Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just like the title says, has anyone with modifications to their car (tune, intake, exhaust, springs, etc) had service or warranty work performed at a dealer in the Greater NYC area? What was their attitude towards your modifications? I am looking to install intake soon, springs after, and maybe a jb4. The only exhaust work I plan on doing anytime soon is purely cosmetic.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Just like the title says, has anyone with modifications to their car (tune, intake, exhaust, springs, etc) had service or warranty work performed at a dealer in the Greater NYC area? What was their attitude towards your modifications? I am looking to install intake soon, springs after, and maybe a jb4. The only exhaust work I plan on doing anytime soon is purely cosmetic.
I have a QV with a centerline exhaust x-pipe to new cans....sound is really good..deeper/throatier.
and thats about it....frankly IMHO, this car is perfect mechanically. the chassis, balance, power to weight, steering etc. is spot on. It doesn't need more than 505hp, the suspension is tuned in just right as it is, I would not lower it or mess with it....THIS IS NOT a track car...if you want to do some HPDE or autox events it is fine, most people here will not ever drive the car to 8/10ths...some AHEM @BostonDMD & @Call me Al..are either PCA racers or big track junkies and are looking to extract 10/10ths out of the car...and as they will tell you...it ain't happening.

as far as how dealers react, I use Miller Motors in Greenwich CT (service is in Stamford) and they don't give a hoot, in fact one board member here actually had their centerline installed by them...
Enjoy your Alfa!:grin2:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a QV with a centerline exhaust x-pipe to new cans....sound is really good..deeper/throatier.
and thats about it....frankly IMHO, this car is perfect mechanically. the chassis, balance, power to weight, steering etc. is spot on. It doesn't need more than 505hp, the suspension is tuned in just right as it is, I would not lower it or mess with it....THIS IS NOT a track car...if you want to do some HPDE or autox events it is fine, most people here will not ever drive the car to 8/10ths...some AHEM @BostonDMD & @Call me Al..are either PCA racers or big track junkies and are looking to extract 10/10ths out of the car...and as they will tell you...it ain't happening.

as far as how dealers react, I use Miller Motors in Greenwich CT (service is in Stamford) and they don't give a hoot, in fact one board member here actually had their centerline installed by them...
Enjoy your Alfa!:grin2:
I have a base Q4 Sport as my daily, Dakar Yellow S54 E36 in the works at home. No matter what or how great the car is, I'll modify it lol. Coilovers, wheels, exhausts, tunes... I'm nearing 26 and feel no signs of outgrowing this either, especially as my income catches up to my habits. To each his own though, thanks for the dealer recommendation!

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Miller in Greenwich/Stamford. The home of Italian cars in America. The original importer of Ferraris under Luigi Chinetti. I've been there at least once for a Ferrari club event but didn't get to see the old mounting bolts in the floor for the old lifts in the service area. Those are in the back where the old building was. I should plan a trip just for that.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I have a base Q4 Sport as my daily, Dakar Yellow S54 E36 in the works at home. No matter what or how great the car is, I'll modify it lol. Coilovers, wheels, exhausts, tunes... I'm nearing 26 and feel no signs of outgrowing this either, especially as my income catches up to my habits. To each his own though, thanks for the dealer recommendation!
LMAO...if you can't tell from my forum name...I live/breathe M cars>:)
I still have my E30 M3 (my 1st) and I have a Dinan S2 E39 M5....so modding cars is in the DNA (pardon the pun) but with the QV I feel it is as good as it can get without screwing with it...
I miss my E36 M3 (95) it was my dedicated track car...full Turner Stage 3 kit, Brembos, coil overs cage etc.....I think they are great cars and now the prices are rising as people realize it...
who did/doing the conversion for you??....pics when you can:wink2:

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Miller wouldn’t install my Forza exhuast controller but White Plains Alfa did. Miller might not care about putting in an x-pipe I guess but probably didn’t want to mess with an electronic add-on?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Miller wouldn’t install my Forza exhuast controller but White Plains Alfa did. Miller might not care about putting in an x-pipe I guess but probably didn’t want to mess with an electronic add-on?
you may be right with that @JerryNY, given some of the electronice gremlins that we initially saw in some cars....they had no issue when i asked about the centerline install....it was more me who balked at the install price...LOL

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
LMAO...if you can't tell from my forum name...I live/breathe M cars>:)
I still have my E30 M3 (my 1st) and I have a Dinan S2 E39 M5....so modding cars is in the DNA (pardon the pun) but with the QV I feel it is as good as it can get without screwing with it...
I miss my E36 M3 (95) it was my dedicated track car...full Turner Stage 3 kit, Brembos, coil overs cage etc.....I think they are great cars and now the prices are rising as people realize it...
who did/doing the conversion for you??....pics when you can:wink2:
I think the biggest thing going against the QV on the track is pardon the pun... having a track record like the M cars. So many M’s have been out on the track for sooo many years there are countless track hours of shake-down to identify what’s needed and more importantly a market to provide what’s needed to make upgrades for those 2% of buyers who really want to push things on the track. Right now we’re all guinea pigs and there’s a dearth of aftermarket parts and knowhow with the Giulia. Hopefully we get some aftermarket options for brakes at least soonish...

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I think the biggest thing going against the QV on the track is pardon the pun... having a track record like the M cars. So many M’s have been out on the track for sooo many years there are countless track hours of shake-down to identify what’s needed and more importantly a market to provide what’s needed to make upgrades for those 2% of buyers who really want to push things on the track. Right now we’re all guinea pigs and there’s a dearth of aftermarket parts and knowhow with the Giulia. Hopefully we get some aftermarket options for brakes at least soonish...
that's true but what should be clear is that a bone stock M3 is still in need of help at the track when really pushed like some members here pushed their QV's. I remember last year we BROKE the brakes on M3 & M2 Comp Pak cars at MMC. they were being driven to the limit and they could not hold up, NOR should they or the QV be expected too...after all it is a Street car:wink2:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I second whatever @MDriver says......:grin2:

Enjoy the QV or the conventional Giulia at the track, but don't expect them to be competitive with track purposed cars...... unless you gut them and put all the track necessary components......

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I second whatever @MDriver says....../forum/images/GiuliaForums/smilies/tango_face_grin.png

Enjoy the QV or the conventional Giulia at the track, but don't expect them to be competitive with track purposed cars...... unless you gut them and put all the track necessary components......

So, to make sure I'm understanding you...you think it's perfectly acceptable for a car to be advertised as the fastest sedan in the world, including showing lap times in their national tv commercials, to be be unfit to actually use on a track for 80 total minutes by an intermediate driver? Do you really think that's acceptable and not misleading?

What about the 5+ times in the owner's manual it's mentioned about different features and when to use them on the race track? Still "don't expect" it to survive 4 20 minute sessions?

Just because you aren't into spending time at the track, doesn't make it acceptable that a car can't handle what it's marketed for.

Everyone is making excuses for this obvious design flaw. Sure, if you track the car frequently and expect good times, stuff is going to break. But every time, and there's no oem or aftearket solution? Unacceptable.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
So, to make sure I'm understanding you...you think it's perfectly acceptable for a car to be advertised as the fastest sedan in the world, including showing lap times in their national tv commercials, to be be unfit to actually use on a track for 80 total minutes by an intermediate driver? Do you really think that's acceptable and not misleading?

What about the 5+ times in the owner's manual it's mentioned about different features and when to use them on the race track? Still "don't expect" it to survive 4 20 minute sessions?

Just because you aren't into spending time at the track, doesn't make it acceptable that a car can't handle what it's marketed for.

Everyone is making excuses for this obvious design flaw. Sure, if you track the car frequently and expect good times, stuff is going to break. But every time, and there's no oem or aftearket solution? Unacceptable.
Take it to the track, post some videos then we’ll talk about the QV’s capabilitis (in stock form) as a race car.....

·
Registered
2,004 Posts

Take it to the track, post some videos then we’ll talk about the QV’s capabilitis (in stock form) as a race car.....
I have taken it to the track. What would you like to talk about? And who is talking about race cars?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I have taken it to the track. What would you like to talk about? And who is talking about race cars?
Never mind.......
If you can’t or didn’t find its limitations then there is nothing to talk about......
Carry on......

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I did find the limitation, a brake system that's unsuitable for any track use. Carry on indeed.
Please post your video......I need to learn from the QV track experts......

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I did find the limitation, a brake system that's unsuitable for any track use. Carry on indeed.
Please post your video......I need to learn from the QV track experts......
Not sure if you're being passive aggressive or genuine, but I'm no QV track expert. Considering my experience, and the experience of others, I doubt there are any track experts driving qv's on the track.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Not sure if you're being passive aggressive or genuine, but I'm no QV track expert. Considering my experience, and the experience of others, I doubt there are any track experts driving qv's on the track.
This we can agree on......

From my limited experience, the QV is an awesome sport sedan........ but at the track, in stock form, it can't compete with track prepared cars running in the advanced/instructor group..... and that is a fact.....

Best regards......

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
This we can agree on......

From my limited experience, the QV is an awesome sport sedan........ but at the track, in stock form, it can't compete with track prepared cars running in the advanced/instructor group..... and that is a fact.....

Best regards......
Why do you continue to make a point that nobody is disputing? I, and probably everyone, agree that the qv can't (and shouldn't) compete with a track prepped car. My issue, and others' issue o. This forum, is that the qv braking system can't survive an hpde day by an intermediate driver in *any* form.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Why do you continue to make a point that nobody is disputing? I, and probably everyone, agree that the qv can't (and shouldn't) compete with a track prepped car. My issue, and others' issue o. This forum, is that the qv braking system can't survive an hpde day by an intermediate driver in *any* form.
English is my second language......:grin2:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts