Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like many others here, I have a 2018 on order. Ordered mine May 31, and it's been sitting in Italy waiting to be shipped since at least July 10 (that was the first time I was told via AR chat that the vehicle had been completed and was waiting to be shipped). I don't believe anyone here has received a MY2018 yet (please correct me if I'm wrong), although some look like they're getting close. I'm in CA, so it's likely mine will take longer to ship that the east coasters.

Reading one of the other threads yesterday (dealer won't quote factory ordered lease/buy), a couple of people posted that the dealers still haven't received 2018 pricing, etc. (here and here), and it looks like that info is stil 3-4 weeks out. I don't know much about how this all works, but I would surmise that dealers won't receive 2018 vehicles before they receive the pricing, etc., so I wonder if our MY2018 orders, although completed, are in a holding pattern until everything is worked out.

Interested to hear others' opinions/thoughts...

·
Registered
693 Posts
I think that the dealers have at least preliminary pricing. When I ordered mine last week, the dealer gave me the exact 2018 price of the car. It shows it on the order screen of the app they use.
What they don't have is any incentives or rebates that may be applicable to 2018 cars.

Reactions: Roo

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Hmm, good points. That 3 to 4 week figure may give us an idea of the time scheduled to do the end of model year clearance and set up the new model year incentives. When were the new model options and prices set? I don't remember exactly but if we can see how much time passed between then and now it might help. I mean like standard forward collision and Harmon Kardon on Quads. We know of at least one car shipped on the Shanghai to NYC, it left port for Baltimore and has been there for a couple days this week. That will probably be the first one. And if it has to sit in NY for a couple weeks, that will give you an idea of the State side delay. But then, since some of it is model year dependent, once we pass a certain date, that wait may shorten a good bit. Or we can hope. This makes me think my car may not arrive until October like the original estimate from my dealer. Of course Hurricane Jose is complicating things on the west side of the Atlantic right now too. We are looking at 40-50 mph gusts with large swells and surf around Tuesday next week.

Reactions: Roo

·
Registered
365 Posts
Purchase pricing has been available from dealers on the 2018 Giulias since early July. By the end of July, both MSRP and invoice pricing including all sub options have been available at various places online (CostcoAuto) and it matches the 2018 pricing from my dealer.

The first boat known to contain 2018 models has already docked (although very breifly) in Newark NJ. That boat, the CSCC Shanghai, is now docked in and has been in the Port of Baltimore since yesterday morning offloading cars including the 2018 Giulias (I have confirmation from Alfa that my 2018 order is on the Shanghai, and my port destination is Baltimore).

Considering the current purchasing and lease incentives run through Monday October 2nd. I think it is reasonable to expect that the next cycle of lease and purchasing incentives that will start on October 3rd should also contain information on the 2018 Giulias if they're going to offer any incentives on them at all. October 3rd also seems to fit nicely with getting the cars through the port inspection and prep process and trucked out to individual dealers.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think that the dealers have at least preliminary pricing. When I ordered mine last week, the dealer gave me the exact 2018 price of the car. It shows it on the order screen of the app they use.
What they don't have is any incentives or rebates that may be applicable to 2018 cars.
Purchase pricing has been available from dealers on the 2018 Giulias since early July. By the end of July, both MSRP and invoice pricing including all sub options have been available at various places online (CostcoAuto) and it matches the 2018 pricing from my dealer.

The first boat known to contain 2018 models has already docked (although very breifly) in Newark NJ. That boat, the CSCC Shanghai, is now docked in and has been in the Port of Baltimore since yesterday morning offloading cars including the 2018 Giulias (I have confirmation from Alfa that my 2018 order is on the Shanghai, and my port destination is Baltimore).

Considering the current purchasing and lease incentives run through Monday October 2nd. I think it is reasonable to expect that the next cycle of lease and purchasing incentives that will start on October 3rd should also contain information on the 2018 Giulias if they're going to offer any incentives on them at all. October 3rd also seems to fit nicely with getting the cars through the port inspection and prep process and trucked out to individual dealers.

Good point(s) on the distinction between purchase pricing and incentives/rebates.
Also good to know your 2018 is on the CSCC Shanghai, wbclassics: congrats! Can you remind me when you placed your order, and what you ordered? I know I've seen it in other threads, but if you could be so kind as to remind me so I don't have to go digging for it, I'd appreciate it!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Good point(s) on the distinction between purchase pricing and incentives/rebates.
Also good to know your 2018 is on the CSCC Shanghai, wbclassics: congrats! Can you remind me when you placed your order, and what you ordered? I know I've seen it in other threads, but if you could be so kind as to remind me so I don't have to go digging for it, I'd appreciate it!
early June is when I put my order in for a Giulia Ti AWD Sport. For exact dates I gave my deposit on June 8th or 9th, dealer officially placed my order in Alfa's system on June 10th. Car was built and went into JB status in early August (August 2nd or 3rd?). Shipped out on the CSCC Shanghai on August 30th.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I ordered within a week of you, so I'm going to hope I got lucky and my car managed to make it on that ship as well. I'm not counting on it though considering I haven't heard a word about my car thus far.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Hmm, good points. That 3 to 4 week figure may give us an idea of the time scheduled to do the end of model year clearance and set up the new model year incentives. When were the new model options and prices set? I don't remember exactly but if we can see how much time passed between then and now it might help. I mean like standard forward collision and Harmon Kardon on Quads. We know of at least one car shipped on the Shanghai to NYC, it left port for Baltimore and has been there for a couple days this week. That will probably be the first one. And if it has to sit in NY for a couple weeks, that will give you an idea of the State side delay. But then, since some of it is model year dependent, once we pass a certain date, that wait may shorten a good bit. Or we can hope. This makes me think my car may not arrive until October like the original estimate from my dealer. Of course Hurricane Jose is complicating things on the west side of the Atlantic right now too. We are looking at 40-50 mph gusts with large swells and surf around Tuesday next week.
I too ordered a MY18 Giulia (early July) and have been told that it was shipped on the Shanghai.
Just yesterday, I was told by my Dealer rep, that she was told by her Regional rep, that all MY18 Giulias will be held (at port facility?) and not delivered until October, at the earliest.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I too ordered a MY18 Giulia (early July) and have been told that it was shipped on the Shanghai.
Just yesterday, I was told by my Dealer rep, that she was told by her Regional rep, that all MY18 Giulias will be held (at port facility?) and not delivered until October, at the earliest.
Thanks for the update. What I don't understand is how you guys ordered your cars after me, yet mine is still sitting in Italy. Maybe it's waiting for a boat bound for the west coast via the Panama Canal, but I don't think John_K has seen ANY boats go that way yet. So have they decided to ship all cars to the east coast and then on land to the west, or is it simply a scheduling thing for west coast-bound boats?

Those are mostly rhetorical questions, and I'm just venting bc the waiting is driving me crazy. I just want to see some progress!!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Thanks for the update. What I don't understand is how you guys ordered your cars after me, yet mine is still sitting in Italy. Maybe it's waiting for a boat bound for the west coast via the Panama Canal, but I don't think John_K has seen ANY boats go that way yet. So have they decided to ship all cars to the east coast and then on land to the west, or is it simply a scheduling thing for west coast-bound boats?

Those are mostly rhetorical questions, and I'm just venting bc the waiting is driving me crazy. I just want to see some progress!!
After they're assembled, they have to get them running.
It takes Guido longer to get some of them running.:wink2:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sounds like standard corporate thinking. Instead of shipping the customer ordered 2018's out to get more Giulia's on the road, and therefore more visibility for the Giulia, they hold them back and irritate their customers. If AlfaRomeoCares reads this pass it along to your management.

·
Registered
576 Posts
After all 100 day supply of 2017 Giulias are sold. Based on the current inventory, I figure the port will release your 2018 car around April 2018.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
After all 100 day supply of 2017 Giulias are sold. Based on the current inventory, I figure the port will release your 2018 car around April 2018.
Haha! And David said delivery might be from October to March. That's not far off!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Ordered mine may 14/15th. No clue where it is. "Contact us" at Alfa website has had the exact same robotic response for 6 weeks. Car is built waiting to be shipped. Alfa Cares said in transit to shipping almost two weeks ago. My rep in Phoenix says it should have 4 wheels and -most probably- the same number of tires. I think the fun and quirky experience of owning my first Alfa has begun. :grin2:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ordered mine may 14/15th. No clue where it is. "Contact us" at Alfa website has had the exact same robotic response for 6 weeks. Car is built waiting to be shipped. Alfa Cares said in transit to shipping almost two weeks ago. My rep in Phoenix says it should have 4 wheels and -most probably- the same number of tires. I think the fun and quirky experience of owning my first Alfa has begun. :grin2:
I think you and I are in the same boat, which is to say our cars should be on the same boat to CA, but aren't! (You're in SoCal if I remember correctly, do I have that right?)

Edit: clearly not paying attention: you even mentioned your rep in Phoenix. What a waste of a pun.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think you and I are in the same boat, which is to say our cars should be on the same boat to CA, but aren't! (You're in SoCal if I remember correctly, do I have that right?)

Edit: clearly not paying attention: you even mentioned your rep in Phoenix. What a waste of a pun.
Hey Roo! Hope we're on same boat. Phoenix region, but I live in Albuquerque. can't wait to get this car.

No pun is wasted

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
2018 Quadrifoglios have hit some of the dealerships here in limited quantities, I would expect another couple months
Really, which dealerships? I find that very hard to believe......

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Really, which dealerships? I find that very hard to believe......
Alfa Romeo of Boston in Wayland has had at least 2 of them come into stock possibly as pre-orders. They have posted them on social media, their first was a black one and then I think a white one after that. Currently no 2018 Giulia or Giulia Quadrifoglio for sale in inventory

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.