Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come to the conclusion that a very high percentage of Alfa owners are car enthusiasts that are passionate about their cars and driving. I also came to the conclusion that most BMW drivers have no clue that they are driving a sports sedan but drive one because the other guys or gals in the office do. Of course this is a very unscientific theory that I have, but it comes from the expressions and actions of the two groups of drivers and the knowledge each has about their respective autos.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
that's it - "the right drivers"

with Alfas, its pretty much all of them, with BMW maybe an equal number, but as a percentage pretty small.

I expect if Alfa gets anything close to the sales numbers hoped for, the % of actual enthusiasts will reduce drastically. Their lexusy advertising is pushing Alfa as a fashion statement, and as embarasing as that is to me, if it means they prosper here then I will accept those who buy it as an accessory to their gucci loafers.

True success is If they start appearing in rap videos.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Things I don't understand:

- Quantum physics and how it relates to my diet
- Why the Fast and Furious movies are as popular as they are
- Why there's an Alfa vs BMW rivalry

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,437 Posts

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
that's it - "the right drivers"

with Alfas, its pretty much all of them, with BMW maybe an equal number, but as a percentage pretty small.

I expect if Alfa gets anything close to the sales numbers hoped for, the % of actual enthusiasts will reduce drastically. Their lexusy advertising is pushing Alfa as a fashion statement, and as embarasing as that is to me, if it means they prosper here then I will accept those who buy it as an accessory to their gucci loafers.

True success is If they start appearing in rap videos.
Call that "Italian-Style" as far as the adverts.......
the "percentage" is smaller because of the sheer volume and variety of models that are offered by BMW....
but most of the the CCA members that I have known for 25+ years have been wonderful folks....of course you have the rabid fan-boys....but I've spotted a few on here as well:grin2:

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think this is an issue of brand awareness. More people know about BMW, therefore more BMW customers exist. Within that customer base is a wider spectrum of users. This includes but isn't limited to: fellow car enthusiasts, posers, and status chasers.

With less customers and less branding, perhaps the majority of AR customers fall more into the car enthusiast category?

As for me, I had a highly modified 2010 BMW 335i and loved it. While I knew who AR was, they didn't offer anything that appealed to me until I saw the Giulia QV. It was happenstance that I drove in a Giulia as I was shopping for a Maserati.

The company I've been working for the past 27 years has the same problem. We're a small 150 person engineering and manufacturing company that has some amazing storage solutions for data centers (these days all-flash arrays and virtual tape libraries). We have better engineering, performance, reliability, and costs than our big name competitors -- but they dominate the media with their brand/advertising budget.

We attract more hardcore "techs" who are open to looking at alternatives, as I'd venture to guess that AR attracts more "true car guys."

Steve

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've come to the conclusion that a very high percentage of Alfa owners are car enthusiasts that are passionate about their cars and driving. I also came to the conclusion that most BMW drivers have no clue that they are driving a sports sedan but drive one because the other guys or gals in the office do. Of course this is a very unscientific theory that I have, but it comes from the expressions and actions of the two groups of drivers and the knowledge each has about their respective autos.
Totally agree

Alfa must go after the "I'm following the herd" mentality of any successful automaker. Enthusiast alone won't sustain Alfa, BMW or any higher end performance mark.

Alfa has done the easy part, selling to enthusiasts, now it'll have to make it's money on the rest of the herd.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Pretty much every Alfa owner I've know, and I've known/met quite a few, is a real car enthusiast. Likewise, I've known/met very many BMW owners that are real car enthusiasts, very similar to classic Alfa owners, especially your 2002 and E30 types... but, for every one of those, I see fifty on an average commute, or in my neighborhood, or at work, that might as well be driving any car that could be seen as a social status signal by the larger herd, from what I can tell. The unfortunate trend I've noticed over the years is that BMW seems to be catering to the latter more than the former for the last five years or so, at least. IMO. Doesn't mean that I still don't drool when I see an Estoril Blue M3.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Pretty much every Alfa owner I've know, and I've known/met quite a few, is a real car enthusiast. Likewise, I've known/met very many BMW owners that are real car enthusiasts, very similar to classic Alfa owners, especially your 2002 and E30 types... but, for every one of those, I see fifty on an average commute, or in my neighborhood, or at work, that might as well be driving any car that could be seen as a social status signal by the larger herd, from what I can tell. The unfortunate trend I've noticed over the years is that BMW seems to be catering to the latter more than the former for the last five years or so, at least. IMO. Doesn't mean that I still don't drool when I see an Estoril Blue M3.
True car fans get the Estoril reference.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Enthusiast alone won't sustain Alfa, BMW or any higher end performance mark.

Alfa has done the easy part, selling to enthusiasts, now it'll have to make it's money on the rest of the herd.
Agree 100%
I consider myself one of the enthusiasts but I try to be tolerant of those criticizing the brand on this forum. They are expressing the views of the non-enthusiast - those who are not willing to overlook the nav issues and stalling issues just because the car is a blast to drive 99% of the time. Alfa is only going to survive in in the USA if it addresses these issues and appeals to a larger group of people. And I want it to survive!

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Wouldn't it be wonderful if Alfa helped create/inspire more car enthusiasts?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well lets face it, the BMW of today is not the BMW of yesterday. They make nice cars but now they are just over engineered, I enjoyed my 4 gran coupe but the alfa to me is in another league. Now M car's are a different animal but I understand where you are getting at. Alfa's Giulia has more of a niche to the enthusiast not so much the grocery getter. As a friend told me, a German car is like a wife, an Italian car is like a mistress...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Things I don't understand:

- Quantum physics and how it relates to my diet
- Why the Fast and Furious movies are as popular as they are
- Why there's an Alfa vs BMW rivalry
Should they be compared to Honda Civics?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
how FIATS advertising and "affiliation" has changed

yes, we can hope that Alfa will turn more people into enthusiasts.
that might be easier if all their cars had 4 modes though.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
What I was trying to say was Alfa Romeo has filled the need in those of us that longed for a car oozing with personality and not just being an upscale people mover. I doubt if you will see "Soccor Mom" bumper stickers on a Giulia but I've seen them on 3 series cars. There is an aura surrounding the Marque that only few makes ever achieve. I know there are passionate Bmw, Audi, etc. owners out there but the percentage appears higher with Alfas.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
Reactions: Rutlefan and alfa55

·
Registered
692 Posts
I just read this article
http://www.laduenews.com/business/testdrive/test-drive-alfa-romeo-full-lineup/article_d40d4d8e-1d26-593b-a655-d26c45355aa1.html
Even though it's from a small-time paper, the guy seems to have a decent understanding the Alfa brand. Here is one quote
If the 4C represents Alfa’s passion, the Giulia represents the company’s understanding of what people want. As great a place as I think the world would be if all cars were rip-snorting thrill rides, I’m the outlier. For most, practicality must come first. And Alfa took its time with the all-new Giulia platform, knowing full well the company’s ultimate success or failure hangs in the balance.
Also,
My prediction is that if Alfa Romeo’s lineup bears out even class-average reliability, you’ll start seeing its trademark triangular grille everywhere. In fact, if that happens, I predict Alfa Romeo will be the fastest-growing brand in the U.S. for the next five years. Incredibly, just like that, Alfa Romeo has become the new high benchmark.
I hope he's right!

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
1 - 20 of 50 Posts