Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I?ve now had my Giulia Quadrifoglio for 6 weeks and a little over 1,000 miles. There have been many reviews, mostly good and some bad, and thought that I would provide my early impressions of the car. Now, keep in mind that I?m by no means a pro? driver, writer or otherwise. Also note that this is my first Alfa and don?t consider myself an Alfa ?fanboy?. I?m just an enthusiast whose had a few nice sports cars and am looking for the ultimate daily driver.

It was with a rather large amount of anxiety and trepidation that I purchased this car. We?re all aware of the less than stellar reliability history of Alfas, especially being a brand new model and all the niggles that come with that. Being used to the early adopter issues with my Mclaren and intoxicated by the beauty of the car, I pulled the trigger. It was an emotional decision that I haven?t regretted yet.

The Giulia QV is an amazing car. The steering is subline. Very direct, responsive and communicative. I do wish the steering wheel was a hair thicker, but that?s nitpicking. The car feels very well planted and flat in the turns. It inspires great confidence and no drama when pushed. The suspension is firm yet compliant in the soft settings. Dialing in the dynamic or race mode stiffens it significantly. Soft setting is not available in Race mode, so one can either have a great sounding exhaust OR soft suspension. It would be nice to have separate suspension, exhaust and traction control settings. My ideal setting would be Dynamic mode with soft suspension and open exhaust. I am considering a remote exhaust valve controller to address this issue.

The engine is also exceptional. Very smooth revving with steady power delivery. It goes without saying that acceleration is brisk with over 500 Hp. I do find the gears to be a little short and the redline at 7,000 rpm a little low. It is quite easy to hit the limiter if not paying close attention. I hate to admit that I?ve done that more than once.

I know this may come as a shock to some of you but, the car feels very solid and well-made. My car doesn?t have a single jiggle, vibration or rubbing noise in the cabin. Even when going over bumps or rough pavement, it remains silent. I?m very impressed with the build quality so far. The interior is very well laid-out and practical. The combination of leather, alcantara and carbon fiber look great. I love the integration of the screen into the dash. As others have noted, there are a few subpar materials in the cabin and the Nav/entertainment system could be better, but they are not reasons to buy or not buy this car. After all, this is a driver?s car, not a cushy luxury cruiser. I realize that it?s in the ?luxury sedan? bracket, but it really is a four door sports car.

The brakes, I?m afraid, are my biggest issue with the car. I have the standard brakes that work very well in stopping the car at speed. My problem is with the low speed and ?coming to a stop? modulation. The ?brake by wire? system feels more like an On/Off switch, rather than a progressive controller. I?m still working on getting it right, yet keep coming to jerky stops. I?ve come close to hitting the car in-front of me a couple of times in stop and go traffic. I?m not sure why Alfa decided to go with this rather than the typical hydraulic system. I would think twice about buying this car if you have a long, stop and go commute. It takes a good deal of concentration to stop smoothly.

Alfa Romeo have really done a great job with this car. It is excellent and a great daily driver. There are minimal quirks and niggles that don?t detract from my overall enjoyment of the car. I haven?t had a single issue so far and hope that my short term experience with reliability continues. I do, however, find myself driving a little anxiously waiting for something to fall off or for some warning light to come on, but nothing yet. AR have a real winner with the Giulia. Now will see if they can get their dealers and reliability up to snuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
641 Posts
I?ve now had my Giulia Quadrifoglio for 6 weeks and a little over 1,000 miles. There have been many reviews, mostly good and some bad, and thought that I would provide my early impressions of the car. Now, keep in mind that I?m by no means a pro? driver, writer or otherwise. Also note that this is my first Alfa and don?t consider myself an Alfa ?fanboy?. I?m just an enthusiast whose had a few nice sports cars and am looking for the ultimate daily driver.

It was with a rather large amount of anxiety and trepidation that I purchased this car. We?re all aware of the less than stellar reliability history of Alfas, especially being a brand new model and all the niggles that come with that. Being used to the early adopter issues with my Mclaren and intoxicated by the beauty of the car, I pulled the trigger. It was an emotional decision that I haven?t regretted yet.

The Giulia QV is an amazing car. The steering is subline. Very direct, responsive and communicative. I do wish the steering wheel was a hair thicker, but that?s nitpicking. The car feels very well planted and flat in the turns. It inspires great confidence and no drama when pushed. The suspension is firm yet compliant in the soft settings. Dialing in the dynamic or race mode stiffens it significantly. Soft setting is not available in Race mode, so one can either have a great sounding exhaust OR soft suspension. It would be nice to have separate suspension, exhaust and traction control settings. My ideal setting would be Dynamic mode with soft suspension and open exhaust. I am considering a remote exhaust valve controller to address this issue.

The engine is also exceptional. Very smooth revving with steady power delivery. It goes without saying that acceleration is brisk with over 500 Hp. I do find the gears to be a little short and the redline at 7,000 rpm a little low. It is quite easy to hit the limiter if not paying close attention. I hate to admit that I?ve done that more than once.

I know this may come as a shock to some of you but, the car feels very solid and well-made. My car doesn?t have a single jiggle, vibration or rubbing noise in the cabin. Even when going over bumps or rough pavement, it remains silent. I?m very impressed with the build quality so far. The interior is very well laid-out and practical. The combination of leather, alcantara and carbon fiber look great. I love the integration of the screen into the dash. As others have noted, there are a few subpar materials in the cabin and the Nav/entertainment system could be better, but they are not reasons to buy or not buy this car. After all, this is a driver?s car, not a cushy luxury cruiser. I realize that it?s in the ?luxury sedan? bracket, but it really is a four door sports car.

The brakes, I?m afraid, are my biggest issue with the car. I have the standard brakes that work very well in stopping the car at speed. My problem is with the low speed and ?coming to a stop? modulation. The ?brake by wire? system feels more like an On/Off switch, rather than a progressive controller. I?m still working on getting it right, yet keep coming to jerky stops. I?ve come close to hitting the car in-front of me a couple of times in stop and go traffic. I?m not sure why Alfa decided to go with this rather than the typical hydraulic system. I would think twice about buying this car if you have a long, stop and go commute. It takes a good deal of concentration to stop smoothly.

Alfa Romeo have really done a great job with this car. It is excellent and a great daily driver. There are minimal quirks and niggles that don?t detract from my overall enjoyment of the car. I haven?t had a single issue so far and hope that my short term experience with reliability continues. I do, however, find myself driving a little anxiously waiting for something to fall off or for some warning light to come on, but nothing yet. AR have a real winner with the Giulia. Now will see if they can get their dealers and reliability up to snuff.
Monch, I've had my Quad now for about the same (6 weeks). Just over 1,000 miles (and I don't drive to and from work...just for fun really). I completely agree with your analysis and experiences. Not crazy about the brake feel at low speeds and I think only once managed to come to a stop without that little final jerk.

I did buy the (Forza) controller and that has made so much difference to my driving pleasure. The only time I don't have full exhaust sound is when I'm leaving for golf at 5:00am in the morning. But as soon as I turn the corner, the button is pressed and the joyous noise begins.

Have not on one single day been in traffic without at least one thumbs-up or someone taking video or photos at a traffic light.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I will add to both of comments. 3 months into my Quad, 2000 miles and not a single problem. Just like you, the brakes are the most annoying. As for the engine, I kind of fond of Dynamic mode. I think the sounds it makes is just wonderful. Do not get me wrong I love race mode but do not like the "touchiness" of the gas pedal. Not to mention the gas drinking issue. I can actually watch the gas gage rapidly sinking. The other thing on this short list of flaws is taking off at stop lights. It really takes a while but then you better hang on to something. As you, I think the built quality is excellent, not a peep, rattle, squeak. I traded a Benz C63 AMG and the Alfa rides better, is faster by a lot. The only gripe is from my wife, she hates the cup holders not enough room, what can you do.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Add me to the list...my QV was delivered in early May. I now have 1200 miles. not a single problem. None. I have the Carbon Ceramic brakes. They are fine...no issues - good pedal. I bought CCM at the old price too - makes them even sweeter. I only use the car for pleasure. Want to go to Mid-Ohio, but have not had a chance. I agree the steering wheel is too thin...I drive a GTI daily - love the steering wheel on that...perfect and was not an extra cost option. We need to populate this forum with more positive reviews...seems the pundits, many of whom do not own one, are using up all the oxygen with whines such as the showrooms are not plush enough to the car cuts out at speed...(not saying it did not)...but we need to share the upside. The way I see it...if the whiners win...they kill the brand...and then I have an appreciating, light-weight, piece of Italian automotive history...either way this car is a winner.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I I kind of fond of Dynamic mode. I think the sounds it makes is just wonderful. Do not get me wrong I love race mode but do not like the "touchiness" of the gas pedal. Not to mention the gas drinking issue. I can actually watch the gas gage rapidly sinking. The other thing on this short list of flaws is taking off at stop lights.
Alfaguy, on those two points you mention. One. Invest in the exhaust controller ($350). You can have the race sound while in Dynamic, which is my go-to set up. Two. Practice launching a couple of times and it will change your take-off experience. Three tries at it and I have it now. Left foot on brake, accelerator pressed goes to about 2,000, turbos spool up. Let go of brake and at the same time floor it. Turbo lag? Not any more.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Alfaguy, on those two points you mention. One. Invest in the exhaust controller ($350). You can have the race sound while in Dynamic, which is my go-to set up. Two. Practice launching a couple of times and it will change your take-off experience. Three tries at it and I have it now. Left foot on brake, accelerator pressed goes to about 2,000, turbos spool up. Let go of brake and at the same time floor it. Turbo lag? Not any more.
This will not trigger the CEL (Limp mode) that others have experienced by "left foot braking" while depressing the throttle ?

·
Registered
296 Posts
This will not trigger the CEL (Limp mode) that others have experienced by "left foot braking" while depressing the throttle ?
It will not.
The key is to press the brake first at a complete stop.
Hold it down firm and press the throttle to 2000 RPMs.
Let go of the brake and floor it.
Then she will launch - really really launch!

Enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Simey, thank you for the tip on launching. Will try it out. I plan to take the car to the "Half Mile Shootout" when they came back around in North Carolina. That is going to be a hoot.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Q owner, 3 months, 2,800 miles. Besides an occasional slight rattle near the gauge pod, nothing but awesomeness.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Forums for the win, I doubt that even people at the dealer would have known that unless its some service manager that had the QV as a company car. Maybe over time we can get a thread with useful tips like this. Great way to trim the learning curve for new owners.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I second this.

Thanks for posting tips like this. This weekend, I'm going to try launching the car.

I also turned off surround sound last week based on audio recommendations I read on this site. It made a difference.

Steve

·
Registered
641 Posts
I second this.

Thanks for posting tips like this. This weekend, I'm going to try launching the car.

I also turned off surround sound last week based on audio recommendations I read on this site. It made a difference.

Steve
Steve, did that make the system louder? Is that what you were looking to do? Hard to believe we have 900 Watts from the HK premium stereo. If I can hear myself singing, it's not got enough oomph!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
It will not.

Enjoy the ride!
Did anyone try a 3000- 4000 RPMs launch?
Anyone get down to 3.8 sec. 0-60?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Man reading this thread is making me want the car even more now. I have a long commute 140 miles round trip (Sacramento to Concord -Northern California) and I doubt I will DD this car but that is good to know about the brakes. I have an ISF now and the brake clamp on these Brembos are amazing and good protection for the idiots on I-80. Good info to know!

Reactions: peczenij

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Steve, did that make the system louder? Is that what you were looking to do? Hard to believe we have 900 Watts from the HK premium stereo. If I can hear myself singing, it's not got enough oomph!
Agreed!! Cranked it all the way up to....38??? First car I've owned where I can max out the volume and still want more.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have complained to AR about the lack of volume, and they want me to get the infotainment first. I doubt that it will fix the volume issue, but who knows? I recommend that you contact the Alfa Romeo hotline and make a complaint about the lack of volume. We need a lot of people to do that so that it will get more attention.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Great points about the launch mode. A simple point like this is all it takes to freak out the ECU and cause the limp mode problem. Think about it. The speed sensor, g sensors, brakes, ASR, TC, TV and all those sensors will go ballistic if they see any movement at all unless the car is at a complete stop. Even auto mode on a Ferrari F1 system requires a ridiculous full stop to go properly into 1st. You typically encounter this at a quick light or stop sign where you have enough room for the person in front of you to leave as you approach but don't really need to stop to pull through. Then you get stuck in extra slip, annoying mushy clutch mesh and feather that makes your skin crawl as you hear the robot waste your clutch. If it had shifted into 1st the torque would be much better. It can even catch you off guard in manual mode when you are scanning the intersection and not looking at your gear number. Worst scenario is on a slight uphill. I am only now getting wise to it. A year and a month later.

·
Registered
641 Posts
It will not.

Enjoy the ride!
Did anyone try a 3000- 4000 RPMs launch?
Anyone get down to 3.8 sec. 0-60?
Couldnt swear to it but it seems to only want to go to 2,000. I get the impression it's limited to that with the brake being held. There's already a bit of tire spin and I imagine at a higher rev you'd actually spin too much and lose some time. As for 3.8 secs I don't know for sure as I've had no one with me to time it. Prefer to have both hands on the wheel personally when I'm screaming down the road at max accel ?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Couldnt swear to it but it seems to only want to go to 2,000. I get the impression it's limited to that with the brake being held. There's already a bit of tire spin and I imagine at a higher rev you'd actually spin too much and lose some time. As for 3.8 secs I don't know for sure as I've had no one with me to time it. Prefer to have both hands on the wheel personally when I'm screaming down the road at max accel ?
Thanks for the insight!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts