Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If all its badges were removed or covered, what would the average non-car enthusiast identify a Giulia as being? My guess is some kind of Hyundai or Kia. Not as insulting as it would have been in the past, in my opinion, but still far off the mark.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was at a stop light and a guy yelled out to me, "hey what is that....a BMW?"

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was at a stop light and a guy yelled out to me, "hey what is that....a BMW?"
I suspect plenty would believe that if they saw a roundel.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
From the rear, people would not "understand" the badge beyond about 10 feet. With my "GIULIA" blacked out, I've been asked what it is and where it's from. In the front, there seems to be much better brand recognition. I've seen multiple kids (in the sub-10 range) point and name my car by brand, but not type.

Reactions: DragonKart

·
Registered
647 Posts
Is that the new Yugo GT Sports Salloon?

·
Registered
256 Posts
More comments about how beautiful my car looks since Sept 15 than previous 20 years, and i have driven some nice cars. I dont care what the badge is or frankly what anyone else thinks. The guilia is simply a beautiful italian piece of design.

Today a guy asked “ does it drive as good as it looks”, my response was better.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Can't believe op thinks that a Kia/Hyundai fits in this picture. Everyone's entitled to their opinion tho. My opinion is that haters can hate and always will ;)

Everyone loves the car. But impossible to love it as much as an owner. I could drive it happily all day. I get flagged down by other drivers so they can ask about it. Usually they know it's an Alfa already. Bimmers and Benzes are cool and look great.... Alfa elicits conversation...

Attachments

·
Registered
7,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If all its badges were removed or covered, what would the average non-car enthusiast identify a Giulia as being? My guess is some kind of Hyundai or Kia. Not as insulting as it would have been in the past, in my opinion, but still far off the mark.
Can't believe OP thinks that a Kia/Hyundai fits in this picture. Everyone's entitled to their opinion tho. My opinion is that haters can hate and always will ;)
Airball! Please re-read and re-think. AlfaCrisis's comment about people not "understanding" the badge from the rear rings true. At a distance, cars such as Elantras, Optimas, Toyota Corollas, and even Chrysler 200s are configured similarly. Not a log of distinction there. And on the road, the back of an Alfa is what most people see.

Today a guy asked “ does it drive as good as it looks”, my response was better.
That's my usual response to the question.

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
I thought the profile was similar to an Audi/Infiniti, but really it looks nothing like a BMW to me, it’s a pretty unique look really.

·
Registered
857 Posts
One of the thing I like most about Alfa is it is so much less of a status symbol than a BMW, Benz ... people wonder about the car before the driver's bank account which is usually other way around for the German brands ...
Max, I gree about the "less of a status symbol" than BMW and Benz. I had to chuckle a bit because parked in my garage currently are an X3 (sons), a CLA-250 (wifes) and a 14 year old 5 series (mine). I am looking forward to the likely replacement of my car with a Giulia Ti Sport, in the near future. It will be interesting to see how others view this car. To be honest, I have not seen a single Giulia on the road and I have been looking hard to spot one.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My first new Giulia had the opposite reaction from those who just don't know.
"That's ugly, what is it?"
But on winding roads it was a quick car.
I still think it is one of the best car designs.
It was 1968 and I eventually gave up explaining that "form follows function" and would just say "When inside, you can't see the outside".
That was 50 years ago, but in 2011 I bought a very nice 1967 Giulia Super in 501 Red.
It prompted more admiration, comments and questions than I got with the 101 Spider and Sprint that I had at the time.
It seems that every 50 years I buy a new Giulia.

:)

·
Registered
630 Posts
I don't really care what anyone else thinks it is. But I can say that I've received more compliments and conversation starters in the past 2 months with my Alfa than I have in decades of driving other cars. When I had my old BMW 6-series I would occasionally receive compliments from other middle-aged men. But with my red Alfa, it's mostly been women who are inquisitive. And I'm not a Tom Cruise lookalike so I know it's the car and not me that's soliciting that response! LOL

1 - 17 of 17 Posts