Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would start a thread where people could poke a little fun at themselves. What is your most embarrassing moment with your Alfa (or any other car)?

Mine: I stalled my car (manual) on a busy street and it wouldn’t restart despite pressing the start / stop button over and over. After about what seemed liked 5 mins and with a line of cars behind me extending as far as I could see, I got out of the car and walked around it a few times looking at various things in a futile manner. Not seeing anything, I got back in the car and went through the normal start procedure and voila it started right away. I realized that the car would not restart earlier because I had not fastened the seat belt properly and had become unfastened so the car would not restart after it stalled. Duh!

·
Registered
857 Posts
Mine: The second day I had the car I drove it to a local golf club and parked near the clubhouse. Somehow, I accidentally clicked the PANIC button on the key fob. Took me what felt like ages to find the **** button (as I hadn't realized what I did at first)... really embarrassing, as there were people I work with there already. As it turns out, the darn panic button is the largest one on the key fob and therefore the easiest one to hit by mistake, as others on here have also noted. :surprise:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Crashing my 997.2 Turbo during a PCUAE track day at Yas Marina Circuit. I went into the "kink" on the long straight way too hot and lost the back end. I panicked and instinctively - and wrongly - tried to brake my way out of trouble instead of steering and using power. I ended up tapping out my radiators on the barrier. Oops!

I saw it on video later that night and it looked for all the world like I just deliberately drove head on into a wall. Such an embarrassing avoidable accident, but I learned a lot so there is that.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Panic button definitely, turning on the ignition doesn't shut it off like other cars - go figure.:rolleyes:

Actually that's second-most. Intense screeching brakes right at 6-8 mph before a stop... time after time for the first 1500 miles (it even restarted yesterday a few times). That has been true embarrassment with family or friends as passengers and random drivers I creep up on. No matter, I'm probably going to buy a Fiamm air horn to make even more noise.:grin2:

·
Registered
691 Posts
Panic button definitely, turning on the ignition doesn't shut it off like other cars - go figure.:rolleyes:

Actually that's second-most. Intense screeching brakes right at 6-8 mph before a stop... time after time for the first 1500 miles (it even restarted yesterday a few times). That has been true embarrassment with family or friends as passengers and random drivers I creep up on. No matter, I'm probably going to buy a Fiamm air horn to make even more noise.:grin2:
Definitely the brake issue...Mine are doing it at 6K miles, so the dealer is replacing all the rotors/pads under warranty.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Do you guys have the CC brakes? Carbon Ceramic brakes are known to be noisy ;)

·
Registered
691 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
not a car - but first motorcycle National road race, qualifying heat, I forgot to turn the gas on leaving the pits. Made it around the track to the starting grid - and it died - which given the distance didn't really clue me in. So I'm holding up the start of a National race, trying to push start a motorcycle when the gas is turned off.

Alfa - easy, given my time zone, I'm quite confident that I placed my order for the SQ before anyone else in the US, and every frigging day for what, a month now, I've been seeing instagrams and youtubes of dealers across the country announcing arrival of the thing. It doesn't seem that they are being snapped up (only one owner on stelvio forum, nobody bragging/tagging on social media) - but they keep showing/piling up, second shipments at many dealers already.
So I feel like an idiot every day for ordering early - even in CA a dealer is offering all at list, as they don't want "lot jewelry".

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,463 Posts
I thought I would start a thread where people could poke a little fun at themselves. What is your most embarrassing moment with your Alfa (or any other car)?

Mine: I stalled my car (manual) on a busy street and it wouldn’t restart despite pressing the start / stop button over and over. After about what seemed liked 5 mins and with a line of cars behind me extending as far as I could see, I got out of the car and walked around it a few times looking at various things in a futile manner. Not seeing anything, I got back in the car and went through the normal start procedure and voila it started right away. I realized that the car would not restart earlier because I had not fastened the seat belt properly and had become unfastened so the car would not restart after it stalled. Duh!
Do cars have seat belt starter interlock in Switzerland? We had it in the US in 1974. Yes, only one year.

Glad you got going again, with embarrassment the only suffering.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
My louder (but no faster) SAAB 900 after its exhaust system rusted and developed a hole.

Oh, and my rollaway SAAB 9000 after I failed to leave it in gear with the parking brake applied.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I angrily cut off a truck driver that was driving way too slow in the left lane but then had to immediately come to a stop at a red light. Truck had to slam on the brakes to avoid slamming into me and so he was already not too happy with me. But what makes it worse, when the light turn green I hit the gas and nothing! The car was in park (not too sure how that happened but I probably hit the P inadvertently). Now I'm frantically trying to get the car back into Drive with an increasingly angry trucker honking at me. Had to pull it in...REMEMBER TO PUT MY FOOT ON THE BRAKE...then into Drive it goes and I and take off like a bat out of ****. I chalk it up to still trying to get used to the automatic.

Reactions: Brad-ISF

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Do cars have seat belt starter interlock in Switzerland? We had it in the US in 1974. Yes, only one year.

Glad you got going again, with embarrassment the only suffering.
If seat belt starter interlock means it won’t start unless the seat belt in fastened then yeah we have that here. ?. Also no rear centre seat belt in the QV.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have another one. Years ago I had a 69 Triumph GT6 with triple weber carbs and a 6 into 1 header. A mustang pulls up to me at a light and gives me the look. I couldn’t refuse the challenge (ok I could but I was a teenager). Anyways light turns green. I floor it and bang. Sounded like a cannon going off. Turns out my differential exploded. Tore a hole in the casing. Sad part is that I decided to restore the car after that and took it all apart. Ended up going to university and left the car in pieces in my parents garage. They moved and gave the car or its bits and pieces to the neighbour. Loved that car.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
If seat belt starter interlock means it won’t start unless the seat belt in fastened then yeah we have that here.
Interesting. Do you know whether that rule is specific to Switzerland or throughout Europe?

I've never driven in Switzerland but have ridden in taxis there. I appreciated the availability of seat belts, which wasn't the case back in the day in NYC.

·
Registered
7,463 Posts
It's Friday, so I gotta share another one.

I was at a carwash (Jax on Orchard Lake Road, for you Detroit-area folks), walking along watching my Taurus SHO through the windows. A Lexus LS400 was behind it, and its owner barreled past me yakking on her cell phone and mindless of the hazard her big purse posed (perhaps because of the almost equally large sunglasses she was wearing. A few seconds later her trunklid pops open, and the contents of her trunk started geting soaked. I almost hurt myself trying not to get caught laughing. But I could only restrain myself so much, and she heard me guffawing and spun around . Her over-the-top reaction when she realized I wasn't laughing at her was the last straw, and I about doubled over. Then I was the subject of her ire. "Why don't you DO SOMETHING?", she shrieked. So I did. I pointed at the red stop button that I knew didn't work and was too high for her to reach. I walked on after she started trying to hit it with that purse.

·
Registered
443 Posts
It's Friday, so I gotta share another one.

I was at a carwash (Jax on Orchard Lake Road, for you Detroit-area folks), walking along watching my Taurus SHO through the windows. A Lexus LS400 was behind it, and its owner barreled past me yakking on her cell phone and mindless of the hazard her big purse posed (perhaps because of the almost equally large sunglasses she was wearing. A few seconds later her trunklid pops open, and the contents of her trunk started geting soaked. I almost hurt myself trying not to get caught laughing. But I could only restrain myself so much, and she heard me guffawing and spun around . Her over-the-top reaction when she realized I wasn't laughing at her was the last straw, and I about doubled over. Then I was the subject of her ire. "Why don't you DO SOMETHING?", she shrieked. So I did. I pointed at the red stop button that I knew didn't work and was too high for her to reach. I walked on after she started trying to hit it with that purse.
You got me laughing out loud in the airport with this one!

·
Registered
443 Posts
It’s just a joke. Don’t be so thin skinned. Man, you’d never make it over the BMW boards, if you think we’re harassing you.

Everybody, including me, is very reasonable over here, but your overly dramatic start/stop, no Park post and subsequent letter to the NHTSA over not following proper (standard) operating procedures was a bit over the top.
This is a warm and cuddly place compared to 99.99% of automotive forums.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts