind of is, but who cares?
The infotainment system buttons are counterintuitive. Maybe for the first few days when you are used to the way your prior car operates. After you've lived with the Giulia for a week, its perfectly fine and natural. In fact, I find it very easy to operate.
The screen washes out in bright sunlight. What screen doesn't to some degree?
The interior isn't up to luxury sedan standards. I have a Ti and I strongly disagree. The leather seats and dash, and the real wood inserts are top notch. The base model may not be luxury car quality; but if that's important to you, spend a little extra for the Ti or Sports edition and you will love the look and feel.
The lane departure sound is too jarring. Seriously? It's meant to wake you up if you are drifting out of your lane. Press the button and turn it off if you can't stay in your lane.
Overall, I love (love!) LOVE my Giulia. It is an absolute joy to drive, and isn't that what you really want in your car?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the responses. Glad to see everyone is enjoying their cars so much! It’s going to be a few more months but will post once I’ve got the car. I think I may order to make sure I can get the options I want.

·
Registered
76 Posts
compared to my 2 S4's, 330 xi, Saab Turbo X, 335 M Performance, C400,
This is the the car I love the most,
Not the most powerful , but the most enjoyable to drive
Don't think twice! You will love it.
Make sure you order the Leather dash package, worth every penny, makes a huge difference in the interior feel and look

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ohh appolon you’re making it hard on me by throwing in the TI leather package as being a good buy, I’m trying to pick 3 if 4 of these to try to manage cost

- TI leather package
- HK stereo - haven’t heard great things about it, but I do like the metal grates you get with it
- Sunroof - not sure I’ll use it
- Nav - with Apple CarPlay I’d probably just use that

Otherwise my must haves are TI sport, TI sport performance package and 5 hole wheels with summer tires.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have on occasion had problem with the dim screen if the sun is in just the right position and the shield above the screen is not blocking it. I've also had the screen switch to dark mode on occasion (using Nav) when it was not night time which is a pain.

Concerning the "hates" I guess it comes down to what's most important to you. Judging by your "must haves", I'd guess that performance is most important to you and for that, you can't go wrong with this car. The interior quality is maybe not quite up there with BMW or Audi, but is perfectly fine with me. The HK stereo is fine and probably better than the HK one in my BMW. Sunroof - I don't have in my QV and I don't miss it. It does look cool with some paint colors though. Nav is not good, but with Carplay I have apple maps instead. Or just use Waze on my phone. I wish I could get waze on carplay.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,738 Posts
i cant get over reviewers who just cut and paste carbon copy rehashes of previously made comments like interior feel and quality but then ALL rave about the aluminium solid feel of the shift paddles

if switches and knobs is all they can find to criticise, then there is your answer right there ...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ohh appolon you’re making it hard on me by throwing in the TI leather package as being a good buy, I’m trying to pick 3 if 4 of these to try to manage cost

- TI leather package
- HK stereo - haven’t heard great things about it, but I do like the metal grates you get with it

Otherwise my must haves are TI sport, TI sport performance package and 5 hole wheels with summer tires.
I would clearly pick the leather package over the H/K stereo (I have the H/k and also heard the ordinary stereo and the difference is not huge).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I’ve got dark tint and no problems. As stated though, any vehicle that gets the sun directly on the screen will do the same thing. It’s a problem about 1% of the time when the sun and your vehicle are in the exact right (or wrong) angles.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Alfa maybe missed opportunity to extend the dash bit more towards the driveer and provide better shading for display...
Also modern displays usually have some kind of antiglare coating (metal vapor deposit-usually gives a bit of purplish hue) on them however I am not sure you can apply that to the material that Alfa’s screen is made of

·
Registered
206 Posts
I think part of the problem with automative journalists in general is that they seem to forget that driving a car for a few hours or days in order to write about it and actually owning a car long term are two very different things. And the more un-mainstream or original a car is, the more this difference matters.

Because of this we constantly hear criticisms of things as being big issues whereas in fact they are mostly things you get used to quite quickly when owning a car. Things like the very light brake modulation, turn signal design, etc. all fall into these categories. Journalists all seem to focus on them too - and so did I when I first drove the car. But they are non-issues once you own it.

Things that truly are issues are the things that are long term annoying and which you don't necessarily spot the first time you drive the car. All cars have these, and our Alfa is no different. On my last car (a 911) it was rear visibility and low ground clearance particularly at the rear where I was constantly scraping the diffuser (such as it was). On my Alfa I think it is the overly-blocky design of the side mirrors. They cause a big blind spot on the left at around 10:30 that has caused me issues several times when turning. I didn't notice that at first, have read little about it, but to me its my one really big gripe and it is not something easy to just get used to.

Other than that though, owning a car isn't like renting one from the airport for a day or two. I wish automotive journalists would remember that a bit more often.

·
Registered
7,439 Posts
I agree, Simey. And I still can't let "nag screen" go. I consider my car to be a "nag free" zone. And its nav screen is just fine.

Reactions: Simeythelimey

·
Registered
483 Posts
Finally, some one else noticed the blind spot!

For me, the annoyance is that same blind spot, and the extra ride height on my q4. But I find myself enjoying driving even in traffic- I too fall into the category of "have had a bunch of interesting cars, but the Giulia is my favorite".

+1 on the leather package. It's the missing option I wish I had.

I think part of the problem with automative journalists in general is that they seem to forget that driving a car for a few hours or days in order to write about it and actually owning a car long term are two very different things. And the more un-mainstream or original a car is, the more this difference matters.

Because of this we constantly hear criticisms of things as being big issues whereas in fact they are mostly things you get used to quite quickly when owning a car. Things like the very light brake modulation, turn signal design, etc. all fall into these categories. Journalists all seem to focus on them too - and so did I when I first drove the car. But they are non-issues once you own it.

Things that truly are issues are the things that are long term annoying and which you don't necessarily spot the first time you drive the car. All cars have these, and our Alfa is no different. On my last car (a 911) it was rear visibility and low ground clearance particularly at the rear where I was constantly scraping the diffuser (such as it was). On my Alfa I think it is the overly-blocky design of the side mirrors. They cause a big blind spot on the left at around 10:30 that has caused me issues several times when turning. I didn't notice that at first, have read little about it, but to me its my one really big gripe and it is not something easy to just get used to.

Other than that though, owning a car isn't like renting one from the airport for a day or two. I wish automotive journalists would remember that a bit more often.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,723 Posts

- TI leather package

When I ordered my car (July 2017) you had to get a Ti or QV to get the Leather package and if you ordered a Ti you had to have the "optional" NAV (since when is a mandatory feature an option?). I do not know if the situation is still the same.

ACP and AA are were a $200 option that came with the car (not a listed option). I do not know how that works right now.

About the only thing I find the NAV good for is if I have started a trip, was too lazy to plug in my phone so that AA will work and need directions. Even then it is not all that useful. It has no live feed so it won't steer you around traffic issues or seasonal road closures. OTOH, even Google maps sent me down a closed road 2 weeks ago; maybe I should try waze.

IMO, you want the Leather upgrade and the ACP/AA. Some folks swear by the HK, some swear at it; IMO in a moving car with 19" low profile wheels it doesn't make a difference except for the added weight and complexity of the HK system. If you don't "know" that you want a sunroof, do not get it. It adds weight, raises the center of gravity, lowers the cabin ceiling, adds several more things to break, and does nothing I find useful. Some folks say they feel claustrophobic without a sunroof, but I feel more secure with welded on metal over my head. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts