Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2018 Alfa QV with about 5800 miles.

Had a wonderful 3 hour drive today AM around Hawk Nest NY. "Perfect" car, perfect weather, perfect roads, perfect scenery, hardly anybody on the road. Then time came to head home. Ofcourse, this being NY / NJ, you have D*ck heads riding your bumper on Garden State. Triggered +1

I get within 5 miles of my home and I decide to do a quick stop at one of those self service car wash places. Just spray the exterior with water, to get rid of bugs and dust. I leave the car wash and get to the intersection to the main road ( abut 100 feet ), car f*cking shuts off. Not sure whats going on, I try to fire up, but nothing. I can hear car is barely cranking, but not firing. I press start button again, same thing. Again, same thing, I let go of the Start/Stop button car is still cranking by itself for the next 10 seconds or so then stops.

I get out, disconnect the battery for 10 seconds, try again, same thing. Car is struggling to crank, Christmas light show on the dashboard, no go. I disconnect battery another 10+ times nothing. Im stranded in the middle of the road, telling people to go around me.

I call Alfa Roadside Assistance, 1.844.253.2872, business cards says 24 hours, 7 days a week, well voice mail says they are closed on Sundays, and to call 1.855.299.1368 ... F*ck Im getting pissed by the minute. I call that #, and since this is my first time calling, they text me a link to a website I have to go to first, to fill my information first ( name / phone / car vin # etc ) ....

Mind you, outside is 90+ degrees and humid. Inside the car is even hotter. Im dripping in sweat. I can't be inside the car, and outside in the sunshine I can barely see whats on the screen of my phone. Somehow, I fill out the information and FINALLY get a tow company dispatch on the phone.. I was hoping I would get ALFA representative, to maybe give me some kind of directions, but no........... they DON"T WORK ON SUNDAYS.

I setup a tow truck, and while waiting, I keep trying to start the car by disconnecting the battery for 10 seconds, and then start again. I forget how many times I disconnected the battery, but I finally got the car started, and managed to crawl home. Every time I saw a red light on my way back I was yelling " TURN GREEN MotherFU**er !!!!!"
I was afraid car would shut off again, if I were to stop at the red light.

Now I need to figure out what the hell happened.

1) I was low on fuel, little less than a 1/4 in the tank. Had yellow warning message. I was driving the car in economy mode, and had auto start/stop engaged when I pulled to wash the car. If fuel gauge was showing little less than 1/4 gas in the tank, and mileage was showing " ------- " , could that cause the car to randomly shut off ? Last year, I had an incident where fuel gauge was still showing empty tank right after refueling. Had to disconnect the battery to reset the computer and get proper reading

2) I sprayed the car with water before this happened. Could water cause some kind of electrical issue, causing the car to shut off ?

Another thing I noticed, when car shuts off, parking brake engaged automatically. If the car is OFF, is there a way to overwrite the electrical parking brake, so I can push the car out of the harms way ?

I love this car, but Im getting very annoyed with everything being controlled by a computer.... This is my LAST "NEW" sports car that I will ever buy. The whole "everything is controlled by a computer thing" is getting on my nerves.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Probably out of gas and bad battery. Best to buy your own H8 from AutoZone. Seems like a bad strike of luck.

Parking brake engages if you're on an incline. You maybe need go through the settings in the infotainment system and set up the car how you like it.

If you're battery is dead, no way to disengage park unless you jack the car up and install a 10mm bolt.

Always disengage start/stop when starting your car. It doesn't work for shit and drains your battery.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im using antigravity battery, electrically everything worked. I was able to open and lock the car, radio worked, lights worked. I have this battery since last may. Im using antigravity on my 997 TT, no issues

I don't trust that fuel gauge. It was showing little less than 1/4 of gas, before and after I managed to restart the car. Plus I was able to drive home after the restart..

·
Registered
511 Posts
Im using antigravity battery, electrically everything worked. I was able to open and lock the car, radio worked, lights worked. I have this battery since last may. Im using antigravity on my 997 TT, no issues

I don't trust that fuel gauge. It was showing little less than 1/4 of gas, before and after I managed to restart the car. Plus I was able to drive home after the restart..
There's a recall on the car if the tank is below half and you park on an incline, the fuel gauge will read full.

Suggest you use an AGM battery size H8 unless you can program the computer to a different battery size. 99% of electrical problems are battery related on this car.

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,830 Posts
Did water infiltrate the interior of the car at the passengers feet? Open up the passenger footwell to inspect the fuse panel and I believe the Body Control Module.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looked at it quickly, seems dry. Will dig in deeper later on..

As far as handbrake, do you guys know how to manually release it in case you have to push the car ? When car is off.

·
Registered
511 Posts
looked at it quickly, seems dry. Will dig in deeper later on..

As far as handbrake, do you guys know how to manually release it in case you have to push the car ? When car is off.
If you're battery is dead, no way to disengage park unless you jack the car up and install a 10mm bolt. Not sure about parking brake, may need to jump car to power the system to disengage parking brake.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
turned on the car just now with no issue. Now it shows actual mileage on remaining fuel.... looks like it has 6267 miles, stand corrected

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
959 Posts
Wouldnt disconnecting/reconnecting the battery kill the battery? If so i guess the battery wasnt the issue. Most likely that f-in relay switch (if you havent had it replaced yet).

And yes, it seems like on Sunday folks are SOL as far as support which is insane. They should at least run a skeleton crew what with people working from home these days IMHO.

With the parking brake engaged you should really be thanking your lucky stars that you didnt end up needed to use the tow. Please, turn off auto-stop-start!!! I forgot to once and got stuck on a back-road intersection(relay issue).

Although, the fact that your engine was trying to turn over might mean that the relay wasnt an issue. FYI disconnecting the battery means no error codes are recorded so it probably wont be easy to diagnose.

Keep us posted on what you find out, and good luck!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Check out auto fanatic video showing water ingress into car. Sounds like your ventilation wasn’t in mode “m” believe where vent will be closed. Water intrusion is known issue and can end up in body control module above passenger footwell. Good luck

·
Registered
273 Posts
There's a TSB for failing fuel pump when the tank gets low on fuel. Check the Positive and negative battery terminals, make sure they are tight, several people have had loose connections. BCM and Starter Relays are also a known problem and there's a newer part number, hopefully the newer relay is a improved design. Make sure ALL SOFTWARE UPDATES ARE DONE. And lastly make sure you have good battery, failing batteries are a VERY common problem, from what others have said batteries labeled Alfa Romeo are the older less reliable and the newer batteries that seems to be more reliable say Mopar on them.
GOOD LUCK.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
when you disconnect car from battery, this appears then goes away. Reached out to Auto Fanatic. He also experienced shutdown issues with his QV, but in his case while driving on a highway, which is scary ..

You have a throttle body issue per the indicator.
I had auto stop/start just because I was almost home and low on fuel. I only drive in Race mode but when low on fuel, I switch to eco and enable start/stop. When this happened, I had start/stop enabled. I wonder if I didn't would car shutdown as well.

As far as tow, trust me Im counting my lucky stars I didn't have to use it. Thats why I kept on trying to start the car while waiting. Last thing I want is to have this car f-ed up while getting on a flat bed.

Wouldnt disconnecting/reconnecting the battery kill the battery? If so i guess the battery wasnt the issue. Most likely that f-in relay switch (if you havent had it replaced yet).

And yes, it seems like on Sunday folks are SOL as far as support which is insane. They should at least run a skeleton crew what with people working from home these days IMHO.

With the parking brake engaged you should really be thanking your lucky stars that you didnt end up needed to use the tow. Please, turn off auto-stop-start!!! I forgot to once and got stuck on a back-road intersection(relay issue).

Although, the fact that your engine was trying to turn over might mean that the relay wasnt an issue. FYI disconnecting the battery means no error codes are recorded so it probably wont be easy to diagnose.

Keep us posted on what you find out, and good luck!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,235 Posts
You appear to be out of fuel. Some QVs had a recall relating to the fuel tank pickup and the saddle shaped fuel tank; I do not know the affected model years.

The transmission parking pawl release bolt for the 4 cylinder Giulia is 6mm. If you get a hex head bolt the head is probably 10mm, but that is not the size of the bolt. I do not know if the QVs larger transmission uses the same bolt, but I suspect that it does. In normal operation the pawl is released by hydraulic pressure and that pressure comes from a pump that runs off the engine, so to release the pawl your choices are insert the bolt or start the engine.

If you have normal length arms and don't mind lying down on the street, it is possible to insert the bolt without lifting the car. The bolt hole is next to the exhaust pipe and you will not be able to see where you are putting your hand so beware.

The parking brake is actuated by an electric motor. I do not think it can be released with a bolt but I do think it can be released if the car simply has electrical power.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Did water infiltrate the interior of the car at the passengers feet? Open up the passenger footwell to inspect the fuse panel and I believe the Body Control Module.
Yes on some cars water can penetrate in car washes where the car is still running because the vent in front of the windscreen stays open. Always turn off the engine in car washes.Could that be a problem?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
You appear to be out of fuel. Some QVs had a recall relating to the fuel tank pickup and the saddle shaped fuel tank; I do not know the affected model years.

The transmission parking pawl release bolt for the 4 cylinder Giulia is 6mm. If you get a hex head bolt the head is probably 10mm, but that is not the size of the bolt. I do not know if the QVs larger transmission uses the same bolt, but I suspect that it does. In normal operation the pawl is released by hydraulic pressure and that pressure comes from a pump that runs off the engine, so to release the pawl your choices are insert the bolt or start the engine.

If you have normal length arms and don't mind lying down on the street, it is possible to insert the bolt without lifting the car. The bolt hole is next to the exhaust pipe and you will not be able to see where you are putting your hand so beware.

The parking brake is actuated by an electric motor. I do not think it can be released with a bolt but I do think it can be released if the car simply has electrical power.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Check out auto fanatic video showing water ingress into car. Sounds like your ventilation wasn’t in mode “m” believe where vent will be closed. Water intrusion is known issue and can end up in body control module above passenger footwell. Good luck
Out of curiosity I took off my foot well cover on the passenger side to see if there's any water stains, I noticed this plastic covering the fuses, I have a 2019 Giulia Q4, I didn't notice this on the 2017, is it possible they did this to prevent water from getting on the fuse box/control module?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts