Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's something I can't find in the User Manual
If I connect a 12V battery charger to the jump starting connections in the engine bay, will it keep the car powered up when I disconnect the battery to clean the posts or even swap it out for a better AGM battery?
I don't want to have to deal with the hit or miss reset procedures as described in several other posts. It just does not seem to be simple and consistent. I watched a YouTube of someone trying to reset the lights by doing ten start button pushes in a row. It took him at least three tries on what we saw in the video, but who know what else happened as well.

Reactions: Papa Gallo

·
Registered
189 Posts
If I connect a 12V battery charger to the jump starting connections in the engine bay, will it keep the car powered up when I disconnect the battery to clean the posts or even swap it out for a better AGM battery?
I don't want to have to deal with the hit or miss reset procedures as described in several other posts. It just does not seem to be simple and consistent. I watched a YouTube of someone trying to reset the lights by doing ten start button pushes in a row. It took him at least three tries on what we saw in the video, but who know what else happened as well.
I disconnect the battery by unplugging the negative post all the time when I do work on the car. Plug it back in, calibrate the steering wheel and all the lights go away as soon as I start driving the car. I hope this gives you a little peace of mind.
Cheers.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,325 Posts
that is what he is trying to avoid - the hit and miss nature of it all

Alexor, i dont know if a battery memory saver is the same as a battery charger though

·
Registered
189 Posts

Alexor, i dont know if a battery memory saver is the same as a battery charger though
I realize that, I was trying to give him some encouragement to not fear a few lights on the dashboard. All good.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

I appreciate that. A memory saver simply keeps the voltage flowing at 12V while you disconnect the battery. I think intuitively a battery charger piping 12V to the car via the hood posts should do the same thing. As to fearing the lights. Not really, it's just a PITA to sometimes have to go through what is essentially a really stupid design.
I've had lots of Ferraris (and other older Benzes, Jags and even an Aston DB4GT) that had battery disconnect switches so that the battery would not run down while sitting idle. Those cars never had issues starting right up again without any faults when the battery was switched back on again.
A real simple solution would be to have a small subsidiary rechargeable battery in the system that kept the car electronics alive while a main battery was disconnected.

·
Registered
234 Posts
to be safe though, and avoid those nasty surprises, a memory saver isnt that expensive or complicated

SCA Memory Minder - 9V

not sure if that does anything other than radio presets
Maybe that would work but the problems I see with that unit are: 1) Some vehicles cut power to the aux power outlet (the part previously known as a cigarette lighter plug) when turned off or shortly thereafter - so you may be powering nothing. 2) I'd make damn sure to wait long enough for everything that needs to power down does before disconnecting the car battery - and you don't open a door/trunk or do anything else that 'wakes' up any system. I doubt a 9v battery will be looked upon kindly by modern controllers expecting 12v-14v. Nor would it last very long.
If it were me, I'd get one of those that plug directly into the OBD2 port and connect that to a jump pack/another vehicle battery/charger, etc.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I'd also be very carefull hooking up one of the modern battery chargers without an actual battery connected...... No idea what the output voltage would do.
It will probably not even start up, and give an error
Some of the chargers have a special setting to enable use as a power supply though

·
Registered
683 Posts
it's better to deal with reset procedure than some short circuited module while cleaning live terminals.

there is nothing to reset procedure - start car, turn steering all the way to the left , all the way to the right, back to the middle. switch ignition OFF. back ON and you're good to go.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,927 Posts
it's better to deal with reset procedure than some short circuited module while cleaning live terminals.

there is nothing to reset procedure - start car, turn steering all the way to the left , all the way to the right, back to the middle. switch ignition OFF. back ON and you're good to go.
I’m surprised we’re being instructed to turn the steering to its extremes with the car stationary. Isn’t that still a no-no?

·
Registered
683 Posts
I’m surprised we’re being instructed to turn the steering to its extremes with the car stationary. Isn’t that still a no-no?
when it was no-no?
without power steering it was recommended to roll car because it's easier to turn steering wheel that way. try to parallel park 4C for example ;)
with hydraulic steering it's not recommended to hold it fully locked for long time. not sure what it is meant by long time but some manuals require to hold it locked for 10-15 seconds when bleeding system so once again when you hold steering so long.
as with Giulia and most modern cars with electric steering it doesn't really care.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

So it's left first, then right? I've seen descriptions starting on the right? Does it matter which side goes first?
If it is that easy I'll switch out all three batteries in our Alfas this weekend

·
Registered
683 Posts
So it's left first, then right? I've seen descriptions starting on the right? Does it matter which side goes first?
If it is that easy I'll switch out all three batteries in our Alfas this weekend
just tested on car. doesn't matter which way you turn first - works both ways.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
As said, doesn't matter. Here's the official description from the use manual :

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Miss? It's been a hit for me EVERYTIME, it's not hard to do.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe that would work but the problems I see with that unit are: 1) Some vehicles cut power to the aux power outlet (the part previously known as a cigarette lighter plug) when turned off or shortly thereafter - so you may be powering nothing. 2) I'd make damn sure to wait long enough for everything that needs to power down does before disconnecting the car battery - and you don't open a door/trunk or do anything else that 'wakes' up any system. I doubt a 9v battery will be looked upon kindly by modern controllers expecting 12v-14v. Nor would it last very long.
If it were me, I'd get one of those that plug directly into the OBD2 port and connect that to a jump pack/another vehicle battery/charger, etc.
In my Quad and I expect all current Alfas the power to the 12v socket is switched off when the car is not running.

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,894 Posts
I never have a problem with the codes after disconnecting the battery. I just reconnect, get in, start up, turn wheel lock to lock, go back to center, turn off. sit 30 seconds. turn on, drive away, no issues.

Reactions: Alexor Iosip

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,004 Posts
As said, doesn't matter. Here's the official description from the use manual :
Is this also the same procedure if the battery dies and is jumped? When my battery died last year, I had it jumped, then got the Christmas lights; I ended up driving for an hour to charge the battery before turning the wheel lock to lock and restarting 3 times. Then finally the codes cleared. I wonder if I should have done lock to lock first and avoided driving with all the lights on

1 - 20 of 23 Posts