Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Anodized Blue Giulia TI, RWD
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Odd when the discovery of parking lot damage (to one's new car) leaves one feeling slightly relieved, but there it is.

Came out to my parallel-parked '20 Anodized Blue Giulia TI last night after a restaurant outing to find the driver's side mirror cover was simply gone! Of course, I grabbed my flashlight to see how bad the damage was, whether they scraped the body, etc., but not so much as a smudge on the body and, in fact, the mirror itself sustained exactly zero damage. All the clips and notches are perfectly intact, mirror not the least bit loose, etc. Whew!... I guess? lol.

It's almost as if it was skillfully removed (or somehow fell off???). Not so much as a pry mark on what remained. All electronics fully functional.

So now I need a new one and a quick check of the Mopar site only shows carbon fiber replacement sets and not OEM stuff.

Do I go to the dealer? Does anyone here have one they want to sell me? This is my first time in an Alfa and not sure of the best path, so thought I'd check in with the experts here first.

I'm in Northern CA--Bay Area and can go to any shop. Frankly, unless I'm missing something, I think I can simply reinstall the new cover myself and I have no plans to make an insurance claim, as with my $200 deductible, I'd rather just skip the potential rate-effecting event.

·
Registered
392 Posts
if you are looking for CF I have a brand new OEM driver's side mirror cover I will sell you.

Reactions: SYFer

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
620 Posts
Odd when the discovery of parking lot damage (to one's new car) leaves one feeling slightly relieved, but there it is.

Came out to my parallel-parked '20 Anodized Blue Giulia TI last night after a restaurant outing to find the driver's side mirror cover was simply gone! Of course, I grabbed my flashlight to see how bad the damage was, whether they scraped the body, etc., but not so much as a smudge on the body and, in fact, the mirror itself sustained exactly zero damage. All the clips and notches are perfectly intact, mirror not the least bit loose, etc. Whew!... I guess? lol.

It's almost as if it was skillfully removed (or somehow fell off???). Not so much as a pry mark on what remained. All electronics fully functional.

So now I need a new one and a quick check of the Mopar site only shows carbon fiber replacement sets and not OEM stuff.

Do I go to the dealer? Does anyone here have one they want to sell me? This is my first time in an Alfa and not sure of the best path, so thought I'd check in with the experts here first.

I'm in Northern CA--Bay Area and can go to any shop. Frankly, unless I'm missing something, I think I can simply reinstall the new cover myself and I have no plans to make an insurance claim, as with my $200 deductible, I'd rather just skip the potential rate-effecting event.

View attachment 108298
Looks suspiciously like someone needed it and took it....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
if you are looking for CF I have a brand new OEM driver's side mirror cover I will sell you.
Ya know, depending on how this goes, I'm considering taking the opportunity to go CF, but since I have no other CF on the car, it's a vanilla TI, etc., my first choice is to stick with the stock look if it's not too hard to do. I'll follow up shortly if needed as I hope to resolve this before the next rains ;-)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks suspiciously like someone needed it and took it....
My thoughts exactly. But jeez, how many Anodized blue Giulia are even rolling around in my neck of the woods, ya know? I've only spotted a total of 3 or 4 Giulias (not blue) in the in the wild in the last two months at all, so a real head scratcher. And we looked around a fair bit, checked the nearby trash bins, etc. I kind of expected to see it by the curb or even on my hood. Capitola is a very tame town (and it was nice observing the restaurants were full on a Sunday, BTW).

And if it was a "hostile" act, well, I appreciate that they didn't a take a more conventional approach to "vandalism," ya know? Still feeling like I dodged a bullet.

So it's looking like this is a straight up call to the dealer which I'll do today and I'll place a follow up here for future searches. If anyone has any better approaches, I'm still monitoring.

Thanks to this excellent community!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Ya know, depending on how this goes, I'm considering taking the opportunity to go CF, but since I have no other CF on the car, it's a vanilla TI, etc., my first choice is to stick with the stock look if it's not too hard to do. I'll follow up shortly if needed as I hope to resolve this before the next rains ;-)
If you have no other CF on the car then I would stick with stock.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Believe it or not, it’s not the hardest thing to remove, although I used a heat gun to help soften the plastic a little and then held my breath. It snaps into the tabs. I had to replace the whole mirror with a used one from a Vulcano black and change the cover with my white one. Probably best bet is to hit some folks here and some of the online yards. Problem naturally is having someone who has just the cover without the mirror.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Maybe they liked the color so much they took it as a paint to sample.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Believe it or not, it’s not the hardest thing to remove, although I used a heat gun to help soften the plastic a little and then held my breath. It snaps into the tabs. I had to replace the whole mirror with a used one from a Vulcano black and change the cover with my white one. Probably best bet is to hit some folks here and some of the online yards. Problem naturally is having someone who has just the cover without the mirror.
Hence my post :) and that's a great tip on the heat gun. I called my dealer and sent email, but no reply yet, so looking to nail it down ASAP.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
4 Posts
Possible pay dirt here... I tried to find such a resource myself to no avail--this is gold. There's no indication of color, so might call 'em and I'll try another local dealer today, but if I end up having to do the whole cold matching thing (would prefer not to), this is extremely helpful. At least I have part numbers now!
For sure, also. You’ll need a body shop to paint your mirror cap. They don’t come painted, none of AR parts come painted. Just primed

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have just purchased from Alfa of Stevens Creek. Very easy experience and now I'll pre-arrange for the paint work at a local body shop in Santa Cruz. I'll follow this up with an after-action report and photo. Thanks to all who procived sage advice
For sure, also. You’ll need a body shop to paint your mirror cap. They don’t come painted, none of AR parts come painted. Just primed
So I've learned. I paid a tad more to obtain from local dealer (Stephens Creek) so will pick up there and planning to take to Perrigo's Auto Body in Santa Cruz unless someone has a better recommendation. Hoping to have this wrapped up within a few days and will post pics.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
2,849 Posts
If anyone has any better approaches, I'm still monitoring.
a panel beater ? they have direct lines to parts suppliers - might get a better price than a dealership

edit: oops, already covered

2nd suggestion : i would approach a dealer and query if they can tell if it simply fell off - they may cover it under warranty

·
Registered
441 Posts
Hence my post :) and that's a great tip on the heat gun. I called my dealer and sent email, but no reply yet, so looking to nail it down ASAP.
There is a video out there where a guy shows you how to remove and reinstall it.... hence the heat gun suggestion. You’re buying one to have repainted?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts