Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was getting gas tonight and I untwisted the cap and put it in the holder as usual and then when I went to twist the cap back on, I noticed that the wire connecting the cap to the door had come off the door, i.e. still connected to the cap.

When I got home I used some dental floss (because it's thin and strong) to pull the wire head back into place in the door.

Question 1: has this happened to anyone else?

Now that it is back into place, I decided to look underneath the door; why didn't I do that before I put the cap back :confused:

If you look at my first photo, you can see the head of the wire and the hole where I pulled the end of the wire through, and it feels really snug and secure.

If you look at the second photo, this is the underside of the filler door. You can see to the left of the opening where I shoved the wire through, there appears to be a circular opening with a narrower end which looks like the spot where the wire head should be placed. The end of the wire has a head on it that is best described as looking like an Oreo with the wire connected to the flat side of one of the cookies; two wide semi flexible discs with a smaller disc between them (so that the wider discs can secure the smaller disc in the opening to hold it in place).

Between the place I put the wire head and the new hole I see when I look underneath, I believe I've put the wire in the wrong place; but of the two openings, the one I used seems a lot more secure (since it isn't open on one end). I don't remember however ever seeing the wire head when I've filled up previously (one of the reasons I think I've put it back wrong); but even if I wanted to try and move the head to the other opening, I don't think I'd be able to pull the wire out without damaging the head.

The door closes just fine with the wire as I have it now.

Question 2: did I put the wire through the wrong opening and in the wrong place?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Yes, you put it through the wrong opening. The hole you used is a drainage hole. You didn't need to fish the wire through that square opening. You just needed to put the wire head in the larger of the two overlapping circular openings in the bottom picture, then slide it over to the smaller part, so that it could be retained in place.

Not a big deal, in any case.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, you put it through the wrong opening. The hole you used is a drainage hole. You didn't need to fish the wire through that square opening. You just needed to put the wire head in the larger of the two overlapping circular openings in the bottom picture, then slide it over to the smaller part, so that it could be retained in place.

Not a big deal, in any case.
Sadly there is no facepalm emoji on the forum

Thank you @MacGeek
I will see if I can remove it tonight and put it in the right place, but otherwise, it seems the opening I used is ok.

Reactions: Montecarlo

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was able to remove it and put it back in the right place. Seems odd to me that it can come off so easily, never happened before in my other car, but glad it's easy to put back in.

Thanks again

Reactions: Montecarlo

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,727 Posts
I was able to remove it and put it back in the right place. Seems odd to me that it can come off so easily, never happened before in my other car, but glad it's easy to put back in.

Thanks again
Strange indeed. I bought one of those MOPAR aluminum fuel caps (not recommended, btw) and had to remove and reinstall the retainer as part of installation. This turned out to be a huge PITA because of how tight the retainer is in the door hinge. I had to put lube (used liquid soap) on the head of the retainer to get it to go in and a metal tool (used a round shafted #1 philips screw driver, but anything smooth, sturdy and about 1/8 inch ~=3mm will do) to apply the force. Removing the retainer is not as difficult, but still requires a lot of force. It is easier to do when it is warm. I expect that they have an special installation tool to this easier on the factory floor.

You might want to inspect your hinge for damage. With so much force required to install such a small plastic part I can image that something breaks once in a while.

·
Registered
4,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was able to get the head back in the right place but I have no doubt it will pop out again at some point

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yeah the aluminum caps can be a pain to thread. Also, the sealing gasket plug on the inside of my aluminum cap on the Ferrari came loose years ago. When I filled up a couple nights ago, it fell out when I was placing the cap in the holding clip on the back of the filler door, and then rolled under the car. Haha! Nothing crazier than seeing a guy crawling on his hands and knees retrieving a lost part from his Ferrari at the gas station. I like the ease of the plastic cap on my Giulia and it's the only time I notice it's plastic, or even think about it. All the rest of the time no one can see it. For the Ferrari, I will put some silicon adhesive on the back of the stopper and press it back into place. It looks like the same method from the factory. Do it on the car to keep it centered.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks for the pictures and the explanatory note.

I just had the same thing happen to my 2018 Quad. I was able to pop / click it back into place with a small flat screwdriver. I try to avoid allowing anyone else pump gas in the car. My hunch is that if you allow the gas cap to hang when filling the car with gas (such as a gas station attendant), rather than putting it in its holder, it may be too much hanging weight, and then the little rubber piece pops out.

No big deal, but glad to see how it attaches, rather than dropping / losing the cap in the dark, rain, or snow.

·
Registered
547 Posts
So I was getting gas tonight and I untwisted the cap and put it in the holder as usual and then when I went to twist the cap back on, I noticed that the wire connecting the cap to the door had come off the door, i.e. still connected to the cap.

When I got home I used some dental floss (because it's thin and strong) to pull the wire head back into place in the door.

Question 1: has this happened to anyone else?

Now that it is back into place, I decided to look underneath the door; why didn't I do that before I put the cap back :confused:

If you look at my first photo, you can see the head of the wire and the hole where I pulled the end of the wire through, and it feels really snug and secure.

If you look at the second photo, this is the underside of the filler door. You can see to the left of the opening where I shoved the wire through, there appears to be a circular opening with a narrower end which looks like the spot where the wire head should be placed. The end of the wire has a head on it that is best described as looking like an Oreo with the wire connected to the flat side of one of the cookies; two wide semi flexible discs with a smaller disc between them (so that the wider discs can secure the smaller disc in the opening to hold it in place).

Between the place I put the wire head and the new hole I see when I look underneath, I believe I've put the wire in the wrong place; but of the two openings, the one I used seems a lot more secure (since it isn't open on one end). I don't remember however ever seeing the wire head when I've filled up previously (one of the reasons I think I've put it back wrong); but even if I wanted to try and move the head to the other opening, I don't think I'd be able to pull the wire out without damaging the head.

The door closes just fine with the wire as I have it now.

Question 2: did I put the wire through the wrong opening and in the wrong place?

Thanks!
Your Vulcano is showing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts