Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 478 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm always interested to know what car a person is leaving behind when they pick an exciting new car. For me, I have been driving a 2014 Audi S4 for about 4 years, which is a car that I have generally loved. I will miss the engine. I will not miss the steering at all, as I always found it to be very loose and not in line with the character of the car. In choosing a Giulia Ti Q4, my biggest fear is that I will not be satisfied with the 4 cylinder engine. I've driven the 4 cylinder on the Audi A4, and don't like it at all. I find it very unengaging. In my multiple test drives on the Giulia, though, I found the engine very sort of sporty and playful. Although the 0-60 time is a bit slower than on my S4, it has plenty of punch, and the real difference is that the car overall just feels sportier, which I think must go to the steering and overall handling. Fun to drive is not always defined just in the 0-60 time. What also took me on the Giulia is that the exterior and interior design are simply unlike any other car. Yes, the rear of the car has some familiarity out there, but overall, it just has very exciting lines from all angles, and the front of course is completely unique. I would describe the interior as functional and sporty, just like how the car feels to drive it... different from anything else. Combined with the fact that I will have the red interior, I just love it, and love the fact that no one else's car looks like mine. I will be curious to think about my opinions a month or so from now. I hope I will continue to find the 4 cylinder engine in the Giulia fun and engaging! My new car is Vulcano Black/Red interior, 19 inch sport package, Harmon Kardon, 8.8 inch screen/NAV, blind spot. No sunroof.. I think I'll be fine without it.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I traded in a 2015 Corvette C7 on my TI.

The Corvette was an exciting car to drive and I loved how it looked. But after 2-1/2 years I got tired of the hard ride, cramped cabin, and scraping over driveways and speed bumps.

The TI handling feels almost as responsive as the Corvette at moderate speeds with a much more comfortable ride.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I owned a C6 a few years back. A very nice car. The only thing I got tired of was the road noise from the run flat tires.

·
Super Moderator
1,062 Posts
I'm always interested to know what car a person is leaving behind when they pick an exciting new car. For me, I have been driving a 2014 Audi S4 for about 4 years...
Picked up the Quad as an enhancement (errr, toy). :smile2:

Curious how the S4 was over the long haul? A buddy has one with a pulley and tune. The thing is no joke in terms of raw acceleration. He has ~50k miles on it and the cabin is noisy. Odd rattles and so forth.

I'm an S4 guy myself and have a steroid boosted B5S4. Don't think I'll ever let that one go. The torque is ever-addicting. Driving the big turbo S4 in terms of straight line acceleration is more jaw dropping than the Quadrifoglio in race mode. The torque delivery of the modified S4 is absolutely intense. Of course the Quadrifoglio is "stock" so it is hardly a comparison. Though, I'm sure that same adrenaline rush will be equally intense once the wick is cranked up in the Quad.

My attention span with cars is... short. Ha. It is a fun hobby but certainly a vacuum cleaner on the wallet type of expensive hobby.

Though the current daily driver has been an Acura MDX for the winter. Looking forward to getting the nor'easter out of here and driving the Quad more often.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chipps... That is great! I can get my dose of family SUV from my wife's car. She drives a Durango.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
EricVonHa... agreed, not looking forward to the Nor'Easter coming. My S4 definitely developed a lot of creaks and other noises. My car was 100 percent stock. I did enjoy the straight line acceleration thoroughly, and am pretty amazed at how long I kept it, because like you, I have a short attention span with cars. I've done fairly well in not wreaking too much havoc on my wallet. I do think the difference in steering on the Giulia is going to be a huge positive change for me. My kids drive a 2008 BMW 328, and the steering on that car is SO much more enjoyable to me than the S4. I don't really even mind the drop in straight line acceleration from the S4 to the 328, so I think I'll really enjoy the Giulia.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I am replacing a 2000 Nissan Maxima SE (5-speed trans.) with a Quadrifolio! I bought the Maxima new in September 1999, and have driven it for more than 18 years. I'm going to keep it as a winter car, and also because it has fold down rear seat. I also want to keep it because I don't want to give up the manual transmission. The QV will be the first car that I have ever owned that does not have a manual transmission.

I will soon be 57 years old and the QV will only be the 4th car that I have owned during my lifetime, but going forward I will probably change cars more often.

My new QV has entered the build phase and I hope to have it sometime in May (fingers crossed). I would bet that no one else on this board will be retiring a car that is 18+ years old! :)

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
A Dream Realized..

Replaced nothing....was a dream for me to always own an Italian car and it did not have to have the Prancing Horse on it...
but I did move out an F80 M3 which I got in Sept. of 2014...kept the car for a little over a year...
I'm hoping that the QV is one that will go in the garage next to my other 2 dream/forever cars...never to be sold:grin2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
For me, QV will replace my 2009 Carrera S cab. I have a long history with Alfa, and when I saw that the QV was coming to the US, I decided that it was time for my beautiful cab to find a new home. 7 years is the longest time I have kept my daily driver, so that says a lot about what a great car the carrera s is....

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I'm always interested to know what car a person is leaving behind when they pick an exciting new car. For me, I have been driving a 2014 Audi S4 for about 4 years, which is a car that I have generally loved. I will miss the engine. I will not miss the steering at all, as I always found it to be very loose and not in line with the character of the car. In choosing a Giulia Ti Q4, my biggest fear is that I will not be satisfied with the 4 cylinder engine. I've driven the 4 cylinder on the Audi A4, and don't like it at all. I find it very unengaging. In my multiple test drives on the Giulia, though, I found the engine very sort of sporty and playful. Although the 0-60 time is a bit slower than on my S4, it has plenty of punch, and the real difference is that the car overall just feels sportier, which I think must go to the steering and overall handling. Fun to drive is not always defined just in the 0-60 time. What also took me on the Giulia is that the exterior and interior design are simply unlike any other car. Yes, the rear of the car has some familiarity out there, but overall, it just has very exciting lines from all angles, and the front of course is completely unique. I would describe the interior as functional and sporty, just like how the car feels to drive it... different from anything else. Combined with the fact that I will have the red interior, I just love it, and love the fact that no one else's car looks like mine. I will be curious to think about my opinions a month or so from now. I hope I will continue to find the 4 cylinder engine in the Giulia fun and engaging! My new car is Vulcano Black/Red interior, 19 inch sport package, Harmon Kardon, 8.8 inch screen/NAV, blind spot. No sunroof.. I think I'll be fine without it.
I am still waiting for the right Giulia to come along to the showrooms, but until then I'm working on privately selling my 2007 Range Rover Supercharged (you can see pics in my 'garage') -- I will miss the Supercharger whine and torque. I will miss its unmistakable looks. And that's probably about it at this point.

I will not miss its almost daily electronic quirks, which seem to be getting more frequent. I will not miss the thousand dollar repair bills every time I take it for regular service. I will also be happy to leave behind 12mpg for almost 30 in the Ti.

I look forward to a factory warranty and the Italian flair of Alfa Romeo! It is faster in every way than the RR, and the handling is fantastic. I am excited

·
Registered
604 Posts
For me, QV will replace my 2009 Carrera S cab.
Interesting, The only other car I'm considering against the Giulia is a 2009-2012 Carrera S. I don't like the current 911 body style so much, and starting in 2009 the last gen had the kick ass PDK transmission.

But the upkeep on a 7 year old Porsche out of warranty scares me more than a first model year Italian car!

·
Registered
3,534 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
10 minutes is not long enough to edit out the punk @$$ theater slop in Facebook. Sorry. :mad:

1 - 20 of 478 Posts