Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Owner of 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Q4 here. Has anyone on these forums experience a faint and somewhat muffled metallic thudding sound when going over speed bumps? It seems more pronounced from the front left of the vehicle. If so, is this normal or something that requires service?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
It could be your end links. They can twang a bit depending on the sway bar and control arm angle. Or a bushing could be shot. Hit any potholes lately? Not 100% sure about the new Alfa suspension. I know the rear is new cutting edge design. "Alfalink."

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It could be your end links. They can twang a bit depending on the sway bar and control arm angle. Or a bushing could be shot. Hit any potholes lately? Not 100% sure about the new Alfa suspension. I know the rear is new cutting edge design. "Alfalink."
I haven't hit any potholes lately but it is a bit strange that it's more noticeable from one wheel of the vehicle. Definitely sounds like a faint "twang" or "pang" kind of sound. Is there any way for me to tell whether it's an issue that needs to be serviced short of taking it to the dealer for the hundredth time?

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,715 Posts
Hi,

Owner of 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Q4 here. Has anyone on these forums experience a faint and somewhat muffled metallic thudding sound when going over speed bumps? It seems more pronounced from the front left of the vehicle. If so, is this normal or something that requires service?

Thanks
Do you have the "active suspension" option and if so, what driving mode are you using? Could you be hearing the "active suspension" doing its job?

OTOH, from the Alfa video on the suspension it looks like the upward travel stop on the front suspension is the front spring (i.e. no rubber bump stop). Are you hitting the speed bumps hard enough that the suspension might be fully compressed and you are hearing the sound of a metallic travel stop?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I haven't hit any potholes lately but it is a bit strange that it's more noticeable from one wheel of the vehicle. Definitely sounds like a faint "twang" or "pang" kind of sound. Is there any way for me to tell whether it's an issue that needs to be serviced short of taking it to the dealer for the hundredth time?
Do you have a jack and stands? Maybe there is some preload on the springs or sway bars. Or maybe the springs themselves if there is no bump stop, or they are twisting on the perch. If you can lift the car, unload the suspension and set it back down again slowly. Just a guess really. Worst case scenario, the ball joints are shot if they used chrome plated mild steel like on the Ferrari 360. They can dent crack and get loose. The slop sounds like thunks and clunks but not really twangs. You can hear it from the glove box and dash. Also, the end link boots might be torn allowing contaminants and corrosion in the joint. This will bind up and cause spotty movement in the sway bars, leading to twangs. If you can lift the car, look for the tiny links with a ball joint at each end, connecting the control arm to the sway bar. The boots on my stock ones are 17 years old and I saw how perished they were under the car painting the past month. I need to grease them too.

It could be bad bushings from the factory. Bummer.

·
Banned
391 Posts
Have same condition. Q4 2017... at new to me...clunk over jarring / sharp road conditions like speed bump or pothole. Read about similar complaint Diag Ed as radiator support and bushings. Kinda crazy but worked in auto service repair biz for 40 years. Anyone else w this condition?

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Veloce Ti, 2015 4C LE, 1998 916 GTV Spider, 2019 Civic Type R
116 Posts
To flog a dead thread... quite a few cars here have a similar issue once they get to about 40,000km. Been told that by the dealer that it’s “normal” for these cars and that Alfa is looking into it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts