Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Surprise, surprise. FCA is pushing back the debut of even more Alfa models based on weakness in the Chinese market.

Already we know that the Giulia's showroom debut has been pushed back, but now news comes that both the Alfa SUV and the larger Alfa sedan will not meet their targets either.

“After selling off the family’s silver, Fiat is still loaded with debt as Alfa Romeo is far away from generating cash,” Ian Fletcher, an analyst at IHS in London said to Bloomberg. “While it’s a rational decision to step back from some projects and concentrate resources on the most important ones, the carmaker isn’t getting nearer to its 2018 sales target”

But the real thorn is the Chinese market. Saint Sergio was counting on robust growth of Alfa Romeo in China in order to fund the future of the brand. Marchionne now saying that the brand must "rethink" its strategy and shift to product development “more ideally suited” to North America and Europe.

The whole thing is starting to sound like a preposterous Ponzi scheme.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It sounds like he is trying to make it seem like things are under control, but really it seems like things aren't really under control. Plans are really falling apart. I'm sure the company will be fine... Well, who knows actually? This could snow ball, and soon Mary Barra will just get to buy Jeep and leave the rest for the wolves.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Didn't know FCA was in so much debt:
Shareholders in Fiat, which is strained by 10.3 billion euros in net debt, will meet Thursday to approve the complete spin off of the supercar unit.
Don't think FCA will let go of Jeep before everything else. That's their money maker but they may start with the other brands that's not making as much.

·
Registered
277 Posts
PMD is RUTHLESSSSS to Alfa in his latest column... http://www.autoextremist.com/current/2015/12/8/stuff-this.html

Alfa Romeo: If Alfa were in The Wizard of Oz, I would so love to bestow courage on the brand, or even a brain, because having a heart is only going to take the Italian ghost of a car company only so far. As I said when it appeared in L.A., the new Giulia Quadrifoglio is the most spectacular piece of vaporware this business has seen in years, but it won’t be enough to forge the grand vision for the brand harbored by Sergio The Great. And the more pedestrian Giulia is just that, a pedestrian entry to an already overcrowded field. Sergio’s vision of hinging FCA’s future on launching multiple competitive Alfa Romeo-branded entries into a market that is already oversaturated within an inch of its life is nothing more than a Christmas fantasy. A stocking full of hand-painted green, white and red coal for those toiling away on the Alfa brand under Sergio’s boot heel, because from here on out it’s a train ride headed straight for oblivion.
Sergio gets some too ;)

Sergio The Great. It’s refreshing to see that Marchionne’s delusions of grandeur get the best of him every time. Yes, he’s tempered his empty rhetoric of late, suggesting that he isn’t going to attempt a hostile takeover of GM, but that doesn’t mean he’s mellowed or that he's had a sudden change of heart. It just means that he’s resigned to the fact that he has to find another partner, and quick. Remember, this is the guy who insists that Alfa Romeo will be “the next Audi.” That failed promise of Alfa Romeo has been Marchionne’s Groundhog Day for a full eight years now. For that Sergio gets his very own stuffed groundhog.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I think that it is pretty hilarious that he is the highest paid auto executive, running the worst of the major auto groups.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I think that it is pretty hilarious that he is the highest paid auto executive, running the worst of the major auto groups.
If you brought two formerly broke and bankrupt companies back from the brink and then were trying to balance their respective debts while churning out competitive product you'd ask for a Kings ransom too.

He does not have an enviable job right now IMO.

·
Registered
244 Posts
He seems ruthless to most brands on the list. I think only Jeep and Lexus escaped unscathed.
Will Alfa need to update the Giulia when they release it in 2020? That's a long time away and other car manufacturers will advance in that time.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Even so, his pay is way out of proportion to the job. It is crazy compared to other execs.
In what way, I showed you why it was justified or why it could be justified. Do you have a response beyond it's crazy?

Like I said, for the hands he's been dealt the man is doing much more then most. Marry Barra included ;)

·
Registered
288 Posts
When you compare his salary to other execs, and also to the workers of the company, it is an inflated salary. It is a ridiculous sum of money.

Here are some of the details of his relative pay:

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV Chief Executive Sergio Marchionne is on track to get $72 million in total pay for 2014—mostly from bonuses and a stock award tied to Fiat’s takeover of Chrysler that led to a 61% jump in its share price.

His pay exceeds that of automotive chiefs in Europe and the U.S., including the $29.5 million pay package that former Ford Motor Co. CEO Alan Mulally took home in 2011 for leading the second-largest U.S. car maker through a turnaround.
The pay package outruns most executives. Median total direct compensation for the CEO of the largest 500 companies in Europe last year was about €3 million, according to management consultancy Hay Group.

Among U.S. auto executives, Mary Barra, who became CEO of GM in January last year, received a 2014 pay package of $14.4 million.
Large executive payouts are rare in Italy. Luca Cordero di Montezemolo received €15 million last year after Mr. Marchionne forced him out as Ferrari chairman, a post Mr. Marchionne took for himself.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/fiat-chrysler-ceo-marchionne-earned-34-6-million-in-2014-1425661936

·
Registered
277 Posts
Its the stocks that push him that high. What does he make in straight salary?

Also have you taken a look at how many hats Sergio wears for FCA?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Its the stocks that push him that high. What does he make in straight salary?

Also have you taken a look at how many hats Sergio wears for FCA?
I suppose I'm a bit left of centre on economics. Capitalism, sure. But what good does it do Sergio or society for him to make that much as opposed to a great deal of money but not that much? That money could be invested in something, like the company itself, raising average worker salary, taxing it and giving it to the government. I just don't get the point other than him feeling like he's winning because he is getting more money than the other millionaire/billionaire CEOs that live down the street (like way down the street since the properties are so big).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts