Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I asked a question a while back about how many miles you all anticipate putting on your QV. I would at some point use the QV as a daily driver. I drive about 20,000 miles a year.

I am not concerned about fuel costs or regular scheduled maintenance. Is it foolhardy to put that many miles on this car as a daily driver?

I would like to hear your thoughts.

·
Registered
423 Posts
20K annual is a lot of driving, but hey, we like to drive - otherwise we wouldn't be here!

I'm always torn between, I love my car - I want to keep miles low, and I love my car - I want to drive all the time!

I say go with the latter. I've owned several cars I loved, and I'll always remember them fondly, but something else ALWAYS comes along. For me anyway... Too many good cars out there.

Reactions: Max

·
Vendor
619 Posts
4400 miles on the first one, 3670 on the new one.

Not a daily but do occasionally do long road trips.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input. I have a long commute and I am tired of feeling restrained on what I ?should? drive with that distance. I have always felt I should get a more ?responsible? car but I am over that and the QV is my answer. I appreciate the feedback.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have been dealing with this dilemma myself I do about 20-30K a year on my cars with my job and my love of driving. I have about a 150 mile commute daily and I was concerned with putting too many miles on the car and driving the value of it down. A part of me feels its better just to have one car that I drive al the time rather than splitting duty between two and putting wear and tear on two cars an destroying both. plus I want to be comfortable and have fun doing so if I am going to be driving something for 120-180 mins a day. The sales rep on my QV test drive said it was a great car to commute in and I actually would agree with him.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
longer drives certainly put less wear on any car, and if you are in a vehicle for a long time it it's preferable that it be something you enjoy.

toss in added insurance costs for an extra vehicle, maintenance, the loss on that high mileage vehicle, and I would expect it comes out to pretty much an economic wash, and not worth it for the loss of enjoyment.

I get the "no rainy day, no snow, no miles" thing for some, because they don't want to subject their baby to anything, and that's a nice car to buy used, but for most people it misses the point of buying a new car you actually want.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I drove through 3 torrential rain storms this year in my 360, long distances. I put about 7500 miles on it this first year with a trip to Lake Ontario, Central PA, and 3 trips to CT. And this is with my Miata doing mostly daily driver duty but on a short commute up the hill for work. 20,000 may be a lot for a Quad but not insane, especially highway miles. Have you used A mode much with cylinder deactivation? The fuel economy has got to be great that way. I think there are enough Quads in the US this year that a higher daily use won't make a huge difference in "driver" values. And these cars are meant to be driven. Just think what a pain it would be to have your bushings perish from dry rot from lack of use ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts