Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes I can post something tomorrow. The weird thing is that on their site and in the video they produced it looks staggered, but it's just not... not sure what's going on. I doubt the dealer bent them to look like that, so not sure why it's different. I should have opened the box first before I had it installed.
Also, they definitely stick out more, but I don't mind that, and maybe that's because of how the tips are clamped.

I think I spent too much on this... it should be around 1500 or so for a system like this, but since this is a niche car the quantities are small and costs are higher.

You will never get that kind of "f1 sound" from this engine, the pitch just doesn't change with RPM... it mostly just gets louder, it's not like most other cars in this regard.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Yes I can post something tomorrow. The weird thing is that on their site and in the video they produced it looks staggered, but it's just not... not sure what's going on. I doubt the dealer bent them to look like that, so not sure why it's different. I should have opened the box first before I had it installed.
Also, they definitely stick out more, but I don't mind that, and maybe that's because of how the tips are clamped.

I think I spent too much on this... it should be around 1500 or so for a system like this, but since this is a niche car the quantities are small and costs are higher.

You will never get that kind of "f1 sound" from this engine, the pitch just doesn't change with RPM... it mostly just gets louder, it's not like most other cars in this regard.
1500 to install the whole exhaust? Or 1500 to buy the exhaust?

Sadly I think you're right about the sound and why I'm starting to be happy with the cheap price of the xpipe, but a part of me will always wonder if the stock is better (I know that's subjective) than the xpipe

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I watched the video again and they do look staggered. Maybe go back to the dealer

·
Registered
265 Posts
I mean this system should cost 1500, not over 2500. This type of system for am m3 which is produced in obviously higher numbers would be a lot less than 2500.

installation cost is a different matter... the Milltek manual says it should take 3-4 hours and therefore the dealer just charged me for 4 hours. I think I paid too much for thatl I should negotiated a lower price upfront.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I watched the video again and they do look staggered. Maybe go back to the dealer
yes they look staggered in the videos and the pictures, but unless the dealer heated up the pipes with a torch and bent them, I am pretty sure that’s how it came from the factory at Milltek as the system is straight.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I mean this system should cost 1500, not over 2500. This type of system for am m3 which is produced in obviously higher numbers would be a lot less than 2500.

installation cost is a different matter... the Milltek manual says it should take 3-4 hours and therefore the dealer just charged me for 4 hours. I think I paid too much for thatl I should negotiated a lower price upfront.
That's a good point. It's a shame we have to pay more but then we do have a rarer car which I like

yes they look staggered in the videos and the pictures, but unless the dealer heated up the pipes with a torch and bent them, I am pretty sure that’s how it came from the factory at Milltek as the system is straight.
Might still be worth asking

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's a good point. It's a shame we have to pay more but then we do have a rarer car which I like

Might still be worth asking
Thanks Avnyc11 for directing me here.

I’m deciding between this and Akrapovic and hope the tips could be adjusted to stagger like stock.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I think the dealer did mess up the install! The inner pipes are actually pointed down and too low, it's almost like the installer thought he needed to make the two pipes level. There appears to be a pipe clamp that adjusts this... easy to fix, but not so easy to get to. If you look closely enough, you can see that the inner pipe is actually pointed down because it should be twisted up to give the staggered look. The tip is almost rubbing too.
IMG_5379.jpg
IMG_5378.jpg

Unbelievable, how they could mess that up too.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Not unbelievable as the dealer is not an exhaust installer and they have no idea or interest in aligning everything properly. You should have taken it to a local reputed exhaust shop who would have done a great job. They will also have everything to overcome any small issues.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Local exhaust shops won’t touch it because of rear bumper removal requirement as explained earlier. I tried 3 places, once they learned that the bumper had to come off they passed.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
I think the dealer did mess up the install! The inner pipes are actually pointed down and too low, it's almost like the installer thought he needed to make the two pipes level. There appears to be a pipe clamp that adjusts this... easy to fix, but not so easy to get to. If you look closely enough, you can see that the inner pipe is actually pointed down because it should be twisted up to give the staggered look. The tip is almost rubbing too.
View attachment 95339 View attachment 95340

Unbelievable, how they could mess that up too.
Can you get the dealer to fix it?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Can you get the dealer to fix it?
That's my plan. I think there are two problems actually:
1. inner pipes are pointed down (they are actually not level upon close inspection because of this). it'[s hard to see from the pics I took, but if you look at the side of the car, you can see that the inner pipes are actually pointing to the ground more so than the outer pipes. it's almost like the tech had never seen a QV exhaust setup and just assumed they were supposed to be in a line. The tips are almost running against the plastic too because of this.
2. the tips are sticking out too far.

I think all of that can be solved by removing the undertray and adjust clamps. But with what I paid to have it installed, I will insist on that tomorrow. I debated about trying to remove the undertray myself, but I paid enough for it, they have to fix it.

This is the same dealer that left the shipping blocks in the suspension at delivery and over-inflated the tires... so I guess I need to learn my lesson here.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
That's my plan. I think there are two problems actually:
1. inner pipes are pointed down (they are actually not level upon close inspection because of this). it'[s hard to see from the pics I took, but if you look at the side of the car, you can see that the inner pipes are actually pointing to the ground more so than the outer pipes. it's almost like the tech had never seen a QV exhaust setup and just assumed they were supposed to be in a line. The tips are almost running against the plastic too because of this.
2. the tips are sticking out too far.

I think all of that can be solved by removing the undertray and adjust clamps. But with what I paid to have it installed, I will insist on that tomorrow. I debated about trying to remove the undertray myself, but I paid enough for it, they have to fix it.

This is the same dealer that left the shipping blocks in the suspension at delivery and over-inflated the tires... so I guess I need to learn my lesson here.
Nice. Hopefully they can take care of it easily

I've been to 2 different dealers and both over inflate my tires. Perhaps it's common

·
Registered
265 Posts
the odd thing is that the installer did take time to align them, they are perfectly aligned to each other and each side is the same, just not aligned correctly. i plan to take to take it in tomorrow as long as we don’t have torrential rain here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm also having a Milltek mid pipe back installed in the coming week, however matched to a Centerline X-pipe.

We should do a sound comparo; located in the Bay Area.

My rear bumper needs to come off for some touchup anyhow. If you figure out the exact cause of the staggering botch up, please do let me know so my installer doesn't make the same mistake.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm also having a Milltek mid pipe back installed in the coming week, however matched to a Centerline X-pipe.

My rear bumper needs to come off for some touchup anyhow. If you figure out the exact cause of the staggering botch up, please do let me know so my installer doesn't make the same mistake.
Hi tubox3
Since you're in the Bay Area, I highly recommend you going to Ariana auto body shop located in Newark to install your Milltek exhaust system. I had my Supersprint catback system installed by them, and they did a really great job on that.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts

Very curious since I have the centerline and didn't think of that as an option

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi tubox3
Since you're in the Bay Area, I highly recommend you going to Ariana auto body shop located in Newark to install your Milltek exhaust system. I had my Supersprint catback system installed by them, and they did a really great job on that.
JC, I know this is a Milltek post but I have been looking extensively at the Supersprint cat back system. what are your thoughts? throttle response, tone etc. Really like the metallic tone that it preserves from the original.
Let me know if you would recommend and if you can share your installation cost.

Thank You

·
Registered
94 Posts
JC, I know this is a Milltek post but I have been looking extensively at the Supersprint cat back system. what are your thoughts? throttle response, tone etc. Really like the metallic tone that it preserves from the original.
Let me know if you would recommend and if you can share your installation cost.

Thank You
I am installing my SS this coming Saturday but the axle back option. Might go for full in the future. Andy actually wrote a good review on the axle back. See below

As far as I have read on different forums, specifically European forums SS is a great exhaust. Good luck

·
Registered
265 Posts
Took it back today. At first they were very snooty about it saying. "we did this as a favor, this always comes back to bite us, we don't know how to install aftermarket equipment" and even tried to say it looked correct. Once they brought it back and had other guys looks and realized that the entire bumper didn't need to come off to make the adjustment, thye just made the adjustment in a few minutes. Only the bolts for the middle undertray had to come off and they were able to reach in and make the adjustment.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts