Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Base Giulia Q4 (last 5 34292)
Here is story.
Had busy Saturday driving around the city, no A/C till afternoon just opened windows. Shortly afternoon had to switch to a/c and close the windows. Traffic wasnt bad but lots of red lights and start/stop before switching to a/c so start/stop had to go.
Parked at food store, came back, push the engine start button.... after few spins by starter, engine failed to start. Two messages popped immediately - throttle failure and service transmission. After 3 attempt to start ending it did start eventually, so I made it home on limp mode - scary mode as it takes so much time to make a left turn.
Parked on the driveway, took another car and keep busy Saturday going.
After hour or so came back, started the car and only message popped is service engine and start/stop system is not available. Car drives as usual and I was able to bring it to dealer to look at today. I could reset error codes using my code reader but decided to let AR guys look at it.

PS. I'm convinced that AR made huge mistake putting start/stop system in NA cars as we have lots of stop signs not like in EU runabouts. I cant go mile on the local street without stopping 5-6 times.
Traffic lights stop/start is fine, not STOP signs.
The stress that puts on starter, battery, engine and tranny is significant and they should do something about it.
PPS yes I do use button to disable start/stop but not always and not everyone thinks it is bad, many consider that feature as cool and needed.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Sorry to hear that but thanks for sharing. Hope you get it sorted soon.

What was your procedure to start it, hopefully I won't ever see this but did you just keep hitting the start button until it fired or were you switching things on/off?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,754 Posts
Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry to hear that but thanks for sharing. Hope you get it sorted soon.

What was your procedure to start it, hopefully I won't ever see this but did you just keep hitting the start button until it fired or were you switching things on/off?
yes I did it multiple times until engine started, pretty rough start though like car wasnt driving for long (few months) but later start was as usual.
Waiting for a call from dealer today.
As I said I could just clear the code and keep driving but want AR to know about this to prevent from happening to other ppl. My son says that most definitely car needs software update but will see. Possibly that Canadian dealers dont have latest firmware. Will keep you updated.
Here is my theory - due to multiple start/stop procedures in short time battery didnt have enough juice to start engine at parking lot from first try which caused the whole thing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok here is update from AR tech
start car in the morning - no messages, nothing - I guess modern car rule - 3 successful start code is cleared, I did 2 successful starts :)
checked the battery - all good
reflashed latest software just in case. Said that new version coming soon (2-3 weeks) but not here yet, no details on issues it resolves.
He drove it for a couple of dozens miles, nothing
Opened the case with AR support to let them know.
Picking up car tonight :)

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Ick. Maybe it was a one time thing?

We have way to many stop signs which add to the bad traffic making it even worse. Just about the time I'm stopped and ready to go, the engine shuts off. I think the delay could be a few more seconds.

There is an override button on the dash that will disable the Auto Start. Restarting the car always puts it in the default mode of Auto Start enabled.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Check your battery negative terminal. This maybe the issue.
And was that at the battery or ecu? Just want to be sure.

p.s. don't leave the ac and fan on at shutdown or startup.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
A/C and Fan on ?

Why should it be problematic to leave the A/C or fan on at Startup or Shutdown ?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Well nothing too serious but extra load on the systems. If voltage is low from a weak battery it may be enough to foul up the computers.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The other day I started the car in the garage and was fiddling with lose stitching on the steering wheel and after about 5 minutes of idling the engine tried to stall 3 times and check engine light came on. Also "Auto start/stop not available" message came on. Went to the dealer, they pulled 12 error codes related to 'low power' and finally called me and said they have to replace AC transducer sensor because it was giving false readings to the ECU. We'll see if that fixes it. BTW, only 500 miles on the odometer on my Ti.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
The other day I started the car in the garage and was fiddling with lose stitching on the steering wheel and after about 5 minutes of idling the engine tried to stall 3 times and check engine light came on. Also "Auto start/stop not available" message came on. Went to the dealer, they pulled 12 error codes related to 'low power' and finally called me and said they have to replace AC transducer sensor because it was giving false readings to the ECU. We'll see if that fixes it. BTW, only 500 miles on the odometer on my Ti.
12 codes for low power?
Does that mean low battery voltage?
Low engine power?
Faulty AC transducer? What does the AC transducer do?
Perhaps the "faulty"ACt was making the electric condenser fan run on after the car was turned off and it drained or damaged the battery?
Please keep us updated on the repair.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,754 Posts
Maybe your car ascertained a risk of your being asphyxiated and tried to save your life. :nerd:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Base Giulia Q4 (last 5 34292)
Here is story.
Had busy Saturday driving around the city, no A/C till afternoon just opened windows. Shortly afternoon had to switch to a/c and close the windows. Traffic wasnt bad but lots of red lights and start/stop before switching to a/c so start/stop had to go.
Parked at food store, came back, push the engine start button.... after few spins by starter, engine failed to start. Two messages popped immediately - throttle failure and service transmission. After 3 attempt to start ending it did start eventually, so I made it home on limp mode - scary mode as it takes so much time to make a left turn.
Parked on the driveway, took another car and keep busy Saturday going.
After hour or so came back, started the car and only message popped is service engine and start/stop system is not available. Car drives as usual and I was able to bring it to dealer to look at today. I could reset error codes using my code reader but decided to let AR guys look at it.

PS. I'm convinced that AR made huge mistake putting start/stop system in NA cars as we have lots of stop signs not like in EU runabouts. I cant go mile on the local street without stopping 5-6 times.
Traffic lights stop/start is fine, not STOP signs.
The stress that puts on starter, battery, engine and tranny is significant and they should do something about it.
PPS yes I do use button to disable start/stop but not always and not everyone thinks it is bad, many consider that feature as cool and needed.
Just adding that my first experience with a car with auto stop/start was on a business trip in Switzerland, so...they have it too!

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,910 Posts
What does "tried to stall" mean? I know for diesels in the USA they are only allowed to idle for a limited time, then shut down. This is part of the smog system and in part a countermeasure for the bad habit that people have of letting diesel trucks idle for hours at a time.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Interesting. For a wired and by-wire car this is starting to gel. We can turn off auto stop start permanently from the menus right, not the dash button?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The auto stop-start can be disabled with a button on the left hand side of the dash underneath the parking sensor override (to the left of the headlight control). I'm training myself to hit it after warm up before I pull out and start driving. To my knowledge, there is no way to permanently disable the "feature".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts