Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Mud flaps/guards

51K views 113 replies 30 participants last post by  Nummeister 
#1 ·
Hi

Has anyone put on mud guards?

I'm thinking of getting some but would love some advice first.

#16 ·
After the recent rains here the rear end of my wife's Giulia looks like it really needs these mud flaps. (I'll save you the pain of a dirty Giulia rear end)! The site I noted is a UK dealership of some sort. They responded very quickly and I can now see the link where they do ship to the US, but most likely cost prohibitive.

Haven't checked with the local dealer whether this part can be ordered or not. (May do so when I get the chance...)

#20 ·
Guys, I have made several pairs for my Miata over the years. They used to be easy to do with the fender designs of the past. You can use trash can vinyl and match the peg holes to the fender liner holes and make what you want. But now, the fenders of the Giulia are thin edged, "cowling" style and the liner pegs in the well will require some brackets or adhesive tape style mounting. Not sure how the Mopar ones will work but once we get pictures we'll have a better idea. I suggest using clear gloss plastidip on the body in the mean time. Also, the Quad has a small aero/stone chip slat above the rear wheels. Not sure how that is mounted but may play into things for the Quad. I have the clear wrap done already but that doesn't stop the mud and salt spray from landing there.

I also noticed one of the bumper tabs inside the exhaust cavity was not tucked in properly. It's small about 1/4 inch but I will reset it when I work on the Forza Componenti exhaust controller in the spring. Just arrived today ;) Washed her myself for the first time Saturday.

Attachments

Reactions: Alfaholico
#22 ·
Only 200 miles so far! Suspension needs to settle, and it is on a compound angle up hill and then down towards camera.

Reactions: Max
#23 ·
I went ahead and ordered the mopar splash guards. Shipping was $20 ground!! I know macgeek said this was for the standard rear bumper, and I believe him, but I ordered them anyway. The mopar site says nothing about what trims it does/n’t fit. I doubt they’ll refund shipping cost both ways, but worth a try. Will report back once I get them.

Edit: I have a Ti sport (19” staggered wheels)

#24 ·
Thank you all for the responses!

I'm afraid I don't know which bumper we have, but it's pretty!?!?!? I think it's the standard one because we don't have the fancy looking front....

So on that site they don't request your VIN for verification? There seems to be two part numbers, one the US that Max has found, and an EU one that I found which is rear ONLY. I found it on a different EU accessory catalog that had the part number I listed.

#40 ·
I need to spend more time in the wheel wells to see about this. The front wells on the NB Miata (1999-2005) were easy to work with. I have made 2 pairs and adapted a 3rd from aftermarket universal flaps. You can probably make tabs and fold them adapt them to the "cowling style" and reach the peg holes that you need. But the Mopar flaps look good for the average Giulia rear end. The Quad is a bit different with the diffuser trim but they may still work.

Reactions: Roo and jzchen
#47 ·
For that price I'd pick the butt ugly ones, which include both front and rear. Next owner can remove them and thank me for protecting the splatter areas....

(I must say for 35 GBP that gets you air mail. It notes 1 - 2 days to the USA!)

Thank you guys for the information!!! Here's the accessory catalog where I found the part number for the normal rear only:

http://mopar-original-accessories.s...ssets/common/downloads/GIULIA ACCESSORIES.pdf

#48 ·
Why don't one of you take some newspaper or cardboard and trace up a pattern of the fender liner pegs or other fasteners in the area. Include and folds or tab required to reach them from the fender/rocker/bumper lip and draw up a fastener pattern. We may be able to make modular flaps that have a hard plastic mounting bracket and heavy rubber flap. You can also use generic door mats to make flaps out of rubber. Then they could be assembled with rivets or something. Here are some quick pics. Note the position of the fasteners.

Attachments

Reactions: jzchen
#51 ·
I may take some close up flash photos of my Quad back half of all fender liners. Get an idea of fasteners distances and surface irregularities. The rear bumper has the thinnest lip and I don't easily see any fasteners. I also need to loosen my diffuser to tuck in the bumper tab. I can take pics of all this in my cramped garage ;)

#52 ·
Check this out...a stapled rubber and plastic/FRP well interior splash guard from the Alfetta. I have done this when working with PVC, PVA and others. Now I know it's official ;) We can do this if needed to mate the two materials.

Attachments

#54 ·
Alright, so the mopar mudguards finally arrived yesterday. There’s good news and bad news.

The good:
- they definitely fit my Ti Sport
- they’re plain black; no pattern

The bad:
- there’s only a rear set; no front set
- you have to drill two holes in the side of the car immediately behind the rear wheels. If you ever took these off, two small holes would be visible on either side

I’m still on the fence as to whether I’ll install these. On the one hand, it looks pretty straight forward. On the other, if I mess up somehow while drilling, I’ll never forgive myself.

I still need to wash the car before installing, so I’ve got some time to think it over. In the meantime, here are some pics. Sorry for the weird color in some of them. Happy to answer questions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.