Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there

iv just done a straight pipe muffler delete on my 2017 2.0 280hp Giula 2017, first impression is that it’s really loud especially on a cold start, it bellows and the cabin noise is unbearable, once warmed up it quiets down but still loud. Makes nice noises when driveing to a passer by sounds like it’s broken and the exhaust is hanging off.

I’m a little confused as lots of people say the Giula is quiet with a muffler delete and some even delete the resonator and Cat too, Im not sure why mine is so loud, is this possibly because mine is a pre
GPF model, which I guess like a diesal DPF a sort of acts like a muffler too, this might explain why some people can live ok with it, any ideas?

Iv also read the car relearns over time, is there any chance this will get better over time and quiet down.

The fabrication uses the original pipe from center section with kink in pipe and it bypasses the diff etc, then Y pipe to exits, don’t see a problem with the exhaust per say, I brought it second hand.

Has anyone had the same issue please and was there a solution other than return to stock, or buy another system such as Remus etc,

thanks in advance

Mike

· Registered
252 Posts
Lots of info on the forums. I researched this 3 years ago when I got the car, and came to the conclusion that a muffler delete made the car sounds pretty crappy. I would never be able to put up with the drone.

I have seen some people dynamat their trunk, also make sure your exhaust tips are connected securely and making past the rear diffuser.

Past that, put OEM back on, or upgrade to a aftermarket exhaust.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lots of info on the forums. I researched this 3 years ago when I got the car, and came to the conclusion that a muffler delete made the car sounds pretty crappy. I would never be able to put up with the drone.

I have seen some people dynamat their trunk, also make sure your exhaust tips are connected securely and making past the rear diffuser.

Past that, put OEM back on, or upgrade to a aftermarket exhaust.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks bud, it sounds like a big fart on cold starts, I’m just confused why soo many people have done it on the forums, maybe it’s because they have GPF.

Anyway I thought I might be able to install two small mufflers on each Y section if i can find the right ones, or maybe just 1 and a diverter value or the 2nd may give the best of both worlds, should improve but maybe still a little loud

thanks

Mike

· Registered
2017 Giulia Q4
320 Posts
I did a Remus axle back/muffler version and a resonator delete, perfect sound overall, SuperSprint is the best sound for the 2.0 but thats just my .02

I was going to go the 2k SuperSprint but then this Remus popped up for 400 shipped new and could not pass it up

· Registered
2,471 Posts
On cold start the PCM varies the valve timing and mixture to bring the cat converter up to temp faster. This influences the exhaust note. As for the drone, it is important that the exhaust tail pipes extend well into the false tips, otherwise you will have drone. Also, there are other ways to control drone with an odd add-on side pipe gizmo. Search this forum for info.

Reactions: mikephounsome

· Registered
785 Posts
Hi there

iv just done a straight pipe muffler delete on my 2017 2.0 280hp Giula 2017, first impression is that it’s really loud especially on a cold start, it bellows and the cabin noise is unbearable, once warmed up it quiets down but still loud. Makes nice noises when driveing to a passer by sounds like it’s broken and the exhaust is hanging off.

I’m a little confused as lots of people say the Giula is quiet with a muffler delete and some even delete the resonator and Cat too, Im not sure why mine is so loud, is this possibly because mine is a pre
GPF model, which I guess like a diesal DPF a sort of acts like a muffler too, this might explain why some people can live ok with it, any ideas?

Iv also read the car relearns over time, is there any chance this will get better over time and quiet down.

The fabrication uses the original pipe from center section with kink in pipe and it bypasses the diff etc, then Y pipe to exits, don’t see a problem with the exhaust per say, I brought it second hand.

Has anyone had the same issue please and was there a solution other than return to stock, or buy another system such as Remus etc,

thanks in advance

Mike
Straight pipe makes the car sound terrible and most aftermarket exhaust sound terrible too. If you go aftermarket go with the quietest performance exhaust and you should be fine.
Stay away from anything that has no resonator or says "race".

· Registered
43 Posts
Why people remove the muffler on a 2.0L engine and expect it to sound good is beyond me.

To each their own I suppose. :unsure:

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did a Remus axle back/muffler version and a resonator delete, perfect sound overall, SuperSprint is the best sound for the 2.0 but thats just my .02

I was going to go the 2k SuperSprint but then this Remus popped up for 400 shipped new and could not pass it up
Why people remove the muffler on a 2.0L engine and expect it to sound good is beyond me.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

there seem to be some very mixed reviews for muffler delete, lots of people say they are quiet and do the Res also, I’m thinking the mixed reviews may be due to different exhaust configurations, post 2018 all have a GPF, which I guess like a DPF acts like a muffler also just a guess.
I brought the muffler delete/straight pipe cheap from a guy on Facebook so thought I’d give them a try, admittly it does sound amazing when driving hard, you can hear soo more, gear change blips etc adds to the drama, i Just can’t live with it day-to-day, going to see if I can get two barrel silencers fitted on each exit pipe and try andmake it good. Now iv experienced it I rather not go back to fully stock

· Registered
252 Posts
there seem to be some very mixed reviews for muffler delete, lots of people say they are quiet and do the Res also, I’m thinking the mixed reviews may be due to different exhaust configurations, post 2018 all have a GPF, which I guess like a DPF acts like a muffler also just a guess.
I brought the muffler delete/straight pipe cheap from a guy on Facebook so thought I’d give them a try, admittly it does sound amazing when driving hard, you can hear soo more, gear change blips etc adds to the drama, i Just can’t live with it day-to-day, going to see if I can get two barrel silencers fitted on each exit pipe and try andmake it good. Now iv experienced it I rather not go back to fully stock
I understand your logic, I was very close to deleting my muffler… I ultimately decided I kinda like the sound of it stock, and I added a BMS intake for more turbo hisses and garbles. I’m always keeping an eye out for a used aftermarket one on the forums :).

· Registered
7 Posts
I too did a muffler delete on my 2017 Ti. At first, I liked it, especially with a tune that gave me pops and bangs. However, as you said, eventually it becoming annoying and unbearable. It's non-stop just loud and obnoxious, just cruising down the highway at 60-70MPH is awful. I had the muffler delete for about a year, before getting my QV, and it did not get quieter or better. I would definitely not recommend doing a muffler delete on the Ti, if it's you're daily.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi All,

I've been to the exhaust shop who say they can fit a universal hi-flow performance duplex style muffler and have given me some options of either 16, 18 or 20in which are approx. 10in width X 4in depth.

All should provide a deeper, raspier tone and i asked which one he would recommend and he said the 16in, i know the 2.0 is quieter when straight-through even compared to other cars, but I don't want it to be too loud or too quiet.

Can I ask what dimensions other peoples performance mufflers are please as the size may give me an indication or comparison of the sound level compared with what exhaust manufactures use?

This is all a little experimental and appreciate your feedback

Thanks All

Mike

Attachments

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand your logic, I was very close to deleting my muffler… I ultimately decided I kinda like the sound of it stock, and I added a BMS intake for more turbo hisses and garbles. I’m always keeping an eye out for a used aftermarket one on the forums :).
Off the shelf exhausts are expensive, even the Remus Sports backbox is £600 in the UK, if you find a exhaust shop they can swap out the muffler with a universal sports box much cheaper, I'm getting this done in 2 weeks on my straight-though system for £200 all-in, it is a litttle experimental.

It should give it a deeper raspier tone, now iv driven it straight-through i don't want to go back to standard, its rewarding listening to all the noises and you can hear the turbo/induction better also, it is too loud hence adding a 16in duplex style muffler to make it liveable

goodluck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts