Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

81 - 100 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Guys i tracked the car last weekend with the corsa AR and i cant imagine a better tire on track for the QV. To the extent that when i finished i searched about the tire and discovered that it took pirelli 8 months to develop this tire sepicifically for the QV, and i didn't know that AR on the tire stands for Alfa romeo?.

https://www.pirelli.com/global/en-ww/road/alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-the-new-flagship-and-pirelli-p-zero-corsa

Did anyone track the qv with the corsa and tried another tire? If yes, what your feedback? Handling and grip? Btw i track in bahrain so its about 25 26c.

·
Registered
113 Posts
No rubbing. Tires fit well. 255 up front and 305 rears

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm a fan of aggressive OEM tires on performance cars - came on Evo, I'd expect the same on QV.

MP4S is an acceptable replacement tire as they are still capable of outstanding performance, while a little more friendly to daily-driving duty & overall longevity.

I still cringe when folks mention replacing OEM tires with suck-in-all-seasons. A car like the QV is worth the hassle of dedicated summer & winter wheel/tire sets! Plus, the car will perform better with tires designed to perform in appropriate temps (warm or cold).

Last, can't get behind the criticism of low-speed/full steering lock judder/scrubbing. This is characteristic of world-class steering/suspension geometry! Complaints like this get Alfa Romeo to raise OEM spring height from 2017 to current due to owners whining about scraping their front splitter! Man up and enjoy your sports sedan and realize there will be compromises! Or get the Stelvio QV, Ha!

We should he praising Alfa for staying the course & offering uncompromising performance vehicles. Look what happened to BMW for chasing sales & addressing owners who complained about twitchy steering & harsh rides!

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm a fan of aggressive OEM tires on performance cars - came on Evo, I'd expect the same on QV.

MP4S is an acceptable replacement tire as they are still capable of outstanding performance, while a little more friendly to daily-driving duty & overall longevity.

I still cringe when folks mention replacing OEM tires with suck-in-all-seasons. A car like the QV is worth the hassle of dedicated summer & winter wheel/tire sets! Plus, the car will perform better with tires designed to perform in appropriate temps (warm or cold).

Last, can't get behind the criticism of low-speed/full steering lock judder/scrubbing. This is characteristic of world-class steering/suspension geometry! Complaints like this get Alfa Romeo to raise OEM spring height from 2017 to current due to owners whining about scraping their front splitter! Man up and enjoy your sports sedan and realize there will be compromises! Or get the Stelvio QV, Ha!

We should he praising Alfa for staying the course & offering uncompromising performance vehicles. Look what happened to BMW for chasing sales & addressing owners who complained about twitchy steering & harsh rides!

I agree with your "pureism" comment but I have to disagree that the low speed cold performance is par for the course with performance tires/vehicles in general. There are plenty of high performance vehicles that that don't plow and bounce when trying to turn into a parking spot--threatening to slide into the vehicle in the spot over from you. Thankfully, a good set of high-performance, non-track tires fixes this issue.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts

In using Michelin AS3+’s as winter tires. I hate all seasons too but as winters for the QV they look like they’ll work. I’m not going to drive much at all in deep snow so I decided to avoid squishy winters and so far after about a week they seem really decent. The temps had been getting to the point where the corsa’s were getting terrible and squirrelly so back to back the AS3+’s feel great and pretty decently planted. The AS3+’s have a compound made for lower range temps and improved for light snow duty but still have a really high tread wear rating so much better than soft winters. So far they are feeling pretty good and don’t feel like they’ve destroyed turn- in and steering response. Also they seem to have zero chatter in full lock which is nice too. I’m not saying I don’t look forward to putting the corsa’s back on in the spring but I can take these deeper into the spring than I’d want with winters probably and save the corsa’s a bit more for the track...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Everyone seems to be upsizing when changing to PS4S

Most important factor for me has been the handling crispness/turn-in feel... and the Corsas have given me that. It is second to none.

So I cringe when I have to upsize a tire... and the feedback of added squishy-ness other members have been reporting.

Seems the only option for the QV for me is 245/35/19 fronts and 275/30/19 rears with the PS4S, or I have to go with the older Super Sports and stick with OEM rear size of 285/30/19.

Anyone ever go to the narrower rear tire with the PS4S?

·
Registered
3,555 Posts
Speeddoc thanks for those pics. With the bubbles I got on moth my fronts, the larger sizes seem really appealing. If only for a bit more sidewall to absorb the crap road edges and bridge cleats. And you are sure you get no rubbing at full lock left and right up front? With the 2018s there may be plenty of room with the new spring height.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've just gone MPS4S 255/35/19 upfront and 295/30/r19 rears and big thanks to Speedoc for his influence in my decision.

MY QV is the late 17 ride height model. I can confirm there is no rubbing at all on the fronts on full lock. But on the rears I am still questioning rubbing on the insides as the tyres are very close to the lining at the 10pm point. I see a couple of complaints are coming in about these but those that have upgraded still need to get their arm inside the tyre well just for peace of mind.

I agree about the crispness of the corsa's but for me the skipping when turning full lock was driving me mad, even last week my old corsa's were doing it in the UK and it is still 12c, and immediately switching to MPS4S that problem has gone away. It makes such a massive change to the driving experience, I used to cringe every time the corsas did it, I could see my wing mirrors absorbing the skip from the tyres. Also, the corsa's were terrible stone collectors. And let's talk about aesthetics, because the corsas looked **** fugly when worn down because of the soft rubber they were just pitted like crazy.

So there's a trade off here and I think the MPS4S tick all the right boxes for me. And let's not forget how amazingly the 295's look staggered on the rears, it is very pleasing to the eye trust me, there is no need for spacers on them bad boys. And going 255 up front they look the same as the old 245 corsas's fitted, I can't say I notice any tyre bulge.

For the record I managed to get 13k out of my 285 rear corsas down to 2.5mm, and 15k out of my fronts down to 3mm which is pretty good. But I am expecting the MPS4S to exceed this massively.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It may have already been posted but has anyone actually measured the Corsa vs. the MP4S? The tire fitment size does not denote the actual tires dimensions. If you measured a 295/30/19 from different manufactures they will not all share the same physical dimensions.

·
Registered
14 Posts
It may have already been posted but has anyone actually measured the Corsa vs. the MP4S? The tire fitment size does not denote the actual tires dimensions. If you measured a 295/30/19 from different manufactures they will not all share the same physical dimensions.
Can somebody measure their front & rear Corsa size please? I'd like to compare to my MPS4S and see if it's worth putting on 10mm spacers...thanks...

·
Registered
134 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
.2 taller inches if I read it right for the rear at 295/30/19 and the same for the 255/35/19 for the front. I think this is acceptable.
My Winters are same size as OEM and still I have larger speedo differences so what I'm saying is it's very hard to tell unfortunately

·
Registered
710 Posts
Last day of the Costco sale and since my state inspection is due, I went ahead a pulled the trigger. Car has just over 4k miles and last time it was in the shop for a software update it had just over 3k miles and two of the tires were at 30% and at the limit for NC. So, maybe I'll get 4,500 mile out of these tires.

If my state inspection was not due than I would probably wear them a bit longer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok, so I'm a hypocrite and joined the upsizing bandwagon.

Couln't stand spending money and having less physical treadwith AND less sticky compound tires. At least with upsizing the PS4S, I got less sticky compound but more treadwidth.

Upsized PS4S vs OEM Corsa treadwidth:

Fronts: 8.9" vs 8.8"
Rears: 11.1" vs. 10.4"

(info from Tire Rack)

255 Front looks perfect on the OEM 5-Hole rim. 295 Rears bulges out a bit too much for my taste, 275s would look better. Confirmed steering feel becomes a tad less direct with the added squishyness, it is what you'll have to sacrifice for more comfort, less noise, and more treadlife.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m upsizing my 2018 to the PS4S. Tire shop advised that the front 255/35/19s were rubbing in the wheel well and they’ve recommended and are putting on 255/30/19. They suggested that was a better solution that sticking with the stock 245/30 noting that going wider in the rear should be compensated with wider in the front as well. Did anyone else run into this on a 2018?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Supporting Vendor
570 Posts
I’m upsizing my 2018 to the PS4S. Tire shop advised that the front 255/35/19s were rubbing in the wheel well and they’ve recommended and are putting on 255/30/19. They suggested that was a better solution that sticking with the stock 245/30 noting that going wider in the rear should be compensated with wider in the front as well.

Have you tried adding a 5mm spacer in the front? I think that is a better solution than going to a slightly smaller tire to alleviate minor rubbing.

81 - 100 of 127 Posts