Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So on this rainy day in NJ I decided since no cd player in the car and I have a ton I figured I could burn some songs on a USB drive. After putting 10 songs on it I said to myself, self before I continue let me see if the port on the dashboard will play them well it doesn't and not the one in the armrest either. So my question is 1, should it work and 2 if someone has tried this and is there some setting I should change.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have a USB drive plugged into the port under the center of the dashboard, and that works. In the menu, select Media, then Source. One of the options should look like the USB symbol. I'm fairly sure that it only works for the center dashboard port, not the one in the armrest... I did try that one.

Maybe check out the USB drive on your PC/laptop, just to make sure that it's formatted correctly, and will enable music files to play.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I would think ipod type devices would work. but would media player?

I have a USB drive plugged into the port under the center of the dashboard, and that works. In the menu, select Media, then Source. One of the options should look like the USB symbol. I'm fairly sure that it only works for the center dashboard port, not the one in the armrest... I did try that one.

Maybe check out the USB drive on your PC/laptop, just to make sure that it's formatted correctly, and will enable music files to play.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I'm using a 16GB USB, Format FAT32, mp3 at 320.
about 12GB music on it, folders or root works.
Low profile so it does not stick out, works in either port in car, even does playlist.

·
Registered
'17 Ti Sport Q4 w/ Active Shocks & LSD
805 Posts
What didn’t work for me, and what did

So on this rainy day in NJ I decided since no cd player in the car and I have a ton I figured I could burn some songs on a USB drive. After putting 10 songs on it I said to myself, self before I continue let me see if the port on the dashboard will play them well it doesn't and not the one in the armrest either. So my question is 1, should it work and 2 if someone has tried this and is there some setting I should change.
I am an audiophile (kinda sorta) with big interest in digital media and HD audio from my home system and a Fiio digital media player with a pretty big 450GB library, mostly ripped using iTunes to “Apple Lossless” called ALAC and sometimes MP4. Have also used DBPowerAmp and PerfectTunes to format convert and add album art recently. Will probably stop ripping with iTunes, cuz it does some stupid stuff like not importing Album art if I didn’t buy from Apple Music store, which sucks.

OK, had a bit of a learning curve with this too, and found out this:

0) Both in-console USB (I have a 2017, with a single USB, not the dual 2018 model) and Front dash USB are good to play, while the back seat USB is charge only, as is listed in the owner’s manual.

1) Alfa is not able to play ALAC/MP4 natively, although it shows the title name, but cannot play it.
2) Once converted to FLAC (for lossless sources), WAV or MP3, all is right with the world
3) FAT32 and NTFS formats work just fine. Might be some size limitation to FAT32. I don’t know, cuz for any stick > 4GB I use NTFS. I have used 8GB-64GB without issues formatted NTFS.
4) Normal directory structure, where {Drive}:/<artist name>/<album>/<audiofile.{flac, mp3, wav, etc.} will parse by the librarian, and sort by Title, Artist, etc.
5) Media > USB on Infotainment (bottom of selection menu) to select source away from Blutooth, as I run my iPhone with Spotify/Apple Tunes too. My audio will remain selected, after I select source
6) Corrupt USB sticks, often caused by not ejecting them from the system and just unplugging them, when you put your tunes on them, are not recognized by the Infotainment USB librarian, and do not throw errors — they just don’t appear

A safe way to ensure you’ve got good tunes would be to follow this protocol on your PC/MAC to prep a stick (or a disk drive, for that matter):

a) Plug in your USB stick to your laptop/Mac
b) Format the stick with “Quick format, NTFS, default settings, put a Label on the media”. Allow the format to complete, and confirm you can see it as a drive.
c) Copy your tunes (and if in artist/album directory structure, just copy it from your sources so you see the artist names at the root of the USB drive. Don’t copy parent directory above the artist name — not sure if this really matters, but that’s what I do.) onto the newly formatted stick.
d) Eject the stick/drive and confirm that it disappears from system after it is ejected
e) take it to your Car and plug and (hopefully) play.

You know you’ve got things working if you see media take a moment to digest the media, and then you can navigate artist, album, cut, etc. If still no workee, check your infotainment software version and give us another post on this Thread. I find FLAC lossless to give me best quality, although sometimes load times have a pause when HD (>44.1k samples, 16bit) sources are used. Some 192k/24bit sources take an additional 2-3 seconds to queue up on the first song selected, after which tracks queue without delay.

Doublecheck that the USB port charges your phone, to confirm that there is no disconnection or failure. If USB doesn’t charge, no way it will play a USB source.

Hope to help,

·
Registered
240 Posts
I just got a 2019 QV and I can see that the USB stick, which I put in the center console--32 GB Samsung, very short, basically just the plastic end is sticking out--does work, but only for about 6 of the maybe 50 selections not formatted in AIFF, as I previously used it in a Cadillac CTS-V, which would not play wav, only AIFF, and FLAC, I believe, for lossless files, so I actually had to convert the wav I store them in to AIFF, but now I guess I'll have to reload them in wav.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I just got a 2019 QV and I can see that the USB stick, which I put in the center console--32 GB Samsung, very short, basically just the plastic end is sticking out--does work, but only for about 6 of the maybe 50 selections not formatted in AIFF, as I previously used it in a Cadillac CTS-V, which would not play wav, only AIFF, and FLAC, I believe, for lossless files, so I actually had to convert the wav I store them in to AIFF, but now I guess I'll have to reload them in wav.

I use flac and mp3 at 320 fixed rate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have you ever seen a situation where some songs/albums on a usb stick are not detected?
2020 ti sport
I have a 64 G sandisk thumbdrive with about 56G of (mostly) mp3s on it. some albums just are not found by the infotainment system, and I can't figure out why. it is formatted FAT32 MBR. the albums that aren't found are no different that the ones that are. I just went through the exercise of updating the tags on the mp3s with mp3tag so I could add album art and in the hopes that maybe the tags are messed up, but it made no difference. note that the albums are not found whether or not I browse by artist, album, or folder.

any help would be greatly appreciated

What didn’t work for me, and what did

I am an audiophile (kinda sorta) with big interest in digital media and HD audio from my home system and a Fiio digital media player with a pretty big 450GB library, mostly ripped using iTunes to “Apple Lossless” called ALAC and sometimes MP4. Have also used DBPowerAmp and PerfectTunes to format convert and add album art recently. Will probably stop ripping with iTunes, cuz it does some stupid stuff like not importing Album art if I didn’t buy from Apple Music store, which sucks.

OK, had a bit of a learning curve with this too, and found out this:

0) Both in-console USB (I have a 2017, with a single USB, not the dual 2018 model) and Front dash USB are good to play, while the back seat USB is charge only, as is listed in the owner’s manual.

1) Alfa is not able to play ALAC/MP4 natively, although it shows the title name, but cannot play it.
2) Once converted to FLAC (for lossless sources), WAV or MP3, all is right with the world
3) FAT32 and NTFS formats work just fine. Might be some size limitation to FAT32. I don’t know, cuz for any stick > 4GB I use NTFS. I have used 8GB-64GB without issues formatted NTFS.
4) Normal directory structure, where {Drive}:/<artist name>/<album>/<audiofile.{flac, mp3, wav, etc.} will parse by the librarian, and sort by Title, Artist, etc.
5) Media > USB on Infotainment (bottom of selection menu) to select source away from Blutooth, as I run my iPhone with Spotify/Apple Tunes too. My audio will remain selected, after I select source
6) Corrupt USB sticks, often caused by not ejecting them from the system and just unplugging them, when you put your tunes on them, are not recognized by the Infotainment USB librarian, and do not throw errors — they just don’t appear

A safe way to ensure you’ve got good tunes would be to follow this protocol on your PC/MAC to prep a stick (or a disk drive, for that matter):

a) Plug in your USB stick to your laptop/Mac
b) Format the stick with “Quick format, NTFS, default settings, put a Label on the media”. Allow the format to complete, and confirm you can see it as a drive.
c) Copy your tunes (and if in artist/album directory structure, just copy it from your sources so you see the artist names at the root of the USB drive. Don’t copy parent directory above the artist name — not sure if this really matters, but that’s what I do.) onto the newly formatted stick.
d) Eject the stick/drive and confirm that it disappears from system after it is ejected
e) take it to your Car and plug and (hopefully) play.

You know you’ve got things working if you see media take a moment to digest the media, and then you can navigate artist, album, cut, etc. If still no workee, check your infotainment software version and give us another post on this Thread. I find FLAC lossless to give me best quality, although sometimes load times have a pause when HD (>44.1k samples, 16bit) sources are used. Some 192k/24bit sources take an additional 2-3 seconds to queue up on the first song selected, after which tracks queue without delay.

Doublecheck that the USB port charges your phone, to confirm that there is no disconnection or failure. If USB doesn’t charge, no way it will play a USB source.

Hope to help,

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Have you ever seen a situation where some songs/albums on a usb stick are not detected?
2020 ti sport
I have a 64 G sandisk thumbdrive with about 56G of (mostly) mp3s on it. some albums just are not found by the infotainment system, and I can't figure out why. it is formatted FAT32 MBR. the albums that aren't found are no different that the ones that are. I just went through the exercise of updating the tags on the mp3s with mp3tag so I could add album art and in the hopes that maybe the tags are messed up, but it made no difference. note that the albums are not found whether or not I browse by artist, album, or folder.

Did you look under “The”? That’s where I find 1/2 the artists from my iPod because of how the Car unit indexes!!!

Just kidding, l am sure yours is a different issue, but that’s my pet peeve.

·
Registered
190 Posts
2020 ti sport

Search is your friend.

USB Memory Stick Limitations | Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum (giuliaforums.com)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts