Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It looks like one of my favorite tires is now available for the Quadrifoglio from Tirerack - Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Once my Corsas wear out, I'll be giving those a try.
In the meantime, I need to decide if I need an all-season tire for November - March here in NC when temps get below 45 F.

Reactions: MDriver

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
It looks like one of my favorite tires is now available for the Quadrifoglio from Tirerack - Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Once my Corsas wear out, I'll be giving those a try.
In the meantime, I need to decide if I need an all-season tire for November - March here in NC when temps get below 45 F.
YEAH!!!...just made an appointment for my X1 to get new tires...and my mechanic said when will I ditch the Pirelli....I said as soon as Michelin makes Pilots in the exact size....the Tire Gods have heard Us!!
for now the QV will go an do nah nah in the garage until spring0:)

ugh just checked and of course they cost more...LOL

·
Registered
526 Posts
YEAH!!!...just made an appointment for my X1 to get new tires...and my mechanic said when will I ditch the Pirelli....I said as soon as Michelin makes Pilots in the exact size....the Tire Gods have heard Us!!
for now the QV will go an do nah nah in the garage until spring0:)

ugh just checked and of course they cost more...LOL
Make sure to mouse proof it!

·
Registered
617 Posts
the RE71R is a very good tire. I considered them for my Jaguar XKR but in the end went w/ the PSS.

for the alfa, I find the car rather entertaining with the OEM tires on colder days. My car is in charlotte, NC and I have been out on a sub freezing night and morning. quite fun in race mode wagging her tail:)

when the Pirellis wear out I will likely go to the PSS.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I wonder if this means that the QV size for the Michelin 4S is not going to be added anytime soon?
They make a 245/35 r19 4S but no such luck on the 285/30r19 yet. The new Pilot Super Sport spec 4S would be my tire of choice. I am shopping now since I have wheels coming soon.

·
Registered
11 Posts
the RE71R is a very good tire. I considered them for my Jaguar XKR but in the end went w/ the PSS.

for the alfa, I find the car rather entertaining with the OEM tires on colder days. My car is in charlotte, NC and I have been out on a sub freezing night and morning. quite fun in race mode wagging her tail:)

when the Pirellis wear out I will likely go to the PSS.
I recently put a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my QV for exactly this reason. I'm in Seattle, and lots of days nights below 45 and it was getting dicey. About 100 miles and and no more slipping.

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
I wonder if this means that the QV size for the Michelin 4S is not going to be added anytime soon?
Right - it seems strange that Michelin would introduce a new size for the PSS which is discontinued, but not in the current PS4S?

I have not noticed any downsides to using the 255/295 size in the PS4S (on stock wheels) - in fact I really like this tire!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I loved MPSS on various prior AMGs, but have to say, I absolutely adore the OEM Corsas. Suspect I will just re-purchase some of those, unless I see a good comparison tire test. Frankly, I wasn’t as impressed with the MPSS on my M3, but might have been the horrible power delivery causing regular traction issues.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The MPSS tires to fit the QV are BMW and Mercedes fitment so not AR rated. Not that it really matters. Its curious as another poster has said that Mercedes have had a 285/30-19 recently added to the Michelin product list in this day and age - my understanding was for 19" and above fitments Michelin have moved to the new PS4S which is a superior tire and manufacturered in their motorsports pressing plant in France where the Cup2 is made (and using similar design and construction techniques). There in may lay the clue. Mercedes have a manufacturing plant in USA and so do Michelin so in order to fit US built new Mercedes with USA manufactured Michelin (maybe a rebate or tax incentive involved) perhaps this is why they have chosen to resurrect the MPSS tire for this Merc application...

·
Registered
693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I notice on the Tirerack page that the PS4S tires have this warning
Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.

Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Max Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. Compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.
The PSS tires don't have this statement.

I've used the PSS year-round on my BMW without problem here in NC where the temps often get below freezing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You actually shouldn’t drive them below 7 Deg Celsius. You can, but at these temperatures you should fit winter tires. Breaking distance, even on dry roads increases significantly. Tires become stiff and so on. It is a legal requirement to fit winter tires in Germany and other EU countries whenever weather conditions are relevant.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.