Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wiring failure in a BMW 3 Series - a recall issue?
My car has been inoperable for two weeks now. I had a total power failure. RAC and local garage tested battery etc. - all normal. Once stripped back it transpires that the connection between the positive battery cable connector and the corresponding terminal on the fuse box has failed and there is evidence that the plastic covering has been burning.

I am now having it lorried to BMW dealership for them to look at . I note on numerous sites and forums that a significant number of people have battery power failure in their BMWs, and that when tested the battery appears OK.

I also note that this is a problem that has caused BMW to recall 500k+ in US and Canada, and recently in the UK for 5/6 series.

BMW UK is saying that as there is no recall for 3 series I will have to pay for the cable to be replaced. I think that this is a recall issue for the UK 3 series as well?

If I had been driving at 70mph on motorway I would be dead now as wheels completely lock.

How do I proceed with insisting that BMW take this seriously as a manufacturing fault and that they should be replacing this part in a relatively new car FOC

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
'08 Montego Blue 335i
symptoms of thermostat failure
Can anybody tell me what the symptoms are of a thermostat failure? Curious to know as there seems to be some talk about the thermostat eveyr now and again. What I mostly read is that it fails open/closed. Can someone explain exactly what they means?

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BMW e46 3 Series Cooling System Failure

One of the most serious problems in any vehicle is an overheated engine. It can cause a myriad of expensive and dangerous problems if not quickly addressed. Unfortunately, the cooling system in the BMW e46 3 series has been known to fail, often around the 60,000 mile mark. This popular series of BMW’s was produced from 1999-2006, so the majority of these vehicles are now past that milestone or could be reaching it shortly.

The first and most obvious sign that your e46 cooling system could be failing is that your temperature gauge consistently shows that it is “running hot.” If this occurs, take it to an independent, qualified BMW technician at your earliest convenience to prevent any further damage. There are several parts that make up the entire cooling system, such as the water pump, radiator, and thermostat, and if one of these fails it puts the rest of them in danger.

Another signal to listen for would be a high-pitched squealing or metallic grinding. These could be symptoms of other problems, but when paired with high readings on your temperature gauge, chances are it is the e46 cooling system.

The failure of the cooling system is sometimes difficult to diagnose. This is because some vehicles will run hot at low speeds, but cool down when driven at high speeds. In this case the fast air flow over the engine helps cool it down at high speeds, indicating the the engine fan could be broken. If the e46 is hot at high speeds, then it might be a problem with the transfer of coolant to the radiator. And if the car gets hot just when idling, a thermostat could be at fault. With so many possible causes, it is important to find a qualified BMW technician to resolve the problem.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BMW Settles Lawsuit, Will Repair 3-Series Cars with Subframe Damage

BMW Settles Lawsuit, Will Repair 3-Series Cars with Subframe Damage. ... Motor Trend explains, "The suit originated in 2006 and claimed that defects in E46 3 Series models cause fractures in the rear-axle supports in the subframe. Symptoms include clunking from the rear and outright subframe failure."Jun 19, 2009

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Want more ?

Should I continue.....?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,462 Posts
Whassis doin' in an Alfa Romeo Giulia forum?

Reactions: Max

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Waiting for BMW908

I'm just waiting for BMW908 to rip into BMW for their substandard quality and response to their consumers problems with the dangerous 3 series that they have "dumped" on these shores....:grin2:

·
Banned
264 Posts
wow, now all he had to say is that other cars have the same problems...best you can do is 1989-2006 bmw issues? really? not to bright are ya?
note , that alfa guilia sales are a FRACTION of bmw sales...the failure rate here is MUCH higher...they have 8-10k total giulias on the road if that...you have a few hundred members here and LOTS of failures....what a joke of a car...thank god its a lease.

·
Banned
264 Posts
I'm just waiting for BMW908 to rip into BMW for their substandard quality and response to their consumers problems with the dangerous 3 series that they have "dumped" on these shores....:grin2:
wow, now all you have to say is that other cars have the same problems...best you can do is 1989-2006 bmw issues? really? not to bright are ya?
note , that alfa guilia sales are a FRACTION of bmw sales...the failure rate here is MUCH higher...they have 8-10k total giulias on the road if that...you have a few hundred members here and LOTS of failures....what a joke of a car...thank god its a lease.
For the record, I would never buy a BMW - I hate the exterior and really hate the interior of those cars...yuk

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"not to bright are ya?".....

"The trappings of a classic education give me pause when I elucidate spelling and grammatical errors....the written word is sacred and when it is bastardized....I merely have to accept that not all who can publish can complete their neuronal synapses".....CG Jung....

·
Banned
264 Posts
"not to bright are ya?".....

"The trappings of a classic education give me pause when I elucidate spelling and grammatical errors....the written word is sacred and when it is bastardized....I merely have to accept that not all who can publish can complete their neuronal synapses".....CG Jung....
yes, wow, caught a spelling error, you win, alfa is a great car, not...I proof read my work on a daily basis, not going to waste time doing it on my cell when I respond to a mere dentist.
The fact that all you have to grasp on is a spelling error points to your inability to articulate a valid response. Exactly what I expected from a pompous dentist.
To waste more or your time, you better make sure you dont have a single typo in any of your posts, or ill be all over it...enjoy.

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
yes, wow, caught a spelling error, you win, alfa is a great car, not...I proof read my work on a daily basis, not going to waste time doing it on my cell when I respond to a mere dentist.
The fact that all you have to grasp on is a spelling error points to your inability to articulate a valid response. Exactly what I expected from a pompous dentist.
To waste more or your time, you better make sure you dont have a single typo in any of your posts, or ill be all over it...enjoy.
Ya might want to check your apostrophe key. There's probably another forum on which to discuss contraction issues.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
....to add to my pomposity, among my many degrees and accomplishments, my spelling is always impeccable......See you tomorrow....Bell Audi...between 1 and 1:30...I'll email you to confirm...Pictures to be posted....it will be a love fest....

Reactions: Dr. Klopek

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
it's actually kind of amusing, once you get over it.
the radiator on a 1995 era 3 series is a replace every 60,000 miles maintenance item (yes, I know if you have a stickshift you can put in an M unit, which doesn't have plastic sides, or something like that, I forget the exact details).

the 2008 3 series has the electric thermostat and water pump, inconveniently located, so that when one fails at about 60,000, you might as well replace both - and it costs double replacing the radiator on the older one.

I wouldn't call it a design defect, just an enhanced maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
it's actually kind of amusing, once you get over it.
the radiator on a 1995 era 3 series is a replace every 60,000 miles maintenance item (yes, I know if you have a stickshift you can put in an M unit, which doesn't have plastic sides, or something like that, I forget the exact details).

the 2008 3 series has the electric thermostat and water pump, inconveniently located, so that when one fails at about 60,000, you might as well replace both - and it costs double replacing the radiator on the older one.

I wouldn't call it a design defect, just an enhanced maintenance schedule.
....repeat after me...."UBERQUALITY".....!!!!

·
Registered
7,462 Posts
yes, wow, caught a spelling error, you win.
Really not that difficult. My browser highlights them. So it's more a matter of caring enough to correct. Do you?

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Banned
264 Posts
Really not that difficult. My browser highlights them. So it's more a matter of caring enough to correct. Do you?
actually he was not referring to the ya (which is NOT highlighted by the browser) but to the "to" (which is also NOT highlighted) but you are "too" dumb to understand that even with enough time to review...

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
actually he was not referring to the ya (which is NOT highlighted by the browser) but to the "to" (which is also NOT highlighted) but you are "too" dumb to understand that even with enough time to review...
...now now...boys...he didn't originally post it...now did he..?

And let's not forget about the "apostrophe"....Bell Audi...1:00 - 1:30...we'll pose next to one of those new hatchback A 5's.....

·
Registered
7,462 Posts

·
Banned
264 Posts
....to add to my pomposity, among my many degrees and accomplishments, my spelling is always impeccable......See you tomorrow....Bell Audi...between 1 and 1:30...I'll email you to confirm...Pictures to be posted....it will be a love fest....
Doubt you will show..there will be some excuse...I will not be posing for any photos..
Just there to prove you wrong and laugh at you...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.