Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up Giulia on Jan. 20th this year, and got into an accident 3.5hrs off the lot. She's not looked right since, and I've just got to vent about it for a minute behind the latest turn in this silly story.

The first frustration came in calling the dealer about the repair. They initially told me they couldn't do it here in town, and that I had to go to another facility they own about 40 minutes away. I went there, and they had no idea what kind of car it was and actually turned me away, advising an indie body shop on the other side of that town somewhere.

It struck me as odd, and since the car is a lease, I wanted them to fix it so that they couldn't give me any grief about it not being done right. So I drove back to the home dealer, stopped in, and gave my sales manager some grief, like WTF is going on. He made some calls and got shuffled around too; he called the area AR rep and they tried to send me to a dealer just over an hour away. I protested that, and he said he'd keep working on it. The next day he called to say his body shop could do it after all.

Next, I waited 5 weeks for the parts to arrive.

Then I had to wait another week to get scheduled in.

When the shop told me it was done 2 weeks later, I went directly to get it, looked it over in the bright sunlight briefly, and went home. Clouds rolled in when I got home, and in the diffuse light I could plainly see a line defining the repaired and repainted metal area! So I took it back. I told them there was too much black in it; they said they check into the color and would "fog it in" so it'd look better.

A week and half later, last night, I get the call to come pick it up, but at the dealer, not the body shop. Weird, but I went directly. It was late evening, dark, rainy and cold. The car was outside, so there wasn't much to inspect, so I took it home.

This morning, I went about my work, and walking back to the car, I just about freaked to see that they'd basically just spread that too-black red further afield, along the side of the car! It looks bruised in places. Cripes! So I call the shop, the guy I'd been dealing with bounced me to a Cadillac dealer down the street. "Call Dom, I've sent him all the info, and he can straighten it out." Huh? Oh, it's the same dealer? Ok, whatever, I just need it done right.

I immediately call my sales guy to ask to who the service manager is, because this crap is ridiculous, but before I got off the call, another comes through, and it's Cadillac Dom. He tells me the Chrysler dealer body shop is closing down because they didn't have the facilities and tools needed, and that he's got the info, will get a paint reader thing, and do it right. No worries, it seems, and he's sharp, clearly knows his biz. He basically talked me down in the best way, by reassuring me he was competent.

So now I'm waiting, sitting here by the window, trying not to look at the car, because it makes me feel so frustrated. It's just about 10 weeks post accident, and I've just not been able to properly enjoy my car since I picked it up. I've never seen it, during my ownership, in the daylight as it should be. That's...incredibly sad! I can do it, though, and see this through until it's fixed properly and normal. It's going to be normal again, right???

·
Registered
402 Posts
That is quite the story. Amazing that FCA allows its customers to experience this level of incompetence. I hope it all works out for your soon. Should look great when properly completed.

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
That is quite the story. Amazing that FCA allows its customers to experience this level of incompetence. I hope it all works out for your soon. Should look great when properly completed.
FCA itself is making a lot of mistakes. The dealership here in ATL got 13 QVs delivered. 13! Due to a mistake on the FCA side. They have more QVs than any other model/trim. They also delivered a ton too many Stelvios. Anyway, I am not going to drive this topic into another street.

Sorry about your car bud. Let's see how it looks in May when I am in AA.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Do you have the Tri-Coat Competizone Red color? A Tri-Coat paint job includes a middle coat that is primarily transparent so that the base coat will appear to be metallic or pearlescent. It is a challenging color to match because the middle coat has to be sprayed on lightly and evenly to avoid applying it too heavy in some spots. It's a very tricky paint to match.

I ordered my QV in the non metallic Alfa Red color, and I'm glad I did. I actually like it more than the Tri-Coat Red, and it is a lot easier to match if a panel ever needs to be repainted.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you have the Tri-Coat Competizone Red color? A Tri-Coat paint job includes a middle coat that is primarily transparent so that the base coat will appear to be metallic or pearlescent. It is a challenging color to match because the middle coat has to be sprayed on lightly and evenly to avoid applying it too heavy in some spots. It's a very tricky paint to match.

I ordered my QV in the non metallic Alfa Red color, and I'm glad I did. I actually like it more than the Tri-Coat Red, and it is a lot easier to match if a panel ever needs to be repainted.
No, I have Alfa Rosso, and I suggest you don’t get in any accidents!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I’m sorry to hear about this.

I have Rosso Competizione and the body shop repaired and painted my car perfectly. They also told me that tri-coat is not as hard as you think to match.

I’m in South Florida though and the ABSOLUTE KEY is to use a body shop that works on exotic cars, namely because the paint specs are more exacting for those cars and typically they can afford to hire more experienced body and paint guys. I would not take my car to a place that only does Japanese or American cars.

·
Registered
256 Posts
You’re right to be frustrated. Anyone would be.

Hope you get it settled soon.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I feel your pain. Was involved in a minor accident early March which required a few parts such as rear bumper, diffuser. Still in the shop waiting on parts. To make matters worse last week was told that there is damage to the rear driver side quarter panel which will need to be replaced. My car is a Quad with the Tri-coat red paint. Really concerned about matching the paint.

·
Registered
84 Posts

I have Rosso Competizione and the body shop repaired and painted my car perfectly. They also told me that tri-coat is not as hard as you think to match.

I’m in South Florida though and the ABSOLUTE KEY is to use a body shop that works on exotic cars, namely because the paint specs are more exacting for those cars and typically they can afford to hire more experienced body and paint guys. I would not take my car to a place that only does Japanese or American cars.
Where did you take your car?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Frankly the body repair situation with Alfas and Maseratis (at least in Massachusetts) is ridiculous. My Ti got some scuffs and dents on the passenger rear quarter, front door and rear wheel while parked recently and I've been trying to get repair quotes from the dealerships in the area. All of them say they still don't have Alfa parts in their systems so every time they have to do a quote they have to talk to Alfa in Italy, which takes weeks. One of the dealerships told me they don't even have Maserati in their system, even though the brand has been on the US market for a while now.

So far I only have a quote from the only certified one in the are and that's for over $8k, bearing in mind we're only replacing the wheel. Body panels will be repaired and repainted, not replaced. The second dealership I went to right out refused to quote me and I've been waiting for a third quote for 4 days now...

On a side note about a month ago I took the car to one of the dealerships for the sunroof rattle and it took 2 weeks to repair because the windshield cracked during repair and they had to ship one from Italy. To add insult to injury the rattle came back 1 day later.

I love the car but the repair experience so far has left a bitter taste in my mouth. This isn't a limited production exotic and it's been out for 2 years now. Shops should be much better prepared to make repairs.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Frankly the body repair situation with Alfas and Maseratis (at least in Massachusetts) is ridiculous. My Ti got some scuffs and dents on the passenger rear quarter, front door and rear wheel while parked recently and I've been trying to get repair quotes from the dealerships in the area. All of them say they still don't have Alfa parts in their systems so every time they have to do a quote they have to talk to Alfa in Italy, which takes weeks. One of the dealerships told me they don't even have Maserati in their system, even though the brand has been on the US market for a while now.

So far I only have a quote from the only certified one in the are and that's for over $8k, bearing in mind we're only replacing the wheel. Body panels will be repaired and repainted, not replaced. The second dealership I went to right out refused to quote me and I've been waiting for a third quote for 4 days now...

On a side note about a month ago I took the car to one of the dealerships for the sunroof rattle and it took 2 weeks to repair because the windshield cracked during repair and they had to ship one from Italy. To add insult to injury the rattle came back 1 day later.

I love the car but the repair experience so far has left a bitter taste in my mouth. This isn't a limited production exotic and it's been out for 2 years now. Shops should be much better prepared to make repairs.
Yikes!

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
573 Posts

I am a bit confused on how you get a cracked windshield out of a rattling sun roof repair? And they didn't even fix the rattle? Seems to be a huge lack of competence in the automotive repair industry these days. This is why I have a hard time letting anyone else work on any of my cars.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,441 Posts
I am a bit confused on how you get a cracked windshield out of a rattling sun roof repair? And they didn't even fix the rattle? Seems to be a huge lack of competence in the automotive repair industry these days. This is why I have a hard time letting anyone else work on any of my cars.
The windshield was probably removed so the headliner and sunroof assembly could be extracted.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
And I was just noticing how cool the windshield mounting system is, with flush glass edge at the roofline! Chupacabra, talk to Bobby Brown at Boch Collision, way down the Automile in Norwood. He did a fiberglass repair and respray of my front bumper on the 348 before the doofus hit me. I tagged a steel plate on Newbury St. His guys actually removed a poor repair, v'd out the cracks and refilled with resin, fiber, then reshot the Rosso Corsa from Glassurit ca. 1994. One pint was near $100 or more. I did the removal and reinstall myself and saved a ton. He is part of the Boch company and there was a 458 there when I stopped in for a quote. He was cool and prefers to keep the exotics off the lot as much as possible but does the work. I am going to the F1 watch party tomorrow with a buddy at FoNE. I'll ask around and see if Ronnie from Central Alfa is there or talk to Sean or Michael from Ferrari service. I think Bobby might be your guy.

Mopar has the paint pens. The color cans should not be too hard to get.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hey Blu. What is the name of the shop you got your car repaired? I had an accident this afternoon and would like to take my car somewhere they can fix it right. I’m in Broward/miami area.
thank you

1 - 18 of 18 Posts