Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, it is true. My engine out of nowhere began to making a clunking noise, like metal banging. Pulled to the side and I could feel something was terribly wrong. Called the tow truck and brought to the dealership in Walnut Creek, CA.

One hour goes by and they call me back saying yes, your engine needs replacement. Oh and BTW, we can't replace because we are no longer doing warranty claims as of next week. They say that if they don't have the parts in house they can't submit a warranty claim.

I am hoping someone could give me some insights on the validity of this? Can they really not take my car and tell me I need to go elsewhere? To make things more interesting, my warranty expires November 29th in just few days. Yes I am taking this one as a win as it could be a lot worse.

Anyone local in the Bay Area have any feedback on other dealers that I could bring for the warranty claim? Livermore,Berkeley, Marin or San Jose?

Thanks
Alex
2017 QV - 32K Miles

·
Registered
638 Posts
Well this is the type of first post we want to read on here..if that really happened, hope they figure it out before your warranty expires.

How were you driving before the engine made all that noise?

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
32 Posts
Well, it is true. My engine out of nowhere began to making a clunking noise, like metal banging. Pulled to the side and I could feel something was terribly wrong. Called the tow truck and brought to the dealership in Walnut Creek, CA.

One hour goes by and they call me back saying yes, your engine needs replacement. Oh and BTW, we can't replace because we are no longer doing warranty claims as of next week. They say that if they don't have the parts in house they can't submit a warranty claim.

I am hoping someone could give me some insights on the validity of this? Can they really not take my car and tell me I need to go elsewhere? To make things more interesting, my warranty expires November 29th in just few days. Yes I am taking this one as a win as it could be a lot worse.

Anyone local in the Bay Area have any feedback on other dealers that I could bring for the warranty claim? Livermore,Berkeley, Marin or San Jose?

Thanks
Alex
2017 QV - 32K Miles
The only reason why they wouldn't be able to do a warranty claim, to my knowledge, would be if they're losing their dealership license next week...and at that point I'm not sure I'd want them working on my car either. I would immediately tow it another dealership and then I'd recommend contacting Alfa Romeo Cares and opening a case with them prior to your warranty expiration, that way they can't claim that because the issue is past your warranty that it's not covered.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well this is the type of first post we want to read on here..if that really happened, hope they figure it out before your warranty expires.

Not my first post somehow I got login automatically with a google account and didn't even realize.

Yeah it really happened, can't post a video here unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts

How were you driving before the engine made all that noise?
There's a lot more details that need to be given i.e. service history and is it new or used.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,761 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,921 Posts
Yeah it really happened, can't post a video here unfortunately.
You can post a video on Youtube and then link to it here.

There have been a couple of total engine failures reported. Not a lot. The QV engine is stupid expensive, so make sure you get it done under warranty if you can; otherwise consider Alfa Parts Exchange in Tracy (Banta) to get a used engine.

Based on reports from others, I would look to Steven's Creek Alfa, or Alfa of Marin for the work. Business seems to be up a Steven's Creek Alfa, unlike most other Alfa dealerships.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There's a lot more details that need to be given i.e. service history and is it new or used.
I bought the car in 2017 from Tonkin Alfa in Oregon. It has been serviced by the Alfa Dealership in Walnut Creek since I got it. All services, all oil changes. I have recently completed the 30k service with them. I have been babying this car.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,761 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,921 Posts
Here's a dropbox link for those interested to see the video
Sounds a bit like an exhaust manifold fell off to me. And yes, I have had that happen (small engines).

I bought the car in 2017 from Tonkin Alfa in Oregon. It has been serviced by the Alfa Dealership in Walnut Creek since I got it. All services, all oil changes. I have recently completed the 30k service with them. I have been babying this car.
Maybe babying it too much? Giulia likes to go for a ride--so to speak. Seriously, carbon build up can be an issue in DI engines, ya gotta put your foot down once in a while. The Italian tune up really is a thing.

·
Registered
85 Posts

Thanks
Alex
2017 QV - 32K Miles
Sorry to hear about your QV and hope everything works out. That's my dealership as well so I hope they aren't dropping Alfa sales/support. Do share what you find out about them.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I think you have a couple of more days to call all the dealerships around and ask who is going to take your car to fix it. And flat-bed the car to them ASAP. You probably are not 100% sure that a new engine is needed so, you may be surprised by that new dealership with a less traumatic solution. I think is great advice to call Alfa Care and report the situation and that you are at just few days of the warranty to expire. That report may help you if this mess will go longer and the warranty coverage subject shows up.

Good luck in the next few days. Hope everything will turn out well for you. Do not panic. It will get resolved, as everything.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Here's a dropbox link for those interested to see the video
This sounds rubbery not like a true engine knock. An engine knock is much more metallic. You'd have to open the hood to get some better audio, in fact might make sense to look around under there to see what you can see.

·
Vendor
3,564 Posts
More info needed for sure. So did you just get done tracking it?
Clickbait headline. haha Engine still runs it did not "blow up".

Why are you babying it? That is why you have this issue. Have you been doing 10K mile oil changes?

Sounds like a stuck tappet to me, from babying the thing. Hard to tell, can we get another video with hood open? Ticking sound does not start right off the bat when starting up which is good. Anyway, hard to tell from this clip. Need a better one. If it needs replacement, get it replaced and this time Do not exceed 5K miles with oil changes. Drive it hard as soon as the new engine is in. I MEAN HARD!!! Babying it will cause more issues that you want.

Find a Dealer that will replace the motor, truck it to them if you have to. Good luck. I had a knock, rod. Nothing that loud. Very subtle knock. Replaced motor under warranty. I have about 625 miles on the new motor. When they replace the motor, the mechanic must within the first 100 miles break it in HARD! No baby stuff here, that's old school mentality and what ruins engines today.

·
Registered
1 Posts
we are no longer doing warranty claims as of next week.
This is true. We bought and serviced our first two Alfa's (Stelvio and Giulia) from Walnut Creek, a very solid service team. But they just found out last week that the dealership owner decided to separate with Alfa Service (they stopped selling them last year) and are moving on with Maserati and the other exotics they sell.

We bought my wife's second Stelvio from Stevens Creek Alfa/Maserati in San Jose. I would give them a call and see what you need to do to lock in the warranty claim before it expires and have it flat bedded to San Jose. I was advised against Livermore by a friend. Best of luck, post updates.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts