Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is a very good overall take on the cars, at least from a track and perfectly smooth road perspective. Lap times were surprising. Considering the huge advantage (especially on a race course) of the Rosso Corsa tires on the QF, I would have thought it would have been more the 4 tenths faster on such a relatively tight circuit than the M3 Comp pack. On a bigger, more open circuit the QF would probably be a touch slower than an M3 Comp.

I do wish that they would have spent the time to drive the cars on normal roads (i.e. rutted, pot-holed, not baby's butt smooth) to see which is better as a daily driver as well (which probably would have favored the QV from all initial reports). Plus assess things like functionality, practicality (which from their comments it sounds like the M3 would have been the preferred car).

I think the best line of this is how they talk about how this car came out of left field and will shake up the segment. With the new M3 due in like 18-24 months I'm optimistic that BMW will work a little harder to deliver something much better than the current F80 platform car from the get-go. Maybe work on that "driver involvement" thing that they used to do so well.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another interesting thing from the review was the speculation on why the 6MT got scrapped at the last minute before US launch.

Jonny Lieberman went on to guess that it had something to do with crash test failures, specifically the clutch pedal causing too much damage to dummy's foot in US crash tests, or something like that which was specific to the 6MT setup. Going 8AT-only was to quickest solution for a timely launch. Indeed, a few months ago a rumor popped up saying that US Giulia launch was delayed due to crash test issues.

If this was actually the case, I hope Alfa takes the time to fix whatever safety issue they have on the 6MT setup, so at mid-cycle refresh we can have this option (better yet get the Veloce with 6MT!).

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Teaser trailer of the new episode of Ignition, featuring Giulia Quadrifoglio!

Again, full video behind Motor Trend paywall. I've already used up my free trial and I'm too cheap to pay up. Hope it won't be too long before it's put on Youtube.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Spoiler for those who can't view it, the M3 Comp pack was actually a tiny bit faster (like .02 of a second if I recall which is effectively nothing) on this particular track with Randy Pobst behind the wheel but he liked driving the QV more. He thought he was faster in the QV. More intuitive handling to him and he felt immediately confident in the car. He also commented on the "sticky" 60-wear Pirellis and how much grip the car had. I still wonder just how big of a lap time improvement those tires equal. Maybe someone will do a test with equal or near equal tires one day to see what happens, or better yet a back-to-back lap time with the Corsas and then a more street oriented tire (like Pilot SS or equivalent).

·
Registered
5,710 Posts
the QV carries more speed into the corners that are "fast corners" but when you get to bus stop chicanes the M3 ZCP is actually quicker...
tires are a big factor as well, if you want to be correct and do apple to apples....put a set of R888 on the M3 and I suspect she will respond well...
BTW before anyone gets their shorts twisted :) I own a QV and I owned an F80 (1st Gen)...I am very happy with my QV so far....when it makes it to the track in the Spring I will make my final assessment on the car...I will say that as a DD the QV ride is smoother, and I imagine that goes with an M3 ZCP as well.

I have high hopes for the QV

·
Registered
2 Posts
MT also has an Ignition video out where the compare a Giulia (with CCBs and the sport seats) to an M3 Competition on track and find they put down lap times within two hundredths of a second to each other. Randy said that the Giulia felt more confidence inspiring but also put some of that down to the tyres. Either way it's interesting to see two cars with such similar performance.

·
Super Moderator
1,091 Posts
MT also has an Ignition video out where the compare a Giulia (with CCBs and the sport seats) to an M3 Competition on track and find they put down lap times within two hundredths of a second to each other. Randy said that the Giulia felt more confidence inspiring but also put some of that down to the tyres. Either way it's interesting to see two cars with such similar performance.
It is interesting to see the objective and subjective results filtering in from around the world. In most of the performance (all?) instrumented tests, the Quadrifoglio wins.

On paper, the Quadrifoglio is 100lbs heavier than the M3 comp coupes. But, the Alfa has the clear advantage in raw horsepower and torque.

The magazine tests rarely involve actual vehicle weight ratings. An Alfa with the race seats, no tech packages and the ceramic brakes will certainly weigh less than the MT purported 3750-ish pounds. The unladen weight in the owners manual is 3500-ish pounds wet (though they state with 'no optional equipment"). With the race seats and the brakes, the car becomes lighter (options).

I guess what I'm saying is the vid mag rag results are always up for *some* interpretation. We've tried watching the MT video on home theater and paused and brightened the picture to see if the carbon brakes are on the Alfa or not. Tough to tell.

The M3 and Quadrifoglio are very evenly matched. Though, if the manufacturers threw their best options at each car and did instrumented race track testing on:

Long track- Quadrifoglio wins. Horsepower edges over the win given same relative weight of the cars. 100lbs over a 50hp spread is nothing.

Short track- driver's game given equal weight.

--

Another note is that I'd wish some of the testing involved actual boost pressure logging of the motors. It would not be the first time a manufacturer turned over a press car that had a "hot" tune in it.

Splitting hairs obviously :) There is only so much the vloggers can do to entertain and gain viewership.

Last tidbit: Interesting that BMW doesn't issue the car with comp tires at less than 100 treadwear.

·
Registered
576 Posts
the QV carries more speed into the corners that are "fast corners" but when you get to bus stop chicanes the M3 ZCP is actually quicker...
tires are a big factor as well, if you want to be correct and do apple to apples....put a set of R888 on the M3 and I suspect she will respond well...
BTW before anyone gets their shorts twisted :) I own a QV and I owned an F80 (1st Gen)...I am very happy with my QV so far....when it makes it to the track in the Spring I will make my final assessment on the car...I will say that as a DD the QV ride is smoother, and I imagine that goes with an M3 ZCP as well.

I have high hopes for the QV
Absolutely right on the money from my experience so far, but it's only been 80 miles in the QV.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.