Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys (especially those who have experience getting an exhaust fabricated)..

Did any of you that got a muffler delete get mandrel bends with your new piping?

A reputable shop in town has quoted me --

$150 rear section (just axle back). Rear section with mandrel bends - $350 .

If I wanted to add the mid/center pipe (resonator delete)- Mid section $200, mid-pipe with mandrel bends - $400 .

He also told me that getting the new center pipe would be a waste of money, that I should keep the resonator and stock center pipe. I've read about the benefits of mandrel bends in the exhaust -- but he also said mandrel bends would be a waste of money, that they won't make a difference. He said the whole job is pretty much just a sound thing, that I won't see any extra power. (Which I thought I might get a couple HP/TQ removing the restrictive muffler?..)

What did you guys do? Just delete the muffler or did you do a full cat-back?

Also, did you elect to get mandrel bends? Anyone else who wants to chime in, please do!!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
OK, mandrel bends would restrict slightly less.

Deleting the rear section keeps the crimp between the cats and the resonator, and likely makes less power improvement...but may also negate much of the drone that occurs with a full system.

More power, possibly...more noise, certainly.

If the goal is power, mandel and complete, period...but expect drone...however, the system will then play nicely with any intake or programming changes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I went with muffler delete behind the rear axel but left everything in front of that the same. Don't think they did mandrel bends or anything fancy as it was never presented as an option. Ultimately, I would have declined anyways as I would be very sceptical of any actual power gains. For what it's worth, I don't notice any seat of the pants gains after the delete but I'm not loosing sleep as I did it for the sound benefit and didn't expect HP gain.

Everyone has their own preference, but I would really caution on doing the resonator delete to be honest...

·
Vendor
1,195 Posts
Hey guys (especially those who have experience getting an exhaust fabricated)..

Did any of you that got a muffler delete get mandrel bends with your new piping?

A reputable shop in town has quoted me --

$150 rear section (just axle back). Rear section with mandrel bends - $350 .

If I wanted to add the mid/center pipe (resonator delete)- Mid section $200, mid-pipe with mandrel bends - $400 .

He also told me that getting the new center pipe would be a waste of money, that I should keep the resonator and stock center pipe. I've read about the benefits of mandrel bends in the exhaust -- but he also said mandrel bends would be a waste of money, that they won't make a difference. He said the whole job is pretty much just a sound thing, that I won't see any extra power. (Which I thought I might get a couple HP/TQ removing the restrictive muffler?..)

What did you guys do? Just delete the muffler or did you do a full cat-back?

Also, did you elect to get mandrel bends? Anyone else who wants to chime in, please do!!

Since we deal with Giulia exhaust on a daily basis and exhausts for numerous other cars lets see if we can't help you out here.

First, exhaust mods on these cars will not net you much in terms of horsepower gains. You might see a couple more ponies but it is not something you will ever feel sitting in the driver's seat. Real gains come from electronic tuning. That fact alone tends to make this type of mod simply an audio sensory modification. By deleting the muffler you will get a much deeper sounding exhaust. We did something similar to our own Giulia and it sounds amazing. If you go one step further and delete the resonator you go from loud to very loud. We did that to our Stelvio and at times it almost sounds like a full race prepped car is driving by the shop.

If you are local feel free to stop by and we'll give you a demo. We could also send you some sound clips of the two setups.

Let us know if you have any other questions

1 - 4 of 4 Posts