Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my daily driver is at the dealer getting a squeaky blower fan checked out (the only issue I've had). In return I was a given a similarly priced Giulia Q4, but man it couldn’t be worlds different from my car. On my short drive from the dealership to work and subsequently to home later this evening I found myself thinking is this really the same brand and car I’ve grown to love in the 4,400 miles I’ve driven. Sorta gave a new perspective on some of the threads I see on here.

For comparison:

Here’s my loaner car
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=ZARFAEDN2H7545488
March ’17 build date

Here’s my daily driver
https://www.chrysler.com/hostd/windowsticker/getWindowStickerPdf.do?vin=ZARFAEEN4H7554160
May ’17 build date

1. Immediately upon entering the car, I noticed that Auto Start/Stop was disabled and remained disabled for my entire drive in to work and on my way home. Gave me a little chuckle given some of the threads I see on here. Immediately in my head I’m thinking oh boy you cannot be serious.

2. You can probably see in my signature and past threads my daily driver is lightly modded and has some interior/exterior treatments. Mods aside which I’ll get to in 3, I found myself really missing the Optional Equipment I spec’d

2.1 - The Seats
In my daily driver I have the sports seats. The loaner has regular seats. I don’t claim to be a leather aficionado by any means, but the base seats feel significantly cheaper and almost slippery. Additionally the side bolsters in the sports seats do a really good job at keeping you in place. I couldn’t take turns nearly as fast as I kept sliding around in the loaner.

2.2 - Performance Package
Active suspension - Yes I actually missed this. The stock suspension seems like a big compromise. Hard to explain but it was never firm enough or soft enough. It just felt there but I never had the I’m on rails feeling as in my daily driver. Not to mention the active suspension on Boston roads is a must have. So great being able to switch settings. I won’t claim to experienced the limited slip difference in rush hour traffic, but I’ll try and take some quick turns tomorrow and report back my findings.

2.3 - The engine
Maybe its the exhaust and intake in my daily driver talking here , but it feels like my car was more responsive in stock form in dynamic mode than the loaner. Maybe the loaner is just confused from all the different drivers, but this was really puzzling. It just wasn’t as snappy in D.

2.4 - The paddle shifters. So much part of the character of the car. I realize there is benefit to having luxury and sport versions of our car but this loaner was neither. It was just some generic sedan where if you told me it was an Audi I wouldn’t have been surprised. I found myself being driven and not doing the driving. Between the lack of engine responsiveness and no paddles I felt robbed of the driving experience I’ve grown to love.

2.3 Driver Assistance
So the loaner came with the Dynamic Plus Package, for some reason I thought this included blind sport mirrors. It doesn’t or the loaner doesn’t have them for some reason. In any event I know some hate driver aids, but I’ve started using this feature to my advantage and not out of laziness. Definitely missed this.

3. Mods
Aftermarket exhaust is an absolute requirement if you care for anything sporty. Stock the car feels like its breathing through a tiny straw. The Centerline Corsa exhaust I have really lets the car sing. Not to mention the Eurocompulsion intake.

In any event I just want to write some of this stuff down as I know there are many lurkers on here are still gathering information. These options greatly change the personality of the car that you get. For me the seats, paddle shifters, and performance package are absolute requirement/must haves for any kind of sporty enjoyment.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Great post. It reinforces my package choices on what I ordered. Might also have to consider the mods you mentioned at some point after I get my Giulia.

Reactions: chaiguy

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Returned the loaner last night. Feels good to be back in my DD. Pushing that red button and hearing that corsa exhaust is something special...

Some other interesting points:

Definitely missed the auto dimming rear view and side mirrors. In particular dimming of the side mirrors is really useful.

The loaner got a bit more responsive as it started to learn my driving style but still no where close to the responsiveness that I've gotten used to.

The operation of the heated seats button functioned differently between the loaner and my DD. Very strange, perhaps this is something that changed in a software update?? Different in the sense of how it cycles through the 3 different heat settings.

The Auto Start/Stop still had issues. Not that I used it but it still showed as disabled.

Adding navigation doesn't seem worth it to me

The loaner radio seemed to experience static at times, I've never experienced this in my DD

Head room difference is really noticeable between cars that have sunroof and don't

I never noticed that we had a instrument cluster brightness dial. The tech changed my setting for some reason (probably fishing around to find the squeak) but something I had to look up in the manual when I got home.

What I've gathered in all this.

1. Please make sure your car gets all the latest updates. All of these little niggles can be completely frustrating but for the most part preventable.
2. Cars built after May '17 seem to be pretty dialed in as far as updates and fixes.

So if anyone is looking at getting a good deal on a '17 consider these points

·
Registered
647 Posts
After reading this thread I am so depressed that I have a cheap-ass base Giulia Q4 that I have decided to put it up for sale and will
most likely go to the top of the Space Needle and jump off unless I get cold feet on the way up the elevator and chicken out.

BTW: I paid $38,200 for my Q4 out the door (pus tax and reg). I have the sports package inside and out (a must!), don't need the darn
XM/Sirius package it came with (all included in the $38,200 price, msrp of $44,740)! I have 18" wheels w/ yellow calipers, dimming
rear view mirror, lovely leather interior and the most comfortable seat I have every had in 55 years of driving for my 6-4, 230lbs frame.
I don't need the blind spot warning because I know how to properly set my mirrors so there is no blind spot, very simple but mostly
unknown. I knew how to dim those dash lights before I picked up the car since I read the manual twice before I bought Giulia. I have
the paddle shifters (sports package) and use it and the manual shifting on the shift handle, both are awesome and the engine and cheap
exhaust sounds great! After one visit to the dealer for applicable RRT's the Q4 drives like a dream with zero hesitation, shut offs, no brake
pulsing when stopping. My FM radio in HD sounds superb, no static (one has to turn on the HD function) and the stock speaker system
is excellent. The HK system for $900, surround sound is a waste in a car. I don't need the extra safety items as I follow way back in cruse
control during boring local traffic. The heater is very fast in the Giulia and for me the heated seats are a huge waste of money. My wife says
my rear is very warm and cuddly.

Chaiguy how much did your Ti including the mods cost so far? Just curious.

BTW: I think I have just talked myself out of selling Giulia and taking the leap. (;))

I advise folks like me on a very limited budget to consider the base Giulla AWD, with both the sports package inside and out (great extra features
and well worth the money). The 8.8 screen is fine if it comes with it. I would in most cases forget the huge sunroof. I have used mine in the last
16 years in my Honda maybe 10 times, they can be a PITA and the big black one on the Giulia doesn't look that good to me.

The Ti is a great model and starts at $2000 msrp more than the base, but many times comes loaded with extras which one might or might not want.
If you have the dough go for it (50k and way up) but please don't count out the base Q4 AWD (.6 seconds faster than the 2WD, better IMO),
with the sports packages for an awesome sports sedan.

Just a poor man's alternative, but still a great sports sedan. :grin2:

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I think they have model choices to suit most peoples needs or driving styles.
if my wife was buying for herself she would likely go for an AWD with lusso seats - and pass on every sports option or gizmo convenience.
if we were still in CA she would pass on the AWD.

the issues, as mentioned, are dealers loading them all up with options a lot of people don't want, and Alfa limiting the choices of interiors by model and color.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good grief. I'm not trying to knock the base version of the Giulia.

My intent here is to provide insight into the differences between the package builds. It GREATLY changes the experience of the car.

I don't think many people on this forum have had time to really live with very different versions of the same car. Most probably just had a 10-20 minute test drive and that's hardly enough to really experience the differences. Then they try and look at the comparison sheet and figure out what they want. That's kinda hard...there are features you don't even think about evaluating when you do that...

Obviously people need to make the best financial decision for them and live with that. I wanted a QV but the best financial decision for me right now is a TI Q4 with a couple bolt ons...

And as far as mods go
Exhaust ~$1,000
Intake ~$400

·
Registered
647 Posts
Good grief. I'm not trying to knock the base version of the Giulia.

My intent here is to provide insight into the differences between the package builds. It GREATLY changes the experience of the car.

I don't think many people on this forum have had time to really live with very different versions of the same car. Most probably just had a 10-20 minute test drive and that's hardly enough to really experience the differences. Then they try and look at the comparison sheet and figure out what they want. That's kinda hard...there are features you don't even think about evaluating when you do that...
extedned
Obviously people need to make the best financial decision for them and live with that. I wanted a QV but the best financial decision for me right now is a TI Q4 with a couple bolt ons...

And as far as mods go
Exhaust ~$1,000
Intake ~$400
How much did you pay for the Ti including mods? Rather relative don't you think in line of our discussion here.

Sounds to me like you were were knocking the Q4. Greatly changes sounds like a big exaggeration to me.

My response was meant to be a rather tongue in cheek humorous story defending my poor little generic sedan, but there are some of us who can't afford $50-55k+ for a Giulia. That was my point and not to discourage those who can only afford the base model which according to you is a generic sedan no better than an Audi. Nice compliment. My aluminum pedals, all leather seats and steering wheel look very classy as well as the outside black accents, plus more, all included in the sports package. I took the Giulia home for an extended test drive and was so impressed. Your Ti if I read correctly has 19" tires plus active suspension which I would agree would make some diving improvement for many. No LSD needed here. However, the base AWD is a great performing car as is and no need to warn folks about it. All the other differences you mentioned have zero to do with the performance of the car and only your personal preferences like the aftermarket exhaust that is an absolute requirement if you care for anything sporty (nonsense). I presume the after market exhaust sounds more cool than mine but mine still sounds awesome to me and many folks. Do you have the yellow brake calipers that I have that are insanely sporty? The other niceties for you are fine but don't affect its performance at all. BTW, I thought our Giulia's have the same exact engine?

You obviously have a wonderful performing Giulia sports sedan, but no need to berate us who have the very nice base Q4 with sports package. It is no Audi!

Attachments

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@JuliaQ4-Nut

I think you missed my point here.

The base loaner and my ti are similarly priced... I was actually surprised by the experience.

As I mentioned in my last post the difference between the two cars in MSRP is $1,150. You can clearly see the MSRP pricing in the window stickers I shared in my initial post.

I clearly value different things than the loaner offered.

This isn't an attack on anyone.. so this has nothing to do with berating anyone...

If you don't care about a sport sedan feel then obviously my spec isn't for you.

Different strokes man. Happy to leave this thread as it is. I hope serves as a reference

·
Registered
647 Posts
@JuliaQ4-Nut

I think you missed my point here.

The base loaner and my ti are similarly priced... I was actually surprised by the experience.

As I mentioned in my last post the difference between the two cars in MSRP is $1,150. You can clearly see the MSRP pricing in the window stickers I shared in my initial post.

I clearly value different things than the loaner offered.

This isn't an attack on anyone.. so this has nothing to do with berating anyone...

If you don't care about a sport sedan feel then obviously my spec isn't for you.

Different strokes man. Happy to leave this thread as it is. I hope serves as a reference
Sorry, I was not able to get the sticker link open before. Now it is working. You imply that I don't care about having a "sports sedan."
That is very funny. The only things your Ti has that my Q4 doesn't have that affect performance are:

19-Inch X 8-Inch Dark 5-Hole Aluminum Wheels
225/40R19 All Season Performance Tire

Active Suspension
Mechanical Limited Slip Differential

That's it!

The other items you have might be nice for you but have zero affect on the Giulia Ti being more sporty or better performing. The Ti's base msrp is exactly
$2000 more than the Q4 AWD. That extra amount is all non performance, heated steering wheel, front parking sensor and several other
perhaps nice to have but no more sporty for the $2000. I had stickers for both models before I bought and knew the exact differences for the 2k difference.

Yes, the 19" versus my 18" wheels are an upgrade, plus the active suspension is also an upgrade (only a maybe for me and others since my suspension is as
perfect as it gets for a great compromise between firm tracking, cornering and reasonable smoothness over bumps/expansion joints, etc.). These two together
make for an upgrade but no life changing improvement. To imply that these several upgrades make the Ti a huge difference versus the Q4 is absurd. I'll take
my Base Q4 for $10,000 less with the 18" tires and standard suspension any day. Note they both look and are very sporty. If they were parked side by side
nobody would be able to tell them apart and very little difference in driving them. Almost no sane person would mistake the Q4 for an Audi! :D

PS: Sorry folks about my computer's goofy spacing.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,754 Posts
Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think we're done here. I won't be responding to any more posts.

The performance and sport aspect were not the only points I mentioned.

You clearly don't care or value the other points I mentioned. That's your prerogative and why you chose a different spec.

I found myself missing the very things my DD has that my loaner didn't have. That's important. Those stupid little convenience features add up, and if I'm paying the same money, I would get the TI instead.

I really don't care to compare your car, that wasn't the point of this thread to begin with. For the 3rd time now, these cars were priced similarly within $1,000 of each other with different driving characteristics and overall experience.

You clearly feel this is a personal attack on you and how much you paid for your car. It's your car man, enjoy it. We're both very lucky to afford a $40k+ car.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The point of your thread was to complain about the loaner base Giulia Q4 compared in detail to your Ti. It is possible that you got a loaner that was not up to normal performance. Your Ti is clearly superior in several performance issues. The personal preferences like heated seats, etc. are fine if you like them, but don't make a sedan into a sports sedan. This forum is way too focused on negative Giulia issues. We all know they are not perfect especially with a brand new from the ground up car model. Most of the folks who have no issues don't even seek out the Giulia forum to express how pleased they are. That includes the base Giulia's.

You seemed to have been a happy Giulia owner. Your opinion that you are happy that you bought the Ti over a base Giulia is fine just like your wish you had a QV. The jump from a base Q4 to a Ti is a very small improvement versus the huge jump from a Q4 or Ti to a QV, approx 40k dollars more, but I'm still happy. However, your detailed rant section by section on how lousy you seemed to think the base Giulia was versus your Ti, including the comments about it being a generic sedan like the Audi is where I take issue with your thread. Pretty insulting to folks like me who have or will choose to buy the Q4. Sorry our Giulia's don't meet your idea of a sports sedan. I will continue to respond to any member who doesn't recommend the base Q4

I think all three models and the non-US model Giula's are very fine sports sedans depending on which model one can afford. No offense to Audi owners but my Giuiia is no Audi.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I think he was misinterpreted here.....The verbiage made it sound like the Base was being bashed but I really think he was trying to point out "package differences" and their relative effect on driving dynamics....Let's just all "feel the love".....after all, this is not a BMW Forum.....let the haters hate....that's not our style....Peace out....and Love !!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts