Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Unless you live in 100 degree temps that make it easy to bring a tire up to 180-200 operating temp, on a public road you are never fully utilizing a Corsa. Go take your wildest ride with a set of corsas are 50.70, 90 degrees etc and pyrometer them immediately. You may be surprised. And don't justify it with a few wild donuts or max G parking lot specials first. I had them on my Evora S when new. great track day tire. But even at 60 degrees in the morning the tires were lousy when cold. That is a normal day in the life of a New Englander.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I understand your reasons for avoiding the 295’s but my point was that your saying that the use of a manufacturer approved rim width will affect performance is a stretch.

·
Registered
454 Posts
one of the factors affecting tire adhesion or "stick" is the contact patch. You can put your fatter mounted on the car tire on paper or the like to see what the contact area is, compared to OEM. Of course, cornering forces and acceleration will also affect this. Probably important to use a tire pyrometer to see what is on the asphalt and what isn't, and adjust pressures and possible alignment to optimize the area "...where the rubber meets the road."

Some years ago, GrassRoots magazine did track testing on different width tires, and it was illuminating. Bigger is not always better, when it comes to cornering. The above video shows well how a wider tire will throw more debris onto the car's paint. NV

·
Registered
534 Posts
one of the factors affecting tire adhesion or "stick" is the contact patch. You can put your fatter mounted on the car tire on paper or the like to see what the contact area is, compared to OEM. Of course, cornering forces and acceleration will also affect this. Probably important to use a tire pyrometer to see what is on the asphalt and what isn't, and adjust pressures and possible alignment to optimize the area "...where the rubber meets the road."

Some years ago, GrassRoots magazine did track testing on different width tires, and it was illuminating. Bigger is not always better, when it comes to cornering. The above video shows well how a wider tire will throw more debris onto the car's paint. NV
I recall tire testing on the miatas where the 225 was slower around their course than the 205 (or something similar) due to the rim width being better suited to the 205 providing largely the same contact patch but yet significantly decreased deflection due to the sidewall not being as bulged. The feel was much better as well. Less squirmy

·
Registered
4 Posts
I agree with your "pureism" comment but I have to disagree that the low speed cold performance is par for the course with performance tires/vehicles in general. There are plenty of high performance vehicles that that don't plow and bounce when trying to turn into a parking spot--threatening to slide into the vehicle in the spot over from you. Thankfully, a good set of high-performance, non-track tires fixes this issue.
Agree on the non-track tyre comment. Coming from AMG and making the leap to my first QV, recent AMG's have the same juddering issue at low speed, exacerbated by colder weather / cold tyres. This is not a flaw or fault but a symptom of a very aggressive geometry for AMG & QV.

My general rule has always been once the temperature drops to below 7C I shift to Winter tyres (Michelin PA PA4, would love the PA5 but cannot get the sizes) and in summer use PS4S as I am not after the last ounce of dry grip on a road.

As for the Corsa v PS4S debate, the two tyres are in different postcodes / ZIP codes. The equivalent to Corsa in the Michelin range is the Cup 2 tyres, both are, as I deem them "semi" legal road tyres, extra sticky compound tuned for tracks that need time to warm up that are compromised in cooler weather / wet weather.

For cars that will never see a track, go with PS4S or equivalent as a high performance full on road tyre. They will grip from cold and will perform great in the wet & dry but the compromise is absolute dry grip.

If money is no object have a set of track tyres like Corsa, Cup 2 or Trofeo plus high performance road tyres like PS4S plus winter tyres for temps below 7C like PA PA4, Pzero Winter or Sottozero.

For my new QV, I will take the Corsa's off and put on PS4S in summer (outside chance Goodyear Eagle F1 SS) & PA PA4 for winter. I live in the mountains with variable weather & twisty roads. I will give up absolute dry performance in summer for a tyre that will perform in the wet too. Similarly, in winter I will give up dry & wet performance for being able to drive in the cold & snowy conditions on winters - I could go into cold weather tyres v snow tyres but that is for another thread ;)

My conclusions is, there is always a compromise with whichever tyres you go with. Determine your use case and local conditions and decide if you want track biased tyres, road biased tyres or cold weather / snow tyres or a combination of dedicated tyres.

apologies if the above has been covered, just joined the forum

·
Registered
4 Posts
Going up in size is not a good idea - the rear wheels at 19x10 are not wide enough for 295s - they will ‘bulge’ - this affects both aesthetics and performance.

As I want to stick to the OEM sizes, the choices are very limited for summer tyres.

I’m not a fan of either Contis or Bridgestone. The MPSS are old tech and effectively superseded now. P Zeros are ok but not great and the Corsas - well my current set have lasted 12 months / 10,000 kms / 6,000 miles. Fronts are virtually bald. No track driving - absolutely ridiculous tyres for street driving.

After extensive research I have ordered the Goodyear F1 Eagle Supersports. They are brand new and it’s Goodyear’s all in attempt at taking on Michelin. Most reviews rate them as ‘as good as’ the MPS4S or close second. That’s good enough for me!
Great choice. I am torn between these and the PS4S.

Looking at https://www.michelinman.com/tires/pilot/pilot-sport-4s.html

The rim range is stated as 10" to 11" with 10.5" being the sweet spot.

Screenshot_20200630-210923_Chrome.jpg

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I am removing the Corsas and fitting the MPS4S tomorrow. Mine is a late 2019. Today was mildly damp with rain, after a 30 min drive I accelerated at 30mph after a speed bump on a residential street a little bit more than normal and the back end wiggles losing grip in a straight line. These tyres are not for me. I will report back on the MPS4S in a couple of days. Had them before on the 2.0 and they were stellar from cold and in the soaking wet too. A few people in the UK forum have fitted these in 295 rear, a mild bulge but the improved overall grip in all conditions is a big plus according to them.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I recently swapped the OEM corsas for the continental extremecontact sports.

while not the MP4S they are comparable. Wet grip is out of this world compared to the corsas. No more need to be scared of pop up summer storms. Haha. The dry grip is as expected. Also they’re available in OEM sizes. I’m not sure that the wider 295 255 combo leads to better grip. I’m not qualified to say so with any authority, but I have a feeling it doesn’t quite translate that way.

what I wasn’t prepared for is how much “Less communicative” these tires are than the corsas. I don’t mean to give a harsh review of my new shoes, quite the opposite actually. They’re much more “wife friendly”, but you can’t feel the road like you could with the corsas. Ultimately this is my daily driver, so it’s a compromise that needs to be made. But I have a new appreciation for the corsas. If you use the QV as a toy only, which I suspect is the case for lots of you guys, you may consider sticking with the corsas. As another user above stated, they’re in a different zip code. A complete different category of tire. Don’t use the tire rack rating as a bible. That tire brings out the true colors of the QV.

The low speed wheel shudder is gone completely with the extremecontact sports.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I have used QV sized 8.5J 10J wheels shod with MPS4S for more than a year on my previous highly tuned 2.0 and I will say this. The MPS4S offers 95% of the Corsa performance 100% of the time including feedback in both wet and dry whereas the Corsas work 100% about 30% of the time, at least in changeable UK weather! I am willing to sacrifice 5%. The MPS4S are fitted as standard on Ferrari SF90 Stradale, which says something. Why Alfa fit these stupid narrow margin of operation Corsas on a 4 door saloon is beyond me.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia QV
102 Posts
I recently swapped the OEM corsas for the continental extremecontact sports.

while not the MP4S they are comparable. Wet grip is out of this world compared to the corsas. No more need to be scared of pop up summer storms. Haha. The dry grip is as expected. Also they’re available in OEM sizes. I’m not sure that the wider 295 255 combo leads to better grip. I’m not qualified to say so with any authority, but I have a feeling it doesn’t quite translate that way.

what I wasn’t prepared for is how much “Less communicative” these tires are than the corsas. I don’t mean to give a harsh review of my new shoes, quite the opposite actually. They’re much more “wife friendly”, but you can’t feel the road like you could with the corsas. Ultimately this is my daily driver, so it’s a compromise that needs to be made. But I have a new appreciation for the corsas. If you use the QV as a toy only, which I suspect is the case for lots of you guys, you may consider sticking with the corsas. As another user above stated, they’re in a different zip code. A complete different category of tire. Don’t use the tire rack rating as a bible. That tire brings out the true colors of the QV.

The low speed wheel shudder is gone completely with the extremecontact sports.
These are the tires I run in stock sizes on my QV. Just got back home from a road trip from Pittsburgh to Portland, ME to back to Pittsburgh. It was rather wet the last two days of our trip but you couldn't even tell with the ExtremeContact Sports. Ride quality was good. No crazy road noise and to me, responsiveness was spot on. I do hit turns hard at times and these tires beast through them with absolute confidence.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Agree on the non-track tyre comment. Coming from AMG and making the leap to my first QV, recent AMG's have the same juddering issue at low speed, exacerbated by colder weather / cold tyres. This is not a flaw or fault but a symptom of a very aggressive geometry for AMG & QV.

My general rule has always been once the temperature drops to below 7C I shift to Winter tyres (Michelin PA PA4, would love the PA5 but cannot get the sizes) and in summer use PS4S as I am not after the last ounce of dry grip on a road.

As for the Corsa v PS4S debate, the two tyres are in different postcodes / ZIP codes. The equivalent to Corsa in the Michelin range is the Cup 2 tyres, both are, as I deem them "semi" legal road tyres, extra sticky compound tuned for tracks that need time to warm up that are compromised in cooler weather / wet weather.

For cars that will never see a track, go with PS4S or equivalent as a high performance full on road tyre. They will grip from cold and will perform great in the wet & dry but the compromise is absolute dry grip.

If money is no object have a set of track tyres like Corsa, Cup 2 or Trofeo plus high performance road tyres like PS4S plus winter tyres for temps below 7C like PA PA4, Pzero Winter or Sottozero.

For my new QV, I will take the Corsa's off and put on PS4S in summer (outside chance Goodyear Eagle F1 SS) & PA PA4 for winter. I live in the mountains with variable weather & twisty roads. I will give up absolute dry performance in summer for a tyre that will perform in the wet too. Similarly, in winter I will give up dry & wet performance for being able to drive in the cold & snowy conditions on winters - I could go into cold weather tyres v snow tyres but that is for another thread ;)

My conclusions is, there is always a compromise with whichever tyres you go with. Determine your use case and local conditions and decide if you want track biased tyres, road biased tyres or cold weather / snow tyres or a combination of dedicated tyres.

apologies if the above has been covered, just joined the forum
I’ve just replaced my worn Pirelli Corsas (front were bald after 10,000 kms - backs not as bad) with Goodyear Eagle F1SS. I wanted to stay with the OEM sizes and after a lot of research these appear to be the best option. Still early days, but so far so good.

·
Registered
'19 Giulia QV (Rosso Comp, Black/Red interior, Sparcos)
87 Posts
Geez that guy's an idiot. Painful to watch.
Do you have constructive feedback on why you disagree with him so adamantly? I'm trying to learn and I'd appreciate counter-points to those in that video

·
Registered
201 Posts
I’ve just replaced my worn Pirelli Corsas (front were bald after 10,000 kms - backs not as bad) with Goodyear Eagle F1SS. I wanted to stay with the OEM and after a lot of research these appear to be the best option. Still early days, but so far so good.
How is the steering with the GY F1SS tyres? Is it diluted compared to the Corsas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’ve just replaced my worn Pirelli Corsas (front were bald after 10,000 kms - backs not as bad) with Goodyear Eagle F1SS. I wanted to stay with the OEM and after a lot of research these appear to be the best option. Still early days, but so far so good.
I have decided to follow your lead and try out the Goodyear.

Good review here between the EF1SS and PS4S:

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Good video review. So on normal roads, the Michelin does everything that matters a little bit better but the Goodyear takes the edge cause it feels like a fun teenager tyres, so he would buy the Goodyear. The fact that he is driving a Goodyear provided M2 has got nothing to do with it ;)

Either way, it looks close. I will say this though which I have always said about the Michelin PS4S, the wet grip is epic and it feels like you are in the dry to the point it even feels better than cold days dry grip..its bizzare and amazing. He mentions it as well. Plus I like the sidewall of the MPS4S better. What to say, I am a sucker for beauty what buying an Alfa and all that. Only wish they made them in 285! I will be able to compare this evening as they are being fitted today.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Geez that guy's an idiot. Painful to watch.
I would not use those words. Some of the videos are useful but I have realised after doing some of the work he shows, the process is shown to be unnecessarily over complicated. The air filter change video with BMC for example, he makes it look like an awkward 2 man job. It took me 10 minutes stopping for photos on my own and must have been the easiest air filter change I have done on a fast car ever. His comment about Alfa designing the wheel arch and turbulence etc. ill informed assumptions. The MPS4S is just 10 mm wider. My car is not lowered and has no spacers at the back. I know plenty of people running 295 in the UK and are very happy with the tyres for the performance it offers in real world conditions. The sidewall does look a little bulged but it's a compromise for confidence at all times. I thought long and hard about the GY F1SS but the feedback from a couple of people were slightly mixed so I decided to go with what I know and used first hand.

121 - 140 of 145 Posts