Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the office closed on a Wednesday for some staff training, so I decided to take the Alfa for a drive. Leaves hadn’t changed yet but the roads were relatively empty. One aspect of this car that gets overlooked is the dual nature of how it behaves. In N or even D, the car is very easy and relaxed to drive on boring congested roads. But once switched to RACE, it really becomes an entirely different animal. It’s quite a special car.
I had a benign 45 minute drive to the good stuff and the car performed magnificently. I even drove at 75 mph and unbelievably had no problems! Once I got to the driving roads, I switched over to the fun mode and let her rip!! This car is so much fun to lean on and it never gives any unnerving feedback. Just more more more!
I only wish I could do this everyday...

Sorry for the poor lighting on some of the pics. Did what I could.
Last pic is looking down at West Point Academy.

My advice: go buy one immediately!! You won’t regret it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Beautiful!
Bring her to LRP next year and you will have even more fun!

Reactions: FNM

·
Registered
261 Posts
One aspect of this car that gets overlooked is the dual nature of how it behaves. In N or even D, the car is very easy and relaxed to drive on boring congested roads. But once switched to RACE, it really becomes an entirely different animal. It?s quite a special car.
Quite special indeed. I notice you didn't say anything about "A" mode. :) There are clear distinctions between all the modes, and it's really like I have 4 different cars. But who would drive a Quadrifoglio in "A" mode, right? Well, I've found that "A" is particularly good in stop-and -go traffic because the braking at slow speeds is much more gentle than the other modes, which tend to be jerky, as others have noted. And even in "A", if you really punch the gas, you can get pretty good acceleration.

As for my typical morning drive, I like to head south on 280, take the Woodside exit and head west, then take Kings Mountain and have fun on all the twisties and hairpins up to Skyline. If I'm short on time, I head south on Skyline to 92, then bact to civilization, and home. But if I have more time, then I cross Skyline and continue with the twisties on Tunitas Creek all the way down to Hwy 1, then to the 92 for a nice long loop.

Reactions: lockem

·
Registered
554 Posts
Beautiful pictures OP. It really is a treat to just go for a drive to nowhere.

I've only been in A mode once, when it was pouring rain and the stock Pirellis were nice and cold. I'm never in stop and go traffic, but I could see it being good for that. I may or may not have touched 160mph today in D mode coming home on a nice long, empty straightaway. It still felt so solid and planted, I couldn't believe the speedo.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,953 Posts
Quite special indeed. I notice you didn't say anything about "A" mode. :) There are clear distinctions between all the modes, and it's really like I have 4 different cars. But who would drive a Quadrifoglio in "A" mode, right? Well, I've found that "A" is particularly good in stop-and -go traffic because the braking at slow speeds is much more gentle than the other modes, which tend to be jerky, as others have noted. And even in "A", if you really punch the gas, you can get pretty good acceleration.

As for my typical morning drive, I like to head south on 280, take the Woodside exit and head west, then take Kings Mountain and have fun on all the twisties and hairpins up to Skyline. If I'm short on time, I head south on Skyline to 92, then bact to civilization, and home. But if I have more time, then I cross Skyline and continue with the twisties on Tunitas Creek all the way down to Hwy 1, then to the 92 for a nice long loop.
Hey, that's almost my bicycle work-out route, except I usually run over to Pescadero and back on Stage road. The route is pretty popular with cyclists particularly Tunitas Creek and Kings Mountain, don't be sliding sideways into one.

You might want to give 84 a try, the east side as well and the upper part of the west side are a blast unless you get stuck behind traffic.

Note the "no skate boarding" sign at the top of Kings Mountain.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Great to hear about other people simply enjoying driving their Giulia's. Doesn't hurt that you found some beautiful scenery to drive through. Thanks for sharing the experience and the photos.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
as a recent new england arrival, I must say there are way more windy two lanes out here than in western states, due to the roads starting much earlier. it is great, and fall only adds to it.
Haven't done a explored Connecticut yet, but maybe after afoalo fall planting, we will venture down to Cos Cob and get some sausage at Scarpelli's

·
Registered
365 Posts
Great pics. Those are the types of weekend drives that my wife and I love doing, we had hoped we would had have our Giulia by end of August / early September, just for the purpose of long weekend drives. I was also surprised how much unchanged your foliage is still. We're "past-peak" here in central NY, the vast majority of the leaves have come down with storms in the past 2 weeks. The predominant tree color is now bare brown.

Unfortunately, our Giulia is now 2 months overdue, although supposed to arrive later this coming week. I'm not taking any chances, the snow tires go onto my wife's daily driver tomorrow. I've already heard a few people run down the road we live on with studded winter tires, a sure sign that we've pretty much missed out on the rest of the good driving weather around here.

·
Registered
249 Posts
as a recent new england arrival, I must say there are way more windy two lanes out here than in western states, due to the roads starting much earlier. it is great, and fall only adds to it.
Haven't done a explored Connecticut yet, but maybe after afoalo fall planting, we will venture down to Cos Cob and get some sausage at Scarpelli's
I have to differ with you. I live north of San Francisco and I have many hundreds of miles of two lane twisties right outside my driveway. My favorite is the road out to Point Reyes seashore. If you ever come out here - let me know and we can do the drive. Two Alfas going out the road together would be amazing.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
the first time I drove the entire west coast was 1972, plenty of times since in plenty of vehicles, and lived 30 years in southern california.
I'm not saying I've been on every road there, but I do I think I'm able to make a personal and fair assessment of twisty roads per square mile or something.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts