Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Earlier today I was showing my friend all of the parameters that you can see and change on multiecuscan, I stepped away for a phone call and when I came back he thought it would’ve been a funny prank to raise my mileage, though he didn’t read the fine print. Now I am stuck with my mileage a 10,000 miles higher than actual, and my car is a lease. Is there any way to set the mileage back, or reset to true mileage? I’m not sure if this just programs the cluster or the ecu, or if I will have to replace some hardware in order to get it back. I got an oil change last week that could prove the true mileage, though I am worried the dealer will void my warranty due to this if I take it in.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Alex

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow. Don't know how to fix but how did your friend respond? If unable to set back, your friend might be liable for the mileage overage?
I was upset, it was a childish prank, and the level of ignorance not reading the obviously placed message hurts my brain to think about, he doesn’t know much about cars, but knows a lot about computers so when he explained himself I understood how he made the mistake and didn’t think it would be permanent. He isn’t really in a situation to be able to put anything forward so sadly I’m going to have to eat the cost if any for now :/

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was upset, it was a childish prank, and the level of ignorance not reading the obviously placed message hurts my brain to think about, he doesn’t know much about cars, but knows a lot about computers so when he explained himself I understood how he made the mistake and didn’t think it would be permanent. He isn’t really in a situation to be able to put anything forward so sadly I’m going to have to eat the cost if any for now :/
Really sorry. Hopefully, someone else here can be more helpful....

·
Registered
121 Posts
Earlier today I was showing my friend all of the parameters that you can see and change on multiecuscan, I stepped away for a phone call and when I came back he thought it would’ve been a funny prank to raise my mileage, though he didn’t read the fine print. Now I am stuck with my mileage a 10,000 miles higher than actual, and my car is a lease. Is there any way to set the mileage back, or reset to true mileage? I’m not sure if this just programs the cluster or the ecu, or if I will have to replace some hardware in order to get it back. I got an oil change last week that could prove the true mileage, though I am worried the dealer will void my warranty due to this if I take it in.. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Alex
Have your friend pay you 20 cents per mile from what it was. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
56 Posts
A friend of mine did the same mistake on his Giulietta few years ago, unfortunately he couldn't find way to fix it (at least not a cheap way)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
It's the same for all modern Alfa's, the odometer can only be increased, not decreased, as you've found out :(
The only ? way round it on previous alfa's was to get a new dashboard, either 2nd hand with lower mileage, or new, and set that to the correct mileage.
There are also companies who can reset the existing dash, after removing it ....
In principle the mileage is stored in 2 locations independantly, the dash odometer and the engine ECU. So in principle the engine ecu should still have the correct mileage, however, the only way to read this is via the OBD

·
Registered
55 Posts
MES and other regular diagnostic equipment is able to increase mileage but not decrease for obvious reasons. To revert it back is not in scope of ordinary user and most often need expensive equipment.
If it's matter of life and death as jwq2 said you have couple options: look for someone who work in dash correction field, new dash, used dash with lower or equal mileage to your original.
Also not 100% sure but usually there is mileage sync among modules so engine ECU could already sync it's mileage to new one from dash.

PS Nice friend you got :D

·
Registered
620 Posts
I had a faulty dash cluster that went back at about 15k miles. Dealer replaced the cluster and then synced the ECU to the new cluster and it read the correct mileage. Question is where does MES change the mileage. Is it the ECU or the dash? You could email MES support and ask them on the forum or help. I would think a competent dealer with Witech 2 could reset it perhaps? Why not call your dealer and ask them? Explain what happened. There will be a charge ofcourse.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I would think a competent dealer with Witech 2 could reset it perhaps? Why not call your dealer and ask them? Explain what happened. There will be a charge of course.
AFAIK we have no access to change mileage in the cluster or anywhere else that is used to report mileage to the cluster.... ....we can change it in the PCM but that is only for fueling purposes on a new engine or for matching mileage to a replacement PCM.... ....but again, PCM mileage is meaningless when it comes to what is shown on the cluster , which is why I asked what is shown in the cluster on the OP's car......Im very surprised that the MES can actually change displayed mileage.....that is a big no no .

·
Vendor
1,881 Posts
I had a faulty dash cluster that went back at about 15k miles. Dealer replaced the cluster and then synced the ECU to the new cluster and it read the correct mileage. Question is where does MES change the mileage. Is it the ECU or the dash? You could email MES support and ask them on the forum or help. I would think a competent dealer with Witech 2 could reset it perhaps? Why not call your dealer and ask them? Explain what happened. There will be a charge ofcourse.
Serious pickle here. Try the dealer. It's your only hope. Be honest, say you made a mistake and your mileage jumped 10K miles. I am sure they can look up the change on witech. Pay them whatever it takes to fix it, charge your idiot friend.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Mes only changes the dash....
Don't think you can even change the ECU one, except by replacing it for a new one (or possibly re-programming the ECU)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts