Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my wife and I expecting our first child in less than a month now, a sensible family-oriented replacement to my beloved, yet troubled E36 M3 Coupe was required.

Something with an auto-box, modern airbags, 4 doors and Isofix, the Alfa was clearly a natural choice, right? Anyone?

In reality, my wife and I have been obsessing over this car since it's announcement in mid-2015, she's no car-guy, but even she loves the thing.

The brief was 'as close to a QV as I can spec a base Giulia, but with a sunroof'. So I introduce my (custom ordered) Giulia Ti Sport RWD with performance pack in Montecarlo Blue, on collection day:

Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Sport by TheDukeGTi, on Flickr

No other photos just yet.

I thought I'd miss the 'feel' of the 90's sports coupe, but having taken the Giulia round some twisty's last weekend, I'm not feeling as starved for 'feel' as I thought. It certainly feels as dynamic as the old Bimmer, despite it's larger size. I've also driven the new M3 in anger and it's not a million miles away from that either. Seriously impressed!

The sunroof is ridiculously loud at highway speeds; way louder than the E36, which is a little disappointing. I could easily hold a conversation at 70 in that, but no way in the Giulia. It has a bigger opening I suppose, but still.

I've never owned a new car before, in fact, I've never owned anything younger than 10 years before, but the dealership experience wasn't particularly inspiring. I certainly wasn't very impressed with the communication, or presentation when I picked up the car. I'm British, and I get the impression these things are done a little differently in the States.

I did like that my name was printed on the window sticker though, that was a cool touch!

But the car itself is lovely; getting lots of attention, and it drives beautifully. The baby seat is a little snug in the back though, perhaps I should've tried that first!

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Congrats :grin2: (for the new car and new baby)

We also have a Montecarlo Blue Ti that we special ordered. We went with the Lusso interior (cream and wood) and the Ti Performance Package giving us an LSD and paddles. I didn't like the silver spoke wheel that are part of the Lusso pack, so I bought dark 5 holes like you have.

Sweet car. We have 13,000 miles on her now.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Great choice! As for safety, it has the highest safety rating in it's class. Congrats on a beautiful car, and also on managing to take photos that are about as good as any I've seen that show what Monte Carlo Blue actually looks like. It's a gorgeous color. I've had mine now for 8 months and I couldn't be happier with it. Like Racer Z, I also got the Crema interior and I've gotten nothing but compliments on it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Congrats on a great choice of car and colour combo! (I'm biased of course :)). And congrats on the imminent new arrival too.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Congrats x2!! :)

That's the exterior color combo I wanted at first, Monte Carlo blue with red calipers, but I couldn't pick red interior with Monte Carlo exterior for some reason so I switched to Vulcano black exterior.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
welcome and greats! Stunning looking, get used to that attention and people screaming "OH LOOK A NEW ALFA!" :D

As a father of two year old you chose the right car.. enjoy every moment!

·
Registered
580 Posts
I think it's a great family car. Plenty of space, good fuel economy and performance. I am a big fan of the sports sedan concept, and I think the Giulia is currently the best sports sedan. It looks fantastic in Blue, I still haven't seen a blue one in real life.

Greg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Great choice!! I have a 17 month old girl that loves my Alfa! I’m definitely the coolest Dad at daycare too! Enjoy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
How long does the whole process take? I'm 100% sure I'm going to buy a giulia in the next year or so and dream build for me isn't available in any dealerships near me. I would consider ordering a custom build but it would totally be tough knowing that it could take a few months for the car to be delivered.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How long does the whole process take? I'm 100% sure I'm going to buy a giulia in the next year or so and dream build for me isn't available in any dealerships near me. I would consider ordering a custom build but it would totally be tough knowing that it could take a few months for the car to be delivered.
Ordered early January, collected April 25. The communication was pretty lacking though, so you're unlikely to know anything until the week before collection. That was my experience at least.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
A special order for the 2.0 (base Giulia and Ti) takes about four months. The 2.9 (Quadrifoglio) seems to take about six months. The bigger problem will be finding a dealer willing to do a special order.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the replies folks. I’m really enjoying the car, and really getting to know it while I still have the opportunity to go out for guilt-free drives (well, as much as you can driving a gasoline-powered vehicle in California, but I digress). Naturally, I’ve been comparing it to cars that I’ve recently driven, and I have to say, I’m impressed.

Firstly, it’s bloody quick. I can totally understand the appeal of the Quadrifoglio, and I’m sure it’s not just extra pace that you’re buying for double the price of mine, but nevertheless, I can’t help but think I’ve gotten a bit of a bargain with this car; it can’t possibly be 50% the car of a Quad.

It’s very well balanced and composed, and I’ve been very impressed with the Potenza’s (I think?) that’re on it. I do prefer the Michelin Supersports I had on my M3, but since these cars are twenty years apart, and I’m no car journalist, I’m certainly no authority on that.

The only issue I’ve found with the handling so far, which has differed from my M3, and the new one at that, is that on tight or even hair-pin turns, where it’s really leaning in, I’ve found it bouncing around on the front outside corner; it’s really the only time I’ve found it to be anything but 100% composed. I’ve tried ‘Dynamic’ mode with and without the dampers in soft, still seems to pitch a little. I guess it must have something to do with the traction control cutting in? This could very well be where the Quad shines?

The other negative, as mentioned before is the ridiculously loud sunroof, which really is a disappointment. Hopefully I can find a wind deflector or something when the aftermarket for these cars ramp up a little.

Other than that, I’m totally in love with the thing. I miss the manual less than I thought. I’m not starved for ‘feel’ like I thought I would be with a modern car. I have literally zero regrets in not going for the ‘obvious’ choice of a 3 series.

I gave it it’s first quick rise (it’d be a disservice to call it a wash) as it ticked over 500 miles yesterday, on a somewhat rare dreary day in California, it even rained a little after I’d cleaned it, you can take the English out of England…

Here’s some pics. The light wasn’t great, and it appears Montecarlo blue is a tricky colour to capture, but I still think it looks pretty great.

Till next time…

I forgot to grab an interior shot again! Here’s a little bonus long-armed one, you even get a little big of leg. Enjoy!

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
805 Posts
Welcome &

Congrats...

you’re gonna love the drive. This car gets under your skin!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts