Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

New to the forum and in the pursuit of purchasing my first Alfa Romeo. I've owned other luxury class sedans from Mercedes and Audi but I am seriously considering my first Italian made. Been shopping around at what's available and this model seems to check all the boxes. Excited to see what you guys have to say.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,116 Posts
Don't hesitate.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Really depends on what you're after. Don't expect an Audi-MB-BMW clone, which it is not.

This is a drivers car first with a variety of quirky Italian engineering thrown in. Absolutely love my car but that shouldn't be surprising looking at my signature.

Been an Audi guy ever since Alfa left in '95 as my daily driver, love them but the Giulia has brought back the fun to everyday driving. Seems to me the Germans are headed straight toward autonomous cars while Alfa is definitely not, thank goodness.

Like others have suggested, take a test drive, should be a pretty easy decision after that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Hey everyone,

New to the forum and in the pursuit of purchasing my first Alfa Romeo. I've owned other luxury class sedans from Mercedes and Audi but I am seriously considering my first Italian made. Been shopping around at what's available and this model seems to check all the boxes. Excited to see what you guys have to say.
You will love the Giulia...not sure I agree with Tadslc about "Italian Quirkiness".....As a long time Alfa owner this is probably the least "Quirky" Alfa I've ever owned....Some models have suffered from questionable ergonomics (Milano window switches on the roof for example)...I mean there are a few strange things (parking sensors keep beeping even though the car is in Park)....but, if you're concerned about "reliability", I've got to tell you every brand has its issues (I believe the "Ultimate Driving Machine" ad campaign to be the greatest fraud every perpetrated on the general public) but the Giulia (once properly updated visa ve software) has been bulletproof....You'll love it and most importantly you won't see yourself coming and going like all the other "sheep" in the world....Like Nike says..."JUST DO IT" !!!! FORZA ALFA BABY ~!!!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I agree that this car isn’t very quirky. Didn’t take long to adjust to it after owning a couple of BMWs. I would say that it has more charater and soul though. The longer I have this car the more I am enjoying it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Go drive the QV, you will fall in love, then PM me and Ill give you my guys info, best price you will get

·
Registered
647 Posts
No Way!

I would avoid like the plague buying a Giulia. I bought mine in June. Here are the issues I have experienced.

..... My Rosso Alfa Red (I call it Mama Mia Red) along with my 5 hole wheels and the Ferrari cloned yellow brake calipers attract gawkers like flies. It took me 45 minutes to get out of the Costco parking lots one day.

..... Although I'm retired and north of 70 years old the young chicks chase me screaming for a ride. Very traumatic!

..... I have a base Giulia Q4 (AWD) but so many folks keep asking me if this is the Giulia that was in the Super Bowl ad. OK, I must admit that I lie and quickly say sì. It's always the first one they've seen in the wild.

..... All the old farts who had a Giulia back in the old days (70's and 80's?) have to come up and touch it. I of course having three coats of Mcguiar's synthetic sealant get out my micro fiber cloth to wipe off their dam fingerprints. I buy the 36 pack of yellow micro fiber cloths at Costco.

..... My son, the first time he saw Giulia said, it looks a lot like a BMW. He takes after my first wife, a.k.a ex.

..... When I showed a photo of my Giulia with Mt Rainier in the background to a good friend at the supermarket she said: You should have bought a Tesla!

..... I have quite a few Korean friends who always ask me if it is as good as a Hyundai or a Kia?

..... I can't tell you how many women I have had to explain how to pronounce Giulia!

..... Every time I put it in manual mode and use the paddle shifters and get on the long I-90 on ramp East of here in low traffic, 70mph speed limit with the pedal to the metal up to 80mph (in 6.8 seconds) I have a sore neck for several hours! For God's sake don't buy one of those Quadrafoogios or you'll have a back brace in no time!

..... Sometimes I help my friend who is an undertaker. Unfortunately, there is only room for one body at a time in the trunk.

..... The thing corners and handles like a high end sports car. They told me it was a 4 door sedan. A British car magazine tester said it was like a 4 door Ferarri. Now I find out.

..... There is zero play in the steering wheel. The other day I reached into the back seat for another beer and I ended up two lanes over.

Well, I don't want to bore you with anymore of my gripes about the Giulia. Just don't say I didn't warn you!

·
Registered
69 Posts
He forgot to mention that you are likely to cause accidents when other drivers rubber-neck and forget they are in a moving car (or motor bikes). Had a guy in the lane over yesterday surreptitiously take photos and almost miss his turn. I may or may not be guilty of providing some sonic reinforcement to his jealousy as I revved up leaving the stop light. 0:)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
This morning while at a local 4 lane main road (Northern Blvd, for those on Long Island, by 107 intersection) an Italian mason and his partner pulled up surreptitiously long my passenger's side rear 3/4 in a right turn only lane but refused to advance despite numerous cars behind them honking feverishly.....As they were somewhat in my blind spot I didn't initially notice them until the commotion began....I saw that my signal was still red, so they couldn't be honking at me....so I check both sides and I saw them in a massive F-150 Duely, ignoring their right turn signal, backing traffic up, but admiring the Giulia (which happened to be in Race mode)....felt obligated to shift into Park and rev it for the boys !!! All thumbs up.....It's wild how all of us will experience this , on some level, and how many more admiring episodes go unnoticed......D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Welcome! take that test drive, there's no going back :)

Which model / spec are you thinking?
Wow guys thanks for all the responses and laughs! I'm definitely leaning towards AWD, but seeing as how I've never owned a Alfa before, I'm not exactly familiar with the various trim levels. I see that the Quadrifoglio trim is a good deal more and offers a vastly difference performance level than that of the other models. I probably wont consider switching cars until the spring but I'm psyched to see such high praise from you guys. I'm going to see about finding a local dealer to see it in person. Is there a lot else to consider besides performance for the various trim options? How many here opted for the top of the top?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Kaisen, you started out referencing other "luxury class sedans", and you are leaning towards AWD.

given that, I would suggest an AWD model with the lusso interior (luxury leather, wood trims) MIGHT be your "top of the top" rather than high horsepower and carbon fiber.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just picked up my 2017 Alfa Q4 on Thursday and I’m completely obsessed with it. I upgraded to the 18-Inch x 8.0-Inch Dark Turbine Aluminum Wheels with red calipers, Vulcano Black Metallic Exterior Paint with tan interior and a couple of other extras. I can’t remember being this excited about a car I’ve owned. I’ve enjoyed reading people’s posts enthusing about their cars. It was funny to see my wife’s reaction since she thought I was going to be driving home in a Mazda CX-5.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Please keep going. That was great.
Ask and you shall receive update:

No Way!

I would avoid like the plague buying a Giulia. I bought mine in June. Here are the issues I have experienced.

..... My Rosso Alfa Red (I call it Mama Mia Red) along with my 5 hole wheels and the Ferrari cloned yellow brake calipers attract gawkers like flies. It took me 45 minutes to get out of the Costco parking lots one day.

..... Although I'm retired and north of 70 years old the young chicks chase me screaming for a ride. Very traumatic!

..... I have a base Giulia Q4 (AWD) but so many folks keep asking me if this is the Giulia that was in the Super Bowl ad. OK, I must admit that I lie and quickly say sì. It's always the first one they've seen in the wild.

..... All the old farts who had a Giulia back in the old days (70's and 80's?) have to come up and touch it. I of course having three coats of Mcguiar's synthetic sealant get out my micro fiber cloth to wipe off their dam fingerprints. I buy the 36 pack of yellow micro fiber cloths at Costco.

..... My son, the first time he saw Giulia said, it looks a lot like a BMW. He takes after my first wife, a.k.a ex.

..... When I showed a photo of my Giulia with Mt Rainier in the background to a good friend at the supermarket she said: You should have bought a Tesla!

..... I have quite a few Korean friends who always ask me if it is as good as a Hyundai or a Kia?

..... I can't tell you how many women I have had to explain how to pronounce Giulia!

..... Every time I put it in manual mode and use the paddle shifters and get on the long I-90 on ramp East of here in low traffic, 70mph speed limit with the pedal to the metal up to 80mph (in 6.8 seconds) I have a sore neck for several hours! For God's sake don't buy one of those Quadrafoogios or you'll have a back brace in no time!

..... Sometimes I help my friend who is an undertaker. Unfortunately, there is only room for one body at a time in the trunk.

..... The thing corners and handles like a high end sports car. They told me it was a 4 door sedan. A British car magazine tester said it was like a 4 door Ferarri. Now I find out.

..... There is zero play in the steering wheel. The other day I reached into the back seat for another beer and I ended up two lanes over.

NEW

..... I never got the first 7 months of the free year's supply of Mama Mia pizza that was to supposedly come with the sports package.

..... Found out this supposedly all Italian car came with a Nazi/German 8 speed transmission that also comes in the Limey Rolls Royce Phantom and Ghost models plus the Dodge Ram (good grief) and some Bentley's, etc. Word has it the new soon to be released 2019 Yugo ST-187 GT night have it also.

..... My Japanese wife was happy when she found out that the carbon fiber drive train was Japanese made but then got pissed when she realized the Japanese brand Bridgestone tires were actually made in Poland!

..... They even force the police in Italy to drive these things. Not a single Mafioso has ever outrun them.

..... If I had to sum up my feelings about this bothersome car in a single Italian word I would have to say magnifico!

Well, I don't want to bore you with anymore of my gripes about the Giulia. Just don't say I didn't warn you!

Attachments

Reactions: Alfaholico and FNM
1 - 20 of 30 Posts