Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
52K, WTF! MSRP 79K, 7 months old
unless your car has super high miles and dings & **** paint...they just low-balled you big time:grin2:
would not take that serious....further from what I have read Car Max dealerships aren't exactly super honest...they are just very expedient in the buying process...a modern day carcash....remember those guys :)

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
"Seriously" that's why I put 25K down ;) Shop around. What are your miles?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,808 Posts
I wish I remembered who it was that likened them to a pawn shop.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
You guys are forgetting they are Dealers. You are getting the wholesale value, not retail value. Put the car on BaT and see what it does.

·
Registered
94 Posts
52K, WTF! MSRP 79K, 7 months old[/QUOTE

Looked it up average trade in depending on were you are is about 56K to 61K. Again remember this is trade in value, most dealers try average about $4000.00 when turning around and selling a pre-owned car. So with that said you could most likely retail the car for around 63k to 65K witch is about right.

·
Registered
105 Posts
5k miles. Car is in great shape. I was going to use their price to leverage the dealers trade in appraisal . I guess not now.
Actually dealers do the reverse and leverage Carmax. They often recommend that you first get a free Carmax evaluation so that you wont be so shocked when they lowball you with a similar number.

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
630 Posts
I don't know why you're shocked or suprised. CarMax is in business to make money, not lose money. As they say, "If you don't like my price you're free to go shop somewhere else." You might get lucky and find someone willing to buy your car in the low $60s... maybe. But I imagine such an offer would most likely be contingent upon trade-in at a dealer and you buying another car from them. That way they can play with the numbers more.

It remains to be seen where the bottom of depreciation curve is for Quadrifoglios. But I'm going to guess it's in the mid $30k range for average cars in average condition, although I'm sure you'll be able to find beat/broken/crashed examples in the teens or twenties. The only question is how quickly it gets there and how long it stays there.

·
Registered
630 Posts
So with that said you could most likely retail the car for around 63k to 65K witch is about right.
Yeah, I just don't see most people willing to pay retail prices for used cars sold by private parties. Retail pricing is usually reserved for retail establishments. Private party is usually discounted a certain percent from retail. This is for commodities like the Quadrifoglio and doesn't necessarily apply to high-end collector cars where many of the best cars never come on the market and instead trade hands privately.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Not the least bit surprised. That is CarMax's M.O. They low ball every car that is brought to them for an estimate. I've gone to them a handful of times over the years just to get a number on a car, and it's always the same.
I've always done substantially better using the car as a trade in (which also brings tax savings), and of course you can do even better than that if you want to sell it yourself.

·
Registered
630 Posts
In my experience each CarMax is a little bit different. They don’t lowball all cars all the time. They do know better than most what sells in their area the quickest and for the most profit margin and they make offers to buy used cars accordingly. CarMax usually isn’t the best venue for “specialty interest vehicles.” Although sometimes they do have some gems. They got wise with cars like the Range Rover money pit Doug DeMuro bought from them.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Not the least bit surprised. That is CarMax's M.O. They low ball every car that is brought to them for an estimate. I've gone to them a handful of times over the years just to get a number on a car, and it's always the same.
I've always done substantially better using the car as a trade in (which also brings tax savings), and of course you can do even better than that if you want to sell it yourself.
Interesting, not my experience. Two of my last 5 trades had a CarMax offer that topped the dealer offers, the last time by over $3,000 (~19k vs 16k). I think the biggest factor is demand. Best offers (from CarMax) were for two Honda’s, both in demand and well equipped. The Abarth was lowballed, they didn’t want it...the luxury SUV was offered comparable with the dealers, the older Acura too. I suspect that CarMax doesn’t know how the Alfa story will play out and wants to stay clear, unless they can turn the vehicle to a dealer or auction for a sure few thousand dollars.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts