Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great potential as an awesome street sport sedan, but unfortunately if pushed really hard on a track, it will run out of stock brakes and tires..... in less than a full track day.....

You can compensate with better tires, brake pads and brake fluid, plus a necessary negative camber adjustment, but at the end of the day, it was never meant to be a dedicated track car......

Yes, you can drive it around a track at and have fun, but if you are going to compare it to a dedicated track machine driven to its limit, sorry...... it will disappoint in stock form......:crying:

Of course this is only my opinion and I truly love my QV.......

Flame suit on..... let it rip...... and please post some of your videos to prove your point......

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Sounds like a fair assessment but is there really such a thing as a dedicated sedan track car? There are very few sports cars that are really cut out for track duty out of the box either though. Would the CC brakes be enough to make a difference? One thing I noticed and due to a lack of experience I’m not sure what it was; the first session on the track my brakes felt pretty strong but the second time out they bit so hard I thought my helmet was going to rip off my head at the end of the long straight, or maybe the tires needed to be warmer? The car just got gripper and grippier as the day went on. Warmer tires maybe from track time and daytime sun?

That all said the car is way beyond my capabilities but pretty confidence inspiring, at least in Dynamic mode!

Edit to add, next time if we are there together I’d be happy to have install
my GoPro and headreast mount in your QV for a session or two so others on here can be made ill with your track hijinx in the comfort of their own homes. I know FNM came back from a ride with you looking like he just ran a marathon and then someone punched him in the face when he crossed the finish line and then kicked his dog for good measure ;)

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Great potential as an awesome street sport sedan, but unfortunately if pushed really hard on a track, it will run out of stock brakes and tires..... in less than a full track day.....

You can compensate with better tires, brake pads and brake fluid, plus a necessary negative camber adjustment, but at the end of the day, it was never meant to be a dedicated track car......

Yes, you can drive it around a track at and have fun, but if you are going to compare it to a dedicated track machine driven to its limit, sorry...... it will disappoint in stock form......:crying:

Of course this is only my opinion and I truly love my QV.......

Flame suit on..... let it rip...... and please post some of your videos to prove your point......

your analysis was pretty much confirmed already by a forum member Al something or other....in order to make his QV work hard at the track he went through some modifications and even then he commented that the car needed more upfront camber adjustment as well as better brakes & shoes

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like a fair assessment but is there really such a thing as a dedicated sedan track car? There are very few sports cars that are really cut out for track duty out of the box either though. Would the CC brakes be enough to make a difference? One thing I noticed and due to a lack of experience I’m
not sure what it was; the first session on the track my brakes felt pretty strong but the second time out they bit so hard I thought my helmet was going to rip off my head at the end of the long straight, or maybe the tires needed to be warmer? The car just got gripper and grippier as the day went on.

That all said the car is way beyond my capabilities but pretty confidence inspiring, at least in Dynamic mode!
Sport sedans? I would defer to @MDriver and his M car experiences......

For sports cars, GT3 and GT4 would be closer to a dedicated track car out of the box, but still would need tweeking to make it truly a track machine.....

I think you will be amazed by your QV for the next year if you continue attending driving events......

after that let's reconnect and compare notes.......:wink2:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
your analysis was pretty much confirmed already by a forum member Al something or other....in order to make his QV work hard at the track he went through some modifications and even then he commented that the car needed more upfront camber adjustment as well as better brakes & shoes
I hate it when I am late to the party.....>:)

Still looking to chase your QV at MMC in my humble specBoxster........:grin2:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Just out of curiosity how fast were you able to get the QV on the long straight there? I think even in my sadly skilled hands it was cracking into the 140mph zone lol

Unfortunately my instructor’s M Couple sheared five lugs off his last track day and his car was not available to drive along with him so didn’t experience what it’s like to go around there in experienced hands. I offered to let him take my QV out but he declined. I think too at first he didn’t exactly know what the car was and was impressed with the power.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
DMD,
Good luck with the brake upgrade. How did your rotors hold up? If you get a dedicated set of wheels and tires plus the suspension adjustment as well, you might be surprised. Remember all the carbon fiber and DNA in this car from the factory. Lowering springs are a possibility too.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Edit to add, next time if we are there together I’d be happy to have install
my GoPro and headreast mount in your QV for a session or two so others on here can be made ill with your track hijinx in the comfort of their own homes. I know FNM came back from a ride with you looking like he just ran a marathon and then someone punched him in the face when he crossed the finish line and then kicked his dog for good measure ;)
I have that on video already.......>:)

You just can't see much of the track, but you can definitely his helmet be pushed around......:grin2:

Reactions: kanundrum

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just out of curiosity how fast were you able to get the QV on the long straight there? I think even in my sadly skilled hands it was cracking into the 140mph zone lol

Unfortunately my instructor’s M Couple sheared five lugs off his last track day and his car was not available to drive along with him so didn’t experience what it’s like to go around there in experienced hands. I offered to let him take my QV out but he declined. I think too at first he didn’t exactly know what the car was and was impressed with the power.
I may only have gotten up to 150mph..... so you were driving well..... of course the corner speed at LRP is what is the real factor...... but that can only be measured with data.....
I won't be shy to drive your QV next time to maybe show you a different prospective.....
I just won't be responsible for your tire or brake wear.....>:), but than again, for one session it should be OK.....:grin2:

Reactions: kanundrum

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DMD,
Good luck with the brake upgrade. How did your rotors hold up? If you get a dedicated set of wheels and tires plus the suspension adjustment as well, you might be surprised. Remember all the carbon fiber and DNA in this car from the factory. Lowering springs are a possibility too.
I am hoping the rotors are not warped...... but who knows......

My QV has been at the track, now that she has that out of her system she will continue to be the "HOT" street sport sedan that BMW and Mercs will be daring to challenge!>:)

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I know FNM came back from a ride with you looking like he just ran a marathon and then someone punched him in the face when he crossed the finish line and then kicked his dog for good measure ;)
LOL love that.. you know me well already.. you don't mess with my dog! ;)

I was carefully balancing thoughts of "what if SOMETHING fails.. will I survive at this speed? vs. he's an amazing driver he knows what he's doing. I'd texted my wife before we went out to tell her I loved her as a last message ;D

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
My QV has been at the track, now that she has that out of her system she will continue to be the "HOT" street sport sedan that BMW and Mercs will be daring to challenge!>:)
QUITTER... ;) Camber was off like some other forum members or would generally need adjusting?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@FNM you are just too funny.....LOL

Reactions: John_K_348 and FNM

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Dear DMD....do you think CCB would have made a difference ? Obviously the tire wear was also a big issue....

·
Registered
167 Posts
BostonDMD. Looks like you can to the same conclusion we did after our first and only track venture with the Giulia. You may recall my post last year but in short we toasted the front rotors (heat stress fractures through the rotor annual) and ran the factory pads to the backing plate (pad sensor warning did allow us to avoid scoring the rotor) and both front tyres within 4 sessions at the track (just over half a day). Advanced track driver/instructor etc. Steel rotor set up. We made a video. Im in the green GT4.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
BostonDMD. Looks like you can to the same conclusion we did after our first and only track venture with the Giulia. You may recall my post last year but in short we toasted the front rotors (heat stress fractures through the rotor annual) and ran the factory pads to the backing plate (pad sensor warning did allow us to avoid scoring the rotor) and both front tyres within 4 sessions at the track (just over half a day). Advanced track driver/instructor etc. Steel rotor set up. We made a video. Im in the green GT4. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J77ccoVAHQ0
Great video and very nice driving on both cars!

Thanks for your input, much appreciated!
Glad to hear that my experiences are echoed by other advanced drivers!:smile2:

Keep the videos of the GT4 coming, that is another option for me if I ever decide to stop racing and sell the spec Boxster......

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
x2 well put together video! Did I see a drone fly by?? I wanted to bring mine to LRP but sadly they are banned there

Looks like a similar end result! I think our vendors need to get on this next! :)

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
Great video and very nice driving on both cars!

Thanks for your input, much appreciated!
Glad to hear that my experiences are echoed by other advanced drivers!:smile2:

Keep the videos of the GT4 coming, that is another option for me if I ever decide to stop racing and sell the spec Boxster......
know of a GT4 for sale:grin2: GT Silver Paint non-sport seats though only 2800 miles

1 - 20 of 111 Posts