Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now leased my second Ti a 2020 special ordered before the pandemic. Same color blue with brown interior, no S/R and no GPS .As the forum member that started the thread "Anyone not having problems" before getting my first Giulia I had very few problems all where minor and most seemed to resolve on there own. As an example the auto start/stop, stopped working and right after I made an appointment to service it, it resolved on its own. Same with the collision warning which tripped an error light then disappeared . When it came time for a new car there was and still is nothing on the market to compare with the Alfa. Driving it is special and even after two years has not grown old. All the other cars that I drove from the A4 to Genesis are nice competent but not special. So what is different? The most noticeable thing is the steering it is not as fast as the 2018 Still great just not as go karty and I kind of miss the old feel. Infotainment system is much better although I still would have bought it if it had been left untouched.So, until there is something more compelling to drive I am pretty sure that my next car will be an Alfa

·
Registered
3 Posts
so you are saying they may have changed the quick steering ratio? that's ashamed I love the quick response of my 2018, reminds me of an old school M3

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yes, I just changed from a 2018 to 2020 also, and I believe they changed something about the steering. It’s definitely not as quick as it was before. I prefer the the 2018 version myself.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have a 2019 and recently drove friend’s 2020. There is a definite change in steering response. 2019 is better! Both are better than any current sport sedan.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just turned my 2017 lease in for a 2020 on Friday. I did not want to part with the 2017 but the new car saves me money.

Obviously the revamped infotainment is the biggest difference, but what was also immediately noticeable is the thicker steering wheel and the cabin seems to be quieter - the engine and exhaust are less audible. I prefered the 2017 in both regards. I cannot say I have noticed any difference in the steering response.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,713 Posts
That’s strange, because they added electronically enhanced exhaust sounds via the center dash speaker for MY20.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well that’s disappointing to hear. No pun intended.

After more scrutiny on my commute home, I can’t say that I feel like the steering ratio changed since my 2017 car but it might feel slightly stiffer.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
5,832 Posts
I think it may have something to do with the new lane departure warning system (steering wheel shaker).

Reactions: kshitishsoman

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
They were rumored to have removed (or reduced) the anti-ackerman geometry. I imagine this could make the steering feel slower. Also, I have personally found a fat wheel (e.g BMW) also gives that slower sensation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Before I purchased my '20, I test drove a 2018. It definitely has a noticeably different steering response. I would say that the brakes are less grabby on the '20 as well. I had the car in for a headlamp adjustment (which they didn't resolve) and the dealer provided another '18 as a loaner. Immediately I again noticed the difference.
In my opinion, neither is really better because they are both great. Just different.

Seriously, this is the most satisfying car I've ever had the pleasure of driving. It's as much fun on a 3-4 hour drive as it is around home. I think that is an outstanding accomplishment for any vehicle.

·
Registered
461 Posts
0, I test drove a 2018. It definitely has a noticeably different steering response. I would say that the brakes are less grabby on the '20 as well. I had the car in for a headlamp adjustment (which they didn't resolve) and the dealer provided another '18 as a loaner. Immediately I again noticed the difference.
In my opinion, neither is really better because they are both great. Just different.
I concur about the brakes. Smoother on the 2020 than my previous 2017.

I posted this in a different thread but in low speed, sharp turning the front tires do not skip/drag like they used to. So something did change with the steering geometry. Still drives great, though.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe there steering was changed (slower) to accommodate the lane keep assist I could be wrong either way the steering is different.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Other than the brakes and steering conversations, a few other changes from '17 to '20 in case anyone else has a lease ending like I did...

Infotaiment is obviously completely revamped, the blinker is quieter, the car rides quieter, and the driver seat sliding back can be turned off.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Issue in the early years was definitely the hydraulic breaks have a weird feel and are too grabby. And the infotainment is meh.

Would not want slower steering or giant uncovered cupholders though

Reactions: Dr. Klopek

·
Registered
273 Posts
Can the active cruise control be disabled without disabling the regular cruise on the 2020 Giulia ? My wife's car has that feature and I find the active cruise annoying when on multiple lanes and someone in a different lane decides to change lane to go around the car in front of them and it causes your vehicle to decelerate by 5 mph or so and then resume to your set speed again, only to happen again just a little further up the road. Arghh !

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
If in fact the brake by wire set-up was changed to provide smoother stopping, was this done with hardware (different calipers, or pad lining material ?) or software? If it was a software change, perhaps the 17-19 models could be updated. That would be nice, and easy.

Reactions: Meegs
1 - 18 of 18 Posts