Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got 10.5K miles on the stock Corsa tires, so its time to get a new set. I have been generally quite happy with the Corsa AR tires and the way they make the car feel and handle. I would not hesitate to get them again. But changing tires every 8-11K miles seems a bit wasteful. I don't track the car but love to drive hard whenever I find any open back roads or some twisties. Drag racing, burnouts or donuts is not my thing. I do like brisk acceleration from traffic lights, though :)

I really just want to get the opinions of those that have switched to MPS4S (255 front and 295 rear). How do you feel about the switch? Does the car's handling degrade in any way? Does it feel bumpier or more squishy? How does it feel in high-speed cornering or twisties?

For reference, I've had Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on prior cars (911 4S and BMW M3). I was not overly impressed by either their performance or their wear. I replaced MPSS sets on both cars around 15-18K miles. But everyone swears by the MPS4S tires and they are a big improvement over MPSS - hence the question.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
While I do not have first hand experience with these tires, Car and Driver magazine tested these five tires back in August of 2017.
Listed in order of final results:
Michelin PS4S
Conti Extreme Contact Sport
Pirelli P Zero
Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2
Good Year Eagle F1 Aysmmetric 3
The Michelin won the Dry Performance catagory.
The Conti won the Wet Performance catagory.
The Pirelli won the Real World catagory.
Good luck with your decision.
Please post your opinions after you purchase.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good question, and one which I unfortunately cannot answer - yet! My Corsas only have 4000 km on them, but as I live in a climate where spring and summer tend to be rainy, and as I use my QF mostly for motorway duties, I will without a doubt go the Michelin 4S route when replacing the Corsas for improved wet weather performance as well as wear, and will go for 255/295 as well.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I am very interested to hear thoughts on this also. I am considering the 4S as well. Looking forward to hearing opinions.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I too am planning to use the Michelin based on past performance on other cars. There is also a run flat option for these tires. As anyone had experience with run flats that they can share. Seems like a practical option since we do not have a spare.

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
I am in the same boat at the OP. One additional question is whether the larger set up with the Michelins 255s and 295s affects the speedo much. I believe the Michelins are available in the original 245 size as well. Not sure if putting 245 up fron but upsizing to 295 on the rear affects things much.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I got 4S on my car and let me tell you best tires on the planet for performance driving and street use. Dont even get me started on how great the tread wear is lol
Thanks for your input.
Would you please elaborate a bit ...
How do you compare them to Corsa AR in terms of handling and cornering?
Do they feel stiffer or softer?
Do they offer more, less or same amout of traction launching from 0mph?
I remember reading some where that MPS4S felt less planted and more jiggly/jittery compared to Corsas.
Your thoughts?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I traded my BMW M5 (F10) for my Giulia and pretty much the only tires people were putting on the M5 was the 4S when they came out. If I needed new tires, they'd be my only choice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for your input.
Would you please elaborate a bit ...
How do you compare them to Corsa AR in terms of handling and cornering?
Do they feel stiffer or sifter?
Do they offer more, less or same amout of traction launching from 0mph?
I remember reading some where that MPS4S felt less planted and more jiggly/jittery compared to Corsas.
Your thoughts?
I have Kumho Ecsta PS91 255/35 Front 295/30 rear. Really a fantastic tire. I have 6 track days on them and they are much better than the stock tires. I paid $900 for all 4 from tirerack. I also have 1 track day in the wet and they are fantastic. The side wall is much stiffer giving you a sharper turn in and from a dig in race mode it dead hooks. I really could careless about the price of tires but I wanted to try something different and they are a great buy. I killed my stock tires at 2000miles and have around 4000 miles on the PS91s and I love them. You would think they suck but FYI Kumho makes the tires for the ACR. Great buy already bought a second set.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've had MPS4s on my QV for about 8 months. I'll admit they do feel a bit softer/less crisp than the Corsas, but the difference is small. With about 7k miles on the MPS4s, I expect the rears will last another 14k, and the fronts even longer. With infinite money, I'd stick with the Corsas, but for a really great price/perf ratio, I'll be going with the MPS4s again when these eventually wear out.

Also, note that the MPS4s don't (didn't?) come in the correct size for the rear. I ended up going with 295 section. The do look ever so slightly ballooned on the sidewall. I wonder if that has something to do with the slight downgrade in crispness.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think it depends how you drive. I bought the 4s when my tyres needed replacing as my gf was going to be using my car in the winter occasionally and the corsa's are dicey in the wet until they're warm. I put about 1500 miles on the 4s and then my gf bought a bigger car so didn't need to use mine, I then switched back to the corsa's. The 4s are as good as the corsa's if not better 95% of the time, it's when your right on the limit that the corsa's come into their own, I'm a lot more confident in the dry on corsa's. If you drive quite hard you'll notice the 4s feel 'spongier', not massively but it's definitely noticeable, and ultimately I found they will let go sooner at the limit.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it's when your right on the limit that the corsa's come into their own, I'm a lot more confident in the dry on corsa's. If you drive quite hard you'll notice the 4s feel 'spongier', not massively but it's definitely noticeable, and ultimately I found they will let go sooner at the limit.
Thanks a lot for the feedback.
This is exactly the kind of firsthand user input I am seeking.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With infinite money, I'd stick with the Corsas, but for a really great price/perf ratio, I'll be going with the MPS4s again when these eventually wear out.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Also, note that the MPS4s don't (didn't?) come in the correct size for the rear. I ended up going with 295 section. The do look ever so slightly ballooned on the sidewall. I wonder if that has something to do with the slight downgrade in crispness.
Yeah. 285/30R19 size is still not available.
But going 295 rear and 255 front can probably provide better traction.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts