Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
when you disconnect car from battery, this appears then goes away. Reached out to Auto Fanatic. He also experienced shutdown issues with his QV, but in his case while driving on a highway, which is scary ..

I had auto stop/start just because I was almost home and low on fuel. I only drive in Race mode but when low on fuel, I switch to eco and enable start/stop. When this happened, I had start/stop enabled. I wonder if I didn't would car shutdown as well.

As far as tow, trust me Im counting my lucky stars I didn't have to use it. Thats why I kept on trying to start the car while waiting. Last thing I want is to have this car f-ed up while getting on a flat bed.
If your auto Stop/Start was working then the battery was properly charged. The auto Stop/Start does not work when the battery is not properly charged. Did you test your battery and is it above 12.6 and 13v? I tend to agree that it may be water some where in the electrical system (just because it happened after the car wash) or fuel supply.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
yes start/stop worked. Car was off when I washed the car.

Im thinking it could be fuel related. As mentioned before, last year I already had an issue where gauge incorrectly was displaying fuel level. Even though fuel tank was full, it was still showing little below half a tank ( that is where it was before refueling ). While I continue to drive, right after refueling, half a tank decreased to empty tank according to the gauge until I got a red low fuel indicator. Disconnecting the battery fixed the gauge reading, and it correctly showed 3/4 level This was last year, and about 3k miles ago. Since then, I didn't have any issue until today.

If your auto Stop/Start was working then the battery was properly charged. The auto Stop/Start does not work when the battery is not properly charged. Did you test your battery and is it above 12.6 and 13v? I tend to agree that it may be water some where in the electrical system (just because it happened after the car wash) or fuel supply.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,773 Posts
Out of curiosity I took off my foot well cover on the passenger side to see if there's any water stains, I noticed this plastic covering the fuses, I have a 2019 Giulia Q4, I didn't notice this on the 2017, is it possible they did this to prevent water from getting on the fuse box/control module? View attachment 112083
Weird. My 2018 doesn't have that.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,194 Posts
That is true if he had a lead-acid battery. He actually has an Antigravity battery and the different voltage and different internal resistance means that there is little chance that the start-stop deactivation when the battery is insufficiently charged diagnosis holds.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Based on your description, the first suspect is fuel. When the gauge shows 1/4 tank, you actually have less than 2 1/2 gallons of fuel. At the point where you're getting the warning light, you may have 5-10 miles of range at best, depending on how long the light was on. The range indicator is not reliable. The fact that the engine was turning over but the car wouldn't start indicates that it may not have had enough fuel pressurized in the system to start the car. I generally never let mine get below 1/4 tank, because below that you could get fuel starvation issues when cornering at any kind of performance speed. These new high pressure fuel systems can actually be damaged if the car runs out of fuel. Hopefully you didn't do any damage, because from the symptoms you describe it sounds like you literally ran out of gas.

Fill the car with gas, and see if the warning lights go away. If they don't, do the battery-disconnect-reset one more time and see if that fixes it. If it doesn't, you'll probably want a full diagnostic run by the dealer to see if there's anything in the fuel system that's not working properly.

·
Registered
256 Posts
When the gauge shows 1/4 tank, you actually have less than 2 1/2 gallons of fuel
Not sure where you draw this conclusion. I've used the fuel gauge consistently and reliably on my 2018 QV.
1/4 Tank indicated: 4 gallons left
First yellow fuel warning: 3 gallons left.
Second yellow light warning (no bars left): 2 gallons left
Red light warning: 1 gallon left

·
Registered
257 Posts
Not sure where you draw this conclusion. I've used the fuel gauge consistently and reliably on my 2018 QV.
I believe there's a software update for the gauge cluster to make the fuel readings more accurate. It's possible that you already have this update and the OP does not. This is the reason why I have gone on rants with other members on this site about how dealers should be doing ALL updates critical and non critical.

·
Registered
10 Posts
„The car was in economy mode.“ That‘s the issue, she doesn‘t like this mode at all and was keen to be driven in Race! 😉

·
Registered
173 Posts
That is true if he had a lead-acid battery. He actually has an Antigravity battery and the different voltage and different internal resistance means that there is little chance that the start-stop deactivation when the battery is insufficiently charged diagnosis holds.
OP is having electrical issues and has a different battery.. If I had to guess the car was not charging the battery correctly due to it not thinking it was low.

·
Registered
173 Posts

Car does not think the battery is dead and is not charging it properly. Regular ca batteries that come in the car drain and show lower voltages and I am sure the car picks up on this and uses some complicated process to determine how to charge the battery.

Lithium batteries do not work this way. Do you have a lithium beard trimmer or lawn mower etc? They do not get low and then kind of get slower and stop working... they just run fully blast to like 99.9% then slow down for a split second and then just flat out die. No warning.

Most likely this is what happened with your car. The cars charging system was like welp this thing is good to go no reason to charge it... also start stop was working because the voltage was reading normal or high.

But the battery was dead. You got lucky unplugging it and plugging it back in and got enough juice to crank it finally.

Simply put lithium batteries and regular car batteries are very different. Our cars were not designed for a Lithium battery and I would put my money on this being the issue.

Just my guess.

·
Registered
93 Posts
This exact thing just happened to me.
I picked up my car after turbos were replaced.I noticed at dealer the car was parked facing down at slope, but I didn't care too much at that time.
I had 3 bars on gas, and after driving while, it went down to 1 white bar(Not red), then engine stopped on highway!
It clearly had 1 white bar, but after resetting via disconnecting battery gas level went 0...
Road assistance brought gas and that was it. It sure was scary especially after turbo replacement.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
My "conclusion" is from measurements made with my own car. When the gauge says I have a 1/4 of a tank that holds 15.3 gallons, I fill up and it takes about 13 gallons. I've never let it get down to the warning light stage. When I first got the car, I let my gauge get down to 1/8 tank and when I filled up I was shocked to see it take about 14 gallons. That meant I only had barely over one gallon left; not exactly 1/8 of 15.3 gallons which should be almost 2 gallons. If I got down to the warning light, I would have less than a gallon left in the tank.

So when your gas gauge is at 1/4 tank, and you fill up, it takes no more than 11.5 gallons? If that's true, then your gauge is accurately representing what's in the tank, which would be 3.825 gallons at the 1/4 tank mark. On my 2017 I have about 2.3 gallons at the 1/4 tank mark. Traditionally auto makers have their gauges calibrated so there's around a 2 gallon reserve below empty, so that people who let their gas run out until "empty" have enough left to get to a gas station under normal circumstances. On my car, the reserve is all above the full mark. After I fill up, I can drive a long time before the gauge drops below full.

If there is a software update that re-calibrates the gas gauge, I haven't received that since I no longer have a local dealer, and the next closest one is 350 miles away in another state.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The problem may well be your Antigravity battery. I love these ultralight lithium batteries and have gone through 3 of them on my race car. But I have learned that they are very finicky and, depending on the model, can shut themselves down even if not discharged. I would switch to an AGM for this application.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I don't think its the battery, as stated before, others had same "shutdown" issue with their QVs and they don't have Antigravity battery. Auto Fanatics QV shutdown multiple times while driving on the highway. I don't believe he has antigravity.

I think its fuel supply issue.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I keep trying to start the car by disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds, and then start again. I forget how many times I disconnected the battery, but I finally got the car started, and managed to crawl home. Every time I saw a red light on my way back I was yelling " TURN GREEN MotherFU**er !!!!!"
I was afraid car would shut off again, if I were to stop at the red light.

Still gonna go with battery issue. As if it were out of gas then it would not have started or made it home. You got lucky and it had enough amps to crank one more time after letting it sit and get the alternator running IMO.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Is it possible the antigravity batteries don’t like the pizza oven temps in the QV trunk? Hot day amd failure after pushing it hard may be a tell?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I keep trying to start the car by disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds, and then start again. I forget how many times I disconnected the battery, but I finally got the car started, and managed to crawl home. Every time I saw a red light on my way back I was yelling " TURN GREEN MotherFU**er !!!!!"
I was afraid car would shut off again, if I were to stop at the red light.

Still gonna go with battery issue. As if it were out of gas then it would not have started or made it home. You got lucky and it had enough amps to crank one more time after letting it sit and get the alternator running IMO.
There's fuel in the system in addition to the tank itself. If for a moment the system got an interrupt when pulling from the tank, as in a fuel starvation issue, that would cause it to shut down. By sitting there and not moving, enough fuel may have gathered at the fuel pick-up point to get a full pressurized charge in the system; just enough to get him home. I would check fuel first, then battery. It could be both, although it would be really weird timing to have both happen at the same time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I don't think its the battery, as stated before, others had same "shutdown" issue with their QVs and they don't have Antigravity battery. Auto Fanatics QV shutdown multiple times while driving on the highway. I don't believe he has antigravity.

I think its fuel supply issue.
When the Antigravity batteries begin to fail, I have noticed that all the electrics in the car still work, simply cannot get it to crank or crank enough to start, except maybe getting lucky (like after your battery cooled down). I would send your battery to Antigravity and have them test it. I believe they typically have a 3 year warranty.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts