Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has been a long time coming and with some trepidation I picked up my my car today. I want to thank you guys for keeping me in line as over the past 4 months I questioned my sanity in ordering it. Now that I have it.......well is it so much more than I ever anticipated. I only put on 20 miles but OMG is this thing fast. I sold my Benz C63 AMG and that was a fast car but nothing like this. What is amazing is the response, just immediate almost like it can read your mind (Poetic license). From the accelaration to the cornering and just how it rides and feel. By comparison the Benz felt big and heavy, lets not mention lack of soul. I know that I only had it for at most one hour but I can already report one major issue (for me). I wish they did not tied the exhaust note to race mode. Already mentione on this forum. I can already see myself getting in trouble by running it in Race mode all the time. Also, I am also pleasantly surprised as to how well it is built, great materials and just solid. Oh man, am I goign to have fun with this. Oh, yes one question this a competition red but for some reason I was expecting a much brighter color. The sales guy said that it will be a totally different color in bright sunshine, it is cloudy here today. Is that accurate?

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
Congratulations, beautiful car!

Your description of the first hour was mine almost exactly. I'm telling you, the car is evil (in a good way), it wants to go fast, I can tell when I put it in N its not happy although it drives wonderfully in N, its just not happy. It doesn't care how many speeding tickets you get it wants to be in D or R to be satisfied. Kinda like that girl your mother warned you about.

Have fun...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Congrats! Enjoy it in good health!.......

(I got to admit, I'm a bit jealous.......:D)

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Congrats on the delivery! The comp red is an awesome color and is chameleon-like. It is brighter in direct so light and takes on a maroon-ish darker shade in the shadows.

Have fun!

Reactions: peczenij

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looks like you didn't have to order the Carbon Ceramic Brakes on yours. I just ordered mine and did not opt for the CCB's, although there is a lot of people saying that it is now mandatory...?

How many miles were on your car when you picked it up from the dealer?

Car looks amazing in that red... i love it!

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Auguri! It will pop in the sun. I kinda like how it looks more neutral and flat under clouds. You can almost appreciate the forms and shapes a bit more. Mandatory CC brakes? Weird, I would beg to differ. Maybe they will offer a good rebate now after spiking it to 8K and saying there was a carbon fiber shortage. Still, they are really unnecessary and are a huge cost whether 5 or 8k. Paying customers will order what they want. I am only now getting my mind around the gray alcantara only interiors.

My good news is I closed on my home equity loan this morning and will easily afford a Quad in the next year or so. My new broker adviser has given me a good discount on my fees for joining the larger investment group at the firm and plowing in my late wife's IRAs. He also encouraged me to go ahead and balance some losses with gains in my "mad money" portfolio. Cha-ching! One of the brokers in the group is a car guy so we will talk next week.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Welcome to the club!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like you didn't have to order the Carbon Ceramic Brakes on yours. I just ordered mine and did not opt for the CCB's, although there is a lot of people saying that it is now mandatory...?

How many miles were on your car when you picked it up from the dealer?

Car looks amazing in that red... i love it!
It had 32 miles. I opted for the least options as possible as it was over my budget as it is. I am not a fan of ceramic brakes for just normal driving. I had them in the C63 and when it came time to replaced them it I had to take a loan they were so expensive. The only options that I have is the paint, of course, carbon steering wheels, HK radio upgrade and dark Tecnico wheels. I like these wheels over the others. It shows so well the the massive brake discs and they are massive. Drove it to work today and already two idiots wanted a piece of it. I just let them go, first I need to learn the limits of this car before I take anyone on. Oh yes, I have to thank my lovely wife for not only allowing me, at the ripe old age of 62, to buy this thing, but also for helping me financially to get it. Since she makes a lot more money than I do there was no other way. Luckely she understand my passion for fast cars. I have had 6 Alfas in the past and the last one was a very rare 1994 164 Quadrifoglio.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It had 32 miles. I opted for the least options as possible as it was over my budget as it is. I am not a fan of ceramic brakes for just normal driving. I had them in the C63 and when it came time to replaced them it I had to take a loan they were so expensive. The only options that I have is the paint, of course, carbon steering wheels, HK radio upgrade and dark Tecnico wheels. I like these wheels over the others. It shows so well the the massive brake discs and they are massive. Drove it to work today and already two idiots wanted a piece of it. I just let them go, first I need to learn the limits of this car before I take anyone on. Oh yes, I have to thank my lovely wife for not only allowing me, at the ripe old age of 62, to buy this thing, but also for helping me financially to get it. Since she makes a lot more money than I do there was no other way. Luckely she understand my passion for fast cars. I have had 6 Alfas in the past and the last one was a very rare 1994 164 Quadrifoglio.
Again, beautiful combo you ordered. And yes, i agree on the CCB's. Unless you're taking these to the track on a regular basis, no need for that upgrade. Congrats on the car. Hopefully ill be in mine by September!

Waiting patiently...

·
Registered
641 Posts
It has been a long time coming and with some trepidation I picked up my my car today. I want to thank you guys for keeping me in line as over the past 4 months I questioned my sanity in ordering it. Now that I have it.......well is it so much more than I ever anticipated. I only put on 20 miles but OMG is this thing fast. I sold my Benz C63 AMG and that was a fast car but nothing like this. What is amazing is the response, just immediate almost like it can read your mind (Poetic license). From the accelaration to the cornering and just how it rides and feel. By comparison the Benz felt big and heavy, lets not mention lack of soul. I know that I only had it for at most one hour but I can already report one major issue (for me). I wish they did not tied the exhaust note to race mode. Already mentione on this forum. I can already see myself getting in trouble by running it in Race mode all the time. Also, I am also pleasantly surprised as to how well it is built, great materials and just solid. Oh man, am I goign to have fun with this. Oh, yes one question this a competition red but for some reason I was expecting a much brighter color. The sales guy said that it will be a totally different color in bright sunshine, it is cloudy here today. Is that accurate?
Alfaguy:

I am waiting on my Rosso Competizione QV (due August). I found a shop that is working on a controller to keep the exhaust flap open in all modes if selected. In other words, you can have Race mode sound in d, n or a settings. Here's the text of the email with contact info:

Steve Bisel <[email protected]> May 10 at 4:28 PM
To
'Simon Middleton'
Message body
Hello Simon,

I am testing the controller on two Guilia’s at this time. The first test (from an owner in the Netherlands) has come back with positive results. I made a minor adjustment to the controller configuration and am conducted a second test (with an owner in the USA), that should have results within 2 weeks or so.

Preliminary results is that the controller will only be able to provide two modes of operation …
1. Normal (the car’s ECU controls the exhaust flap valves just it does now)
2. Always Open … you will have ability to open force the flapper valves open at all times.

The controller has the ability for a third function … Always Closed … however, in the first test when this option was enabled, the sensors in the exhaust detected too much back pressure when in RACE mode, forced an immediate Check Engine Light warning. This only occurred in RACE mode. In the second test, the Always Closed option is disabled and a different car is used for this evaluation. I am fairly confident that the second level of testing will be successful.

In summary, it is likely that for the Guilia, only two modes will be enabled (Normal and Open). This should not be a problem because when you want to have the valves closed, switching to normal mode and reducing the engine RPM will cross the threshold where the ECU will close the valves. Normally, you would want this when going fairly slow anyway.

The only disadvantage is that the Always Closed option has been a desirable option for people who track their cars at venues that limit the sound level. It is appearing that for the Guilia, I won’t be able to offer this option as the car’s sensors don’t seem to like it. Throwing a Check Engine Light will not be option for most owners. But, with the Always Open option, you will have the option to keep the valves open for that throaty exhaust note at low or high engine RPM levels.

I will notify you when I have the product ready for sale.

Kind regards,

Steve Bisel

[email protected]
480 227 3474

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
It had 32 miles. I opted for the least options as possible as it was over my budget as it is. ... (snip)... Oh yes, I have to thank my lovely wife for not only allowing me, at the ripe old age of 62, to buy this thing, but also for helping me financially to get it. Since she makes a lot more money than I do there was no other way. Luckely she understand my passion for fast cars. I have had 6 Alfas in the past and the last one was a very rare 1994 164 Quadrifoglio.
AlfaGuy, my late wife was the same way all around. Here's to the ladies!
0:)

Reactions: 407Guy
1 - 17 of 17 Posts