Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

61 - 80 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
I believe I've already shared that I've been impressed with wet traction and performance of MPS4S tires. No comparison to Corsa AR in that department. MPS4S are in another league.

Today finally I had a chance to drive ~100 miles on some of my favorite local back roads. The same roads that I have driven on Corsa AR tires in QV and where I've frequented with my prior cars such as BMW M3, 911 4S, Mini JCW etc.

I pushed the tires as hard as I normally do and I think while MPS4S are exceptional, at the very high cornerning limits MPS4S do not match Corsa AR tires. Corsa tires definitely outshine MPS4S at the very upper limits of the speeds and cornering performance spectrum. The highest speed I was comfortable pushing to was 8 mph lower than what I previously pushed Corsa AR tires to. Similarly, the speeds I carried in/out of some the swooping corners was at least 5 mph lower.

That said I am still extremely happy with my choice of 255/295 MPS4S setup. While these tires perhaps fall a bit short of Corsa's incredible topline performance, they outshine Corsa's in many other ways which make the vehicle more enjoyable for me on more days and under more conditions. So overall MPS4S 255/295 will be my personal choice, for the future, even with the knowledge that Corsa can deliver a bit more performance on the very top end.

As far as the discussion about turn-in and feeling. I suppose its a personal thing and my own personal opinion on this matter is that I had as much or more fun today, driving on my favorite local roads, as I ever had with Corsa AR. I could put the car exactly where I wanted - still the same sharp handling I've become so fond of over the last 11 months and 12K miles.

So - for me, MPS4S tires have not reduced my driving pleasure/enjoyment in any way and have infact made the car more tossable/enjoyable for me, even on days when I'd either leave QV in the garage or drive it with a lot of caution. When I was driving hard, the marvelous 2.9 litre QV engine was still singing all the way into the redline, the car was still feeling absolutely planted, I had the feeling of being alive and it did not matter to me that I was driving 8 mph slower.

Just thought I'd share my impressions.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I believe I've already shared that I've been impressed with wet traction and performance of MPS4S tires. No comparison to Corsa AR in that department. MPS4S are in another league.

Today finally I had a chance to drive ~100 miles on some of my favorite local back roads. The same roads that I have driven on Corsa AR tires in QV and where I've frequented with my prior cars such as BMW M3, 911 4S, Mini JCW etc.

I pushed the tires as hard as I normally do and I think while MPS4S are exceptional, at the very high cornerning limits MPS4S do not match Corsa AR tires. Corsa tires definitely outshine MPS4S at the very upper limits of the speeds and cornering performance spectrum. The highest speed I was comfortable pushing to was 8 mph lower than what I previously pushed Corsa AR tires to. Similarly, the speeds I carried in/out of some the swooping corners was at least 5 mph lower.

That said I am still extremely happy with my choice of 255/295 MPS4S setup. While these tires perhaps fall a bit short of Corsa's incredible topline performance, they outshine Corsa's in many other ways which make the vehicle more enjoyable for me on more days and under more conditions. So overall MPS4S 255/295 will be my personal choice, for the future, even with the knowledge that Corsa can deliver a bit more performance on the very top end.

As far as the discussion about turn-in and feeling. I suppose its a personal thing and my own personal opinion on this matter is that I had as much or more fun today, driving on my favorite local roads, as I ever had with Corsa AR. I could put the car exactly where I wanted - still the same sharp handling I've become so fond of over the last 11 months and 12K miles.

So - for me, MPS4S tires have not reduced my driving pleasure/enjoyment in any way and have infact made the car more tossable/enjoyable for me, even on days when I'd either leave QV in the garage or drive it with a lot of caution. When I was driving hard, the marvelous 2.9 litre QV engine was still singing all the way into the redline, the car was still feeling absolutely planted, I had the feeling of being alive and it did not matter to me that I was driving 8 mph slower.

Just thought I'd share my impressions.

Good feedback and that is probably the way I will go once I wear out my Corsas.

What size did you end up going with and do you still get the low speed tire chatter on tight turns?

·
Registered
710 Posts
255/295
No chatter.

Awesome! Thanks. What sidewall? Costco is sizing tires for my car differently so I need to pull the full tire size.

Edit: Never mind, I found it:
255/35/19
295/30/19

I was going to wait for these tires to wear out but with the cold weather approaching and the fact that I have 7-8k more miles till they wear out, I may just change them out or keep them for a track day.

Costco just finished their Michelin sale, but I will wait a couple weeks and it will pop up again.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I got 4S on my car and let me tell you best tires on the planet for performance driving and street use. Dont even get me started on how great the tread wear is lol

Amen to this! I’ve never experienced such a well-balanced street tire. Exceptional dry handling, solid in the wet and they simply don’t wear. Did fine at autocross too. I’ve run Pilot SS tires on my prior cars and the 4S is a step above. Running 245/35s at all four corners on my Ti Q4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes I will take pics of my tires. Really love the setup. Working well. Nice look, fit, and handling. Also, dont know if anybody else has experienced this, but the tire 'rubbing' feel and noise which gets attributed to Ackerman angle... that is gone. Haven't had it since I switched the fronts to the MPS4S setup. So what does that mean? Did the stock tires bunch up in the cold weather? Were there not optimally setup when the car was first put together??

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yes I will take pics of my tires. Really love the setup. Working well. Nice look, fit, and handling. Also, dont know if anybody else has experienced this, but the tire 'rubbing' feel and noise which gets attributed to Ackerman angle... that is gone. Haven't had it since I switched the fronts to the MPS4S setup. So what does that mean? Did the stock tires bunch up in the cold weather? Were there not optimally setup when the car was first put together??
As soon as the weather started to get cold (below 50F) I noticed that the tire scrubbing noise started with my Corsas. Also, they started to lose traction easily on acceleration, even in D mode. Switching to my set of Michelin A/S3 fixed both.

·
Registered
73 Posts
jamgolf, when you switched to the PS4s, did you happen to notice any difference in the behavior of your brakes? I just started a thread about my winter setup and I noticed immediately that the brakes became much easier to modulate after putting on the winter tires. Curious if you felt any difference when going from the Corsas to the PS4s. If yes, this would be another added benefit imo of switching out the Corsas.

·
Registered
710 Posts
As soon as the weather started to get cold (below 50F) I noticed that the tire scrubbing noise started with my Corsas. Also, they started to lose traction easily on acceleration, even in D mode. Switching to my set of Michelin A/S3 fixed both.

I can't wait to get a set. The Corsas are great for one thing only, they are a freaking terrible street tires. Right Now Bridgestones are on sale at Costco and I almost bought those as I used to run Potenza S04 which is a great tire but I will hold on and wait for the next Michelin sale. I bought my QV to drive my one-year-old to school and I don't need a tire that is scary in inclement weather.

jamgolf, when you switched to the PS4s, did you happen to notice any difference in the behavior of your brakes? I just started a thread about my winter setup and I noticed immediately that the brakes became much easier to modulate after putting on the winter tires. Curious if you felt any difference when going from the Corsas to the PS4s. If yes, this would be another added benefit imo of switching out the Corsas.

I'm still not getting this brake issue. It must vary by vehicle as my brakes are the best I ever had and the first feedback I got from my wife when she drove it was how awesome the brakes are.

·
Registered
113 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts

I can't wait to get a set. The Corsas are great for one thing only, they are a freaking terrible street tires. Right Now Bridgestones are on sale at Costco and I almost bought those as I used to run Potenza S04 which is a great tire but I will hold on and wait for the next Michelin sale. I bought my QV to drive my one-year-old to school and I don't need a tire that is scary in inclement weather.
I find the Corsas great street tires and have had no issues in the rain either. They are a far cry from “freaking terrible street tires”. I have done multiple long road trips including through twisting mountain roads and in the rain with no issues whatsoever. They do wear out relatively quickly. If your defintion of inclement weather includes cold weather then yeah the Corsas arent good in the cold.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I find the Corsas great street tires and have had no issues in the rain either. They are a far cry from “freaking terrible street tires”. I have done multiple long road trips including through twisting mountain roads and in the rain with no issues whatsoever. They do wear out relatively quickly. If your defintion of inclement weather includes cold weather then yeah the Corsas arent good in the cold.

In Switzerland you have real winters so I'm assuming that you have winter tires. I live in the southern U.S. where one set of tires is all you need all year. We may get one or two snows per year and I have a 4WD that works for that. Winter here is at right above or below freezing with some 70 degree (21 C) days thrown in.

With tread, the Corsas are fine in the rain. However, being that they wear so fast then you will get issues in the rain. For now they will do but in freezing rain...

Not to mention the low speed scrubbing which is downright irritating and makes people think your car is broken.

·
Registered
765 Posts

In Switzerland you have real winters so I'm assuming that you have winter tires. I live in the southern U.S. where one set of tires is all you need all year. We may get one or two snows per year and I have a 4WD that works for that. Winter here is at right above or below freezing with some 70 degree (21 C) days thrown in.

With tread, the Corsas are fine in the rain. However, being that they wear so fast then you will get issues in the rain. For now they will do but in freezing rain...

Not to mention the low speed scrubbing which is downright irritating and makes people think your car is broken.
So to be fair to the Corsas, not too many ultra high performance summer tires would be good for where you live if you only want one set of tires and you don’t really need a tire as high performing as the Corsas to drive your child around in. The low speed noise is attributable to the stickiness of the tires combined with the geometry of the car and is fairly easy to avoid after you have experienced it a few times - ie no full lock. Would you go for the PS4Ss or would an all season be better in your circumstances?

·
Registered
710 Posts
So to be fair to the Corsas, not too many ultra high performance summer tires would be good for where you live if you only want one set of tires and you don’t really need a tire as high performing as the Corsas to drive your child around in. The low speed noise is attributable to the stickiness of the tires combined with the geometry of the car and is fairly easy to avoid after you have experienced it a few times - ie no full lock. Would you go for the PS4Ss or would an all season be better in your circumstances?

I have had Brindgestone Potenza S-04 on my Porsches that I used year round with no issues so I'm sure the Michelins will also be fine.

Unfortunately, I use full lock every day getting onto my garage but find that I often use it as gas stations to get around cars and sometimes in tight parking spots. It doesn't bother me too much but drives my wife crazy. The Corsas also take longer to warm up which means a lot of wheel spin on cool mornings when I'm simply trying to drive my daughter to school and accelerate into gaps in traffic. It is not a tire that is optimized for the street. Canyon carving and mountain road driving--it is close to perfect.

I need a tire that does it all as I like to go for spirited drives when it is just me and there are a lot of good back roads around here. The PS4S is probably currently the best performance street tire out there and that's what I'm going with.

·
Registered
260 Posts
wow, so that noise *is* really just the tires. I kept thinking I was turning the tires over small rocks or acorns or something as I'm pulling out of my garage (my garage entrances are 90-degree to the driveway (my wife gets the 2 easy spots...)) and that I'm "rolling" over stuff. I guess I can stop sweeping the driveway so often now.

·
Registered
765 Posts
wow, so that noise *is* really just the tires. I kept thinking I was turning the tires over small rocks or acorns or something as I'm pulling out of my garage (my garage entrances are 90-degree to the driveway (my wife gets the 2 easy spots...)) and that I'm "rolling" over stuff. I guess I can stop sweeping the driveway so often now.
Mostly the steering geometry of the car but I found it is more noticeable with stickier tires. Eg my winters don’t do it often.

·
Registered
27 Posts
We are getting 40F temps where I live now. I rarely drive, work from home, only have 4k miles on my car, but the UTTER RUBBISH performance of these Corsa tires in this weather, the scrubbing noises in parking lots, etc make me wonder whether I can tolerate a winter with these tires even though I might have 3-5k more miles of life on them.

Question is, do I just throw the Corsas in the trash now for some PS4S or wait out one winter with these? Not a fan of winter tires, we rarely get much snow here and the constant mounting/unmounting of tires is an expensive and potentially cosmetically dangerous endeavor.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
We are getting 40F temps where I live now. I rarely drive, work from home, only have 4k miles on my car, but the UTTER RUBBISH performance of these Corsa tires in this weather, the scrubbing noises in parking lots, etc make me wonder whether I can tolerate a winter with these tires even though I might have 3-5k more miles of life on them.

Question is, do I just throw the Corsas in the trash now for some PS4S or wait out one winter with these? Not a fan of winter tires, we rarely get much snow here and the constant mounting/unmounting of tires is an expensive and potentially cosmetically dangerous endeavor.
Depends where you live. If it only drops to the low 40’s you might be able to get away with them but if you’re looking at ever going into the 30’s and 20’s no way. All high performance summers start to harden under 50° and become unsafe. Corsa’s may be worse than some but driving on summers when it’s below freezing can lead to cracking the tire compound and they are trash after that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi Guys,

I'm part way through upgrading to MPS4S, my rears are fitted with MPS4S 295's now. Those that have gone up a size or two, have you noticed any wheel arch liner rubbing? This has been mentioned in the UK forum today. I put my arm inside my rear wheels today and felt around the back, at the 2'oclock position as your facing the tyre it is very close to the wheel arch liner, have you noticed this?

Also, what about going 255's upfront same problem? I checked my fronts and there is very little clearance from the 245 corsa's I still have on mine, and I'm having MPS4s 255's fitted tomorrow. I'll ask the tyre fitter to check the clearance when I am there.

BTW, the reason I only changed my rears was because my front Corsa's still had 4mm on them.

61 - 80 of 127 Posts