Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

421 - 440 of 471 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
My '19 Giulia TI Sport Carbon replaced a '16 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport. Giving up a good bit of straight-line speed, but gaining so much better handling and style. The Q50 was 400hp worth of fun, but didn't have much personality. The stock exhaust was dead-quiet, the engine was smooth but muffled, the steering (non-DAS) was OK, but kinda numb, and the infotainment system was archaic, although not as bad as auto journalists would have you think. The Giulia doesn't feel slower in most situations, mostly because of the high-torque and the lightning-fast shifts when using the paddles.

Prior cars were '13 Infiniti M37xS (now called the Q70), '11 Infiniti G37xS, '08 Infiniti G37xS, '05 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6, '99 Pontiac Trans Am.

It's fun to see the crazy variety of cars everyone came into the Giulia from. Great thread.
I came from 2004, 2008, 2010 Infiniti G Sport Coupes with manual trannys which I loved, but then went into a G35 sedan and than a Q50. While it seemed like I would’ve stayed with the brand, they weren’t too willing to work getting me back into a coupe... which in the long run, works for me. Much happier in my Giulia... and returns me back to my Italian roots. 76’ Alfetta GTV, Mille Miglia edition and a 76’ Fiat X19. Just hope she’s more reliable than her cousins.

·
Registered
80 Posts
2004 Mazda Rx8 touring. I'm going to miss it!
same, had a 2005 GT for >10yrs. over time I forgot about the manual shift (these paddles/clutch are so fast). they both handle great & are near 50/50. both are unique, combine great looks w matching performance. the RX sat lower which looked/felt nice. I definitely miss the sound of that 8500 redline though!
I'm glad I took these pics during the short overlap :)
IMG_4750.jpg IMG_4753.jpg IMG_4749.jpg

·
Registered
7 Posts
New to this forum. Just ordered my Giulia on Monday and very pleased to join the family. It will be replacing my Jaguar XE that I've had for four years and some 190k km (120k miles). My baby should arrive half - late March (Belgium). :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
same, had a 2005 GT for >10yrs. over time I forgot about the manual shift (these paddles/clutch are so fast). they both handle great & are near 50/50. both are unique, combine great looks w matching performance. the RX sat lower which looked/felt nice. I definitely miss the sound of that 8500 redline though!
I'm glad I took these pics during the short overlap :)
The Alfa is much quicker, but I'll have to say I felt much more connected to the Rx8 in overall dinamics plus it was a stick shift (a really good one at that!) I'm really going to miss it. My wife tells me I have to many cars:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,371 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
My used 2018 Ti replaced a 2003 first generation Honda Civic Hybrid bought new in June 2002 and now has 256k miles on it. Waiting for Habitat for Humanity to come pick it up since virtually impossible to sell even though still runs well. There is a slight difference in overall capabilities between the two....a little British understatement here....can I at least tie with @Alfalfa Romeo?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm not selling my previous cars, so I don't consider my Giulia to be 'replacing' anything, per se, but my previous everyday cars were a BMW 328i and a Mercedes C230. The Alfa is just so much more engaging to drive than either ever were, even with some mods on the bimmer. I really hope Alfa hits it big in the U.S. so that I will have the option for a new Alfa when I decide that this one should be a race car instead.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Alfa is much quicker, but I'll have to say I felt much more connected to the Rx8 in overall dinamics plus it was a stick shift (a really good one at that!) I'm really going to miss it. My wife tells me I have to many cars:rolleyes:
Yeah, perhaps the 8 sitting lower gave that connection. Also now there's more electronics/digitization even on the handling side since back then. Sheesh the damn 8 didn't even have an audio in port ... familiarizing with all the new tech took some getting used to as well.
Tell your wife she's right and maybe you can keep most of them ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2017 Guilia 2.0 Q4 replaced a 2012 Dodge Challenger 5.7 T/A 6 speed. I love my Alfa only wish it was a standard transmission.

I miss the 6 speed manual on my Challenger.

Otherwise a nice car and the AWD is nice in the snow

Maybe Alfa in the future will offer a Manual transmission--???

Steve,

·
Super Moderator
2,088 Posts
My 2017 Guilia 2.0 Q4 replaced a 2012 Dodge Challenger 5.7 T/A 6 speed. I love my Alfa only wish it was a standard transmission.

I miss the 6 speed manual on my Challenger.

Otherwise a nice car and the AWD is nice in the snow

Maybe Alfa in the future will offer a Manual transmission--???

Steve,
Interesting, I thought that the shifting felt completely dead on that car. It was precise, but dead.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Pretty car. How could you let go of it?
And why/how does Austria have Pontiacs? (had?)
The 1.9 I had had some issues when I bought it, which I knew when buying it, but I found even more (all were the previous owner's fault), and these issues basically totaled the car. I gifted the car to my dad, who fixed the worst problems (which would be the engine subframe and rear trailing arms being rusted through, so he replaced them with shiny pretty parts from a donor ) and sold it.
It is cheaper to buy a perfect example than to spend all the money to fix this one. Also, I always wanted a 5 cylinder 2.4 JTDm Diesel with Q4 All-Wheel Drive and cream leather interior, which I will probably buy next year or so.
Cadillacs, Buicks, Pontiacs, and Chevrolets were officially sold in Austria and Germany since the 80s. GM even had a production plant in swiss since the 50s, which built the highest quality B-O-P and Cadillacs the world has ever seen. :p GM stopped selling other cars than Opel in Europe when the financial crisis hit in 2007. Nowadays you can only buy so-called grey imports from Dealerships, who import all kinds of American cars to Germany and Austria.

Sorry for off-topic, but maybe some of you find it interesting. ;)

421 - 440 of 471 Posts