Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Anyone know what the "Q" stands for in "Q4"?

I'm guessing it is an Italian word for AWD like "Quadrawheelio" 0:)
uhhh nope:grin2:
technically, in Italian all wheel drive is "trazione integrale"...but that's proper/formal/literal translation...but most just say Quattro...

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The Q4 moniker was originally introduced in 1992 on the 155 Q4, and on the badge the Q was stylized as a cloverleaf, so it meant Quadrifoglio 4, even though the official name is just Q4 (Qu Quattro - Ku Kwattro).

The same badge was also used on the 164 Q4 and on the 33 Q4 (from 1994: before that, the AWD 33 was called the Permanent 4).

The denomination was later used on the 156 Sportwagon Q4 and Crosswagon Q4, and on the AWD versions of the 939/946 family (159, 159 Sportwagon, Brera and Spider), without any cloverleaf connotation. The same applies to Giulia and Stelvio, as you all know.

Q2, on the other hand, was first used in 2006 on versions of the 147 and GT equipped with a Torsen differential. Later models (>2008 159/Brera/Spider, MiTo, Giulietta) got the Electronic Q2 name to describe the Torque Transfer Control function of the ABS/ESP unit. Plain Q2 denomination was picked up again for the Giulias equipped with the mechanical limited slip differential.

It should be mentioned that Alfa has a history of using marketing namex prefixed by Q for versions or features. e.g. the automatic gearbox on the 159/Brera/Spider was called Q-Tronic, the 4-speed auto box with a peculiar H-pattern selector available on the 156 2.5 V6 was called Q-System, and the robotized gearbox in the 8C Competizione/8C Spider was called Q-Select.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, interesting info.

I suspect that some people seeing a Q4 badge on a 2.0L car are going to assume it's an AWD Quadrifoglio.

Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
189 Posts
Anyone know what the "Q" stands for in "Q4"?

I'm guessing it is an Italian word for AWD like "Quadrawheelio" 0:)
unfortunately, in my view, it is a nod to Q as in Quattro - lazy and confusing marketing from Alfa in this case - they needed to come up with a better naming scheme for AWD versions

·
Supporting Vendor
691 Posts
The Q4 moniker was originally introduced in 1992 on the 155 Q4, and on the badge the Q was stylized as a cloverleaf, so it meant Quadrifoglio 4, even though the official name is just Q4 (Qu Quattro - Ku Kwattro).
The 155 Q4 was an amazing car, it's a shame we did not get them in the US. In many ways, it was a Delta Integrale with Alfa bodywork.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,441 Posts
Without understanding the significance of the "Q", Q4 seems redundant redundant and Q2 seems nonsensical.

Reactions: AlfaAndy

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
On the 4C, Alfa used Q2 for the pseudo limited slip in it. It's a traction control system that dabs a single brake in lieu of an actual LSD. 'Q2' is the name of the electronic traction control system.

The Giulia Ti Q2 (RWD) on the other hand, has a real LSD and the none Q2 has a brake dabbing system.
The Giulia Ti Q4 (AWD) is pretty much the same thing. My unanswered question is: "Does the Q4 have an LSD on the front axle?"

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
On the 4C, it's "Electronic Q2", or "eQ2". The plain Q2 denomination has only been used to define mechanical LSDs.

Q4 does not imply the presence of Q2: the rear LSD is optional on the Q4 as well. And no, no front LSD. The front differential is open.

·
Registered
647 Posts
The Q4 on my new 2017 Giulia AWD, designates the AWD on my base model Giulia. I can only presume the Q stand for "quad" --- as in 4/all wheel drive. Whoops! I see a Q2 designation also, so there goes my quad thought.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The 155 Q4 was an amazing car, it's a shame we did not get them in the US. In many ways, it was a Delta Integrale with Alfa bodywork.
It was a Delta Integrale 16v powertrain on a Fiat Tipo Tempra body with Alfa Romeo bodywork :) I loved this bodywork though (mine was not Q4).

·
Registered
501 Posts
I initially thought the Q designation was because Alfa perhaps was borrowing from Maserati's all-wheel drive system, since I've seen the same Q4 badge on Ghiblis and Quattroportes.

·
Registered
691 Posts
But why the 'V'?
Verde....it's a heritage of Alfa that the performance trim is the Verde. Verde is green in Italian so I think of it as four leaf green....IE clover.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
It was a Delta Integrale 16v powertrain on a Fiat Tipo Tempra body with Alfa Romeo bodywork :) I loved this bodywork though (mine was not Q4).
That wonderful Lancia engine in a body that you couldn’t hear rust in any rain, sign me up! I’m not sure how much better an Alfa body was back then, but it had to be better than Lancia.

Reactions: kika
1 - 20 of 22 Posts