Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Mopar Warranty vs. CPO Extended Warranty

8K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Richo8657 
#1 ·
Hi everyone - potentially joining the Gulia club soon here (looking at a 2017 TI AWD w/ performance package w/ 42k miles)

I am very excited, but before buying I had a question on warranty options. Would anyone be able to give an overview / recommendation on extended warranty plans? Right now I have two options, pay to get the vehicle CPO (~$2.1K) to extend the manufacturers warranty (6 yr / 100K miles) or go with Mopar's warranty, which I just quoted on their site for ~$1500 with a $200 deductible.

A little bit of background, I would not be driving the car much (occasional weekend trip & for fun), so I quoted the Mopar warranty at 36 months / 11k miles per year, which is well under what I estimate I'll be driving. This quote is for the 'added plus' warranty, so it looks like it covers basically everything within reason. Are there any gulia-specific warranty considerations I should take into account? Is extending the manufacturers warranty worth the extra ~$600? Am I just being dumb (probably) and these are two completely separate things?

Thank you!

#6 ·
@Kefurr Closest one is about 15 minutes away, brand new dealership so no website or anything yet, next closest is where I am likely buying from ~1 hour away. There's about 3-4 FCA dealers within 45 minutes, and about 10 more if I expand to an hour out.

@wingler good point, there is a mechanic I know and trust ~45 min away but unfortunately isn't part of FCA / Alfa network so I couldn't go there w/ the warranty.

I imagine going without one fairly idiotic when I have these relatively low cost options? I know impossible to tell as every car is different. I am just trying as best i can to protect against the inevitable since I am familiar with how painful it can get (cough bmw cough)

#7 ·
You have several good choices in your area. The two closest to me 4 and 8 hour round trip either have never returned my calls or I didn’t get a warm fuzzy feeling for, the one 11 hour round trip in Memphis has done me well. The local DCJ dealer has been more than accommodating on anything parts or service other than warranty work that they can’t do.

you can confirm with Mopar but I believe the Mopar warranty can be used at a non FCA shop. They have to get the work approved and accept being paid from Mopar or you can pay it and Mopar will pay you.

#8 ·
Wow that's quite the trip. This all makes sense, sounds like I should just give Mopar a call to confirm a few things which should hopefully clear it up and sounds like the two warranty options are comparable.

Thanks to both of you for the help, I appreciate it! Hopefully will have my Gulia this week.

#13 ·
1) ‘17’s have older infotainment, and no ability to activate ACP/AA

2) Hopefully it’s a non-navigation model, because the navigation is weak and the maps are out of date...and not being updated (yet...mine are 4 years old now, newest available).

3) There are a buttload of software updates and minor mechanical recalls/updates/modification on ‘17’s. Make sure they have ALL been done before you pick it up.

#14 ·
Thanks for this. Noted on 1/2 - probably weird but I actually prefer to use my phone even with more modern cars - hard to beat the functionality of Google.

3) I asked the dealer specifically about the software and he said all updates were performed and car is up to date. I know software updates are a bit of a crapshoot on these since it seems random if / when Alfa passes through updates and on what cars. I'm new to the forum but have already read posts about the "secret list" that Alfa supposedly keeps on what cars need an update or what services warrant an update.

My dealer (registered Alfa / Mas dealer) also obviously said all mechanical updates were performed, and the CarFax is clean. I have the records from the last service and it looks fine, and I've been relying on this info to make the purchase but depending on cost of the CPO i may just buy that. The inspection to get it to CPO should cover any other mechanical updates that need to be performed before I take ownership. Anything specific (major) to watch out for? Or in your opinion do you think I'd be covered here?

#15 ·
Thanks for this. Noted on 1/2 - probably weird but I actually prefer to use my phone even with more modern cars - hard to beat the functionality of Google.

3) I asked the dealer specifically about the software and he said all updates were performed and car is up to date. I know software updates are a bit of a crapshoot on these since it seems random if / when Alfa passes through updates and on what cars. I'm new to the forum but have already read posts about the "secret list" that Alfa supposedly keeps on what cars need an update or what services warrant an update.

My dealer (registered Alfa / Mas dealer) also obviously said all mechanical updates were performed, and the CarFax is clean. I have the records from the last service and it looks fine, and I've been relying on this info to make the purchase but depending on cost of the CPO i may just buy that. The inspection to get it to CPO should cover any other mechanical updates that need to be performed before I take ownership. Anything specific (major) to watch out for? Or in your opinion do you think I'd be covered here?
You could message me and I can tell you more info about the car than your dealer probably

#16 · (Edited)
Just so you know, the approximate dealer cost to C.P.O. the car is $995. That is what the dealer has to pay F.C.A. to file
the warranty and extend the coverage. The C.P.O. warranty only covers the power train to 100,000.
find out It is not a bumper to bumper warranty. I called Alfa Custom Care tot since to find out.
I have both. My car is a C.P.O. car and I have the Mopar 8 year 85,000-mile warranty.
The Mopar warranty, which is available from any F.C.A. dealer (Fiat, Alfa, Chrysler, RAM, Jeep.) is the one you should check out,
as it is a complete bumper to bumper extension of the factory warranty. You can call around and negotiate with any of those
franchises.

You might want to check out the prices of the Mopar warranty at: Jeepfactorywarranty. Look at the Maximum Care.
It covers everything except for wear items: brakes, tires, fluid changes, etc. The same as the factory warranty.
And, it is about a third OFF from what the dealer list prices are for the same warranty.
Don't even consider some aftermarket warranty. You won't be saving much money if you save any.

Reactions: hbx
#23 ·
Just so you know, the approximate dealer cost to C.P.O. the car is $995. That is what the dealer has to pay F.C.A. to file
the warranty and extend the coverage. The C.P.O. warranty only covers the power train to 100,000.
find out It is not a bumper to bumper warranty. I called Alfa Custom Care tot since to find out.
I have both. My car is a C.P.O. car and I have the Mopar 8 year 85,000-mile warranty.
The Mopar warranty, which is available from any F.C.A. dealer (Fiat, Alfa, Chrysler, RAM, Jeep.) is the one you should check out,
as it is a complete bumper to bumper extension of the factory warranty. You can call around and negotiate with any of those
franchises.

You might want to check out the prices of the Mopar warranty at: Jeepfactorywarranty. Look at the Maximum Care.
It covers everything except for wear items: brakes, tires, fluid changes, etc. The same as the factory warranty.
And, it is about a third of what the dealer list prices are for the same warranty.
Don't even consider some aftermarket warranty. You won't be saving much money if you save any.
In the most important line I wrote, "It's a third OF what the dealer list prices are for the same warranty."
That was supposed to say, "a third OFF of the what the dealer list prices are for the same warranty."

I am so sorry if I mislead anyone. But a third OFF is a lot!
franchises.

And, it is about a third of what the dealer list prices are for the same warranty.
I apologize!!! I wrote, "it is about a third OF what the dealer list prices are for the same warranty."
That is a huge mistake. It should read, "it is a third OFF of what the dealer list prices are for the same warranty."
And, a third Off is a big deal. My warranty, 8 years 85,000 miles has a list price of $2755 on the jeepfactorywarranty site, their price is $1755.
That's a thousand dollars!
It is worth it to shop around.

Last month, my friend also purchase a used 2018 Giulia, and we found a coupon to purchase a warranty from Zeigler, who is also an authorized FCA warranty dealer. It was an extra $390 off the already discounted price from Zeigler. (but I can't remember that coupon code.) There was another one for this month, PAYINFULL, and that one took off $365 Also, using the code: GREGH will take off $265, but I don't think they can be used together.

The point is to shop around! Zeigler and jeepfactorywarranty are the lowest I have seen, but there may be other authorized FCA dealerships that will deeply discount the factory warranty.

#18 ·
I got my Mopar MaxCare warranty form the dealer in Eau Claire via online purchase. 8yr/60k miles, $200 deductible. price was ~$1000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.