Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going straight across an intersection the other day and an old lady was coming the opposite direction. No-one was hurt. She turned left onto the road I was going across but decided to take a shortcut through my car. That didn't work out well.

The obvious damage is a bumper, fender, inner fender, steering knuckle, wheel, radiator, door and side skirt. What is unknown at this point is what damage can't be seen. Their insurance will be having my car taken to my body shop early next week hopefully so they can start doing their assessment.

My fear is frame damage given the damage done to the steering.

If you've had similar damage to this, feel free to chime in and let me know if yours was repaired or totaled.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
306 Posts
I had an Audi a4 hit like that but rear quarter . it was 8k worth of damage back in 2001 and the alignment was never right after. minivan hit me on driver's side rear wheel and it spun me into two cars at the intersection . it wasn't totalled. now I imagine your damage is probably like 20k and that paint will be impossible to get right.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a similar situation years ago. It was my first car-Supra. The car never felt the same. Most of us here are very "connected" to our cars and notice the slightest changes. I hope you have better luck mate. Glad you and the old lady are ok but, very sorry about the car.

·
Registered
2019 Misano Blue Giulia Q4
12 Posts
Had a family car (Nissan Rogue) hit like this which was totaled, the damage was way worse from what I heard (my dad got into the accident) I never saw the car or photos. This looks repairable but will be expensive, hopefully she drives right again after. Good luck and glad you're safe which is the important thing

·
Registered
346 Posts
Always painful to see.

Since the airbags didn’t deploy, and unless there’s frame damage, I would assume repairable.

Start shopping around for reputable bodyshops that work on high end cars in your area.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti
4 Posts
That sucks. :eek::cry: Glad you're safe.

It looks repairable, but the front frame looks like it might be bent.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
462 Posts
That is a bummer. Glad you are alright and I assume the old lady was as well. With that said, I think the insurance company is going to total it. Good luck and please keep us updated.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was going straight across an intersection the other day and an old lady was coming the opposite direction. No-one was hurt. She turned left onto the road I was going across but decided to take a shortcut through my car. That didn't work out well.

The obvious damage is a bumper, fender, inner fender, steering knuckle, wheel, radiator, door and side skirt. What is unknown at this point is what damage can't be seen. Their insurance will be having my car taken to my body shop early next week hopefully so they can start doing their assessment.

If you've had similar damage to this, feel free to chime in and let me know if yours was repaired or totaled.

View attachment 105212 View attachment 105213 View attachment 105214 View attachment 105215 View attachment 105216
My guess is that’s a fixer. Had it been more front on - right off for sure. Too expensive to replace front end (splitter, headlights, hood).

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
With it being a QV, I doubt there’s enough damage to total it.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
414 Posts
Intercooler, 2x suspension arms, likely damper, new steering rack (mine had a bent steering link and they required a new rack), fender front bumper + damage under bumper, probably hood repaint, headlight, headlight washer, new wheel, all that plus labor, $20k - $25k is probably a good guess. Is it a total loss? Not if it's under ~$44k (assuming 80% of market and your car is a 2018). I'm going through similar right now with my QF. Painful. Sorry, man...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Intercooler, 2x suspension arms, likely damper, new steering rack (mine had a bent steering link and they required a new rack), fender front bumper + damage under bumper, probably hood repaint, headlight, headlight washer, new wheel, all that plus labor, $20k - $25k is probably a good guess. Is it a total loss? Not if it's under ~$44k (assuming 80% of market and your car is a 2018). I'm going through similar right now with my QF. Painful. Sorry, man...
Sorry to hear about yours too.

Forgot to state mines a 2017 with 14000 miles. I think you are right. My gut is saying $20-25. Plus they will have to pay diminished value claim. The value is probably 45-55 depending what comparison cars you use. Of course that will change if the frame is damaged.

im hoping to get it to a body shop Monday or Tuesday. I'll keep the forum posted on the progress.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,057 Posts
Glad to hear you're OK. Must have been interesting climbing out.
That's quite a shear. Did you find the headlight washer cover?

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Sorry to hear about yours too.

Forgot to state mines a 2017 with 14000 miles. I think you are right. My gut is saying $20-25. Plus they will have to pay diminished value claim. The value is probably 45-55 depending what comparison cars you use. Of course that will change if the frame is damaged.

im hoping to get it to a body shop Monday or Tuesday. I'll keep the forum posted on the progress.
1) Contract the company you plan to use for your diminished value claim NOW and have them pull a CARFAX before the accident gets listed. Then after the CARFAX is updated with the accident you will have an easy claim.

2) Chose the body shop wisely. I recommend the local Maserati and Ferrari dealers preferred shop...if that’s not available, Lexus dealers use pretty solid shops.

3) Research the other party’s insurance company. If it’s Allstate, buckle up and post here...I’ll warn you what to expect.

·
Registered
904 Posts
If they total it, sell me those wheels.

·
Registered
139 Posts

View attachment 105212 View attachment 105213 View attachment 105214 View attachment 105215 View attachment 105216
Ouch....why not a ti.....why did she have to hit a quad? Sorry to hear.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1) Contract the company you plan to use for your diminished value claim NOW and have them pull a CARFAX before the accident gets listed. Then after the CARFAX is updated with the accident you will have an easy claim.

2) Chose the body shop wisely. I recommend the local Maserati and Ferrari dealers preferred shop...if that’s not available, Lexus dealers use pretty solid shops.

3) Research the other party’s insurancecompany. If it’s Allstate, buckle up and post here...I’ll warn you what to expect.
For the diminished value, what impact would the carfax have? I did talk to their insurance company about the diminished value and I've made them fully aware I will be filing that. If they try to BS me then I will get a lawyer involved, but I'll see how it goes. I did pull up the value of my car on KBB and Nada the day of the accident and saved that to have for reference and found 16 cars without 500 miles that would be used for comps.

For the shop, I do have a few good options. The shop I want to use isn't accepting any more jobs at the moment. They are too far behind. Which sucks, but I'm glad they're being honest and not just taking the car for it to sit there forever. I will need to contact my second and third choices on Monday and they insurance company didn't confirm the claim until 4:45 today and only had time to call my first shop before closing time.

It's not allstate or Geico. I've heard bad things about both. I have no idea what to expect and I've never heard of the company, Selective Insurance. We'll see.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Glad to hear you're OK. Must have been interesting climbing out.
That's quite a shear. Did you find the headlight washer cover?
I did have to climb out of the passenger side and I'm a big guy. It was.....interesting.

No, I didn't look for it, but I did save the broken knuckle top as a 'souvenir'

·
Registered
379 Posts
pf, that's like walk in the park for Arthur Tussik :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

From pictures it's just a scratch - new bumper, new headlight, new driver's wing, couple of suspension control arms.
Then put on lift and check steering rack for damage - might need replacement or just couple bent tie rods. And inspect front subframe - could be damaged too (easy replacement).
And hope that front splitter with it's actuators isn't damaged as those cost fortune.
Also most likely driver's seat belt has been deployed.
Hit paint shop and you good to go :D

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia Q4
236 Posts

3) Research the other party’s insurance company. If it’s Allstate, buckle up and post here...I’ll warn you what to expect.
+1 on the Allstate comment. Notorious low ballers.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts