Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might or might not have happened last night.

Fairly open stretch of state highway, two lanes going each direction, large median between.

Cruising around-about the speed limit, minding my own business in the right lane.

Subaru WRX with the big honkin' fin pulls up beside me, menacingly pulling a little bit ahead of me and then back even with me.

My first thought: I believe this young buck wants to have a go! :grin2:

So let him stew for a few more seconds, to see if he wanders off, but no, he stays.

So I flip to "[email protected]" mode and give the pedal a bit of a goose.

He gets on his machine, so I give it a little more goose. Perhaps, all the goose?

I leave him behind pretty significantly for about an 1/8th of a mile to make my point, and then return to more legal speeds.

He goes on down the road, probably headed home to Google why he wanted to engage in this contest. :)

Did this happen, or was it just in my imagination? Only The Shadow knows.

·
Registered
641 Posts
This might or might not have happened last night.

Fairly open stretch of state highway, two lanes going each direction, large median between.

Cruising around-about the speed limit, minding my own business in the right lane.

Subaru WRX with the big honkin' fin pulls up beside me, menacingly pulling a little bit ahead of me and then back even with me.

My first thought: I believe this young buck wants to have a go!

So let him stew for a few more seconds, to see if he wanders off, but no, he stays.

So I flip to "[email protected]" mode and give the pedal a bit of a goose.

He gets on his machine, so I give it a little more goose. Perhaps, all the goose?

I leave him behind pretty significantly for about an 1/8th of a mile to make my point, and then return to more legal speeds.

He goes on down the road, probably headed home to Google why he wanted to engage in this contest.

Did this happen, or was it just in my imagination? Only The Shadow knows.
Oh it happened all right! Sounds like an STI based on the big fin. 4.6 0-60 for the fastest version. Seems few like to race more than WRX boys

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
This reminds me of the old Warner Brothers cartoons with the little Jack Russel Terrier puppy and Spike the Bulldog. "Wathca' doin' Spike, huh, huh? Whatcha doin"? (all high strung and uppity) "This is my buddy Spike, he's my hero!" Spike answers, [SMACK!] Ahhh shadddup!"

update... I was pretty close:

Reactions: larrysing

·
Registered
641 Posts
Challenges I've experienced in the past two weeks:

1. Souped up 370Z Nismo.
Fast and noisy Nissan that saw me and came up fast from behind. Couldn't help but floor and follow. Fairly heavy traffic and I'm not about to weave, but reeled him in quite nicely until it looked dangerous.

2. Audi S4.
Always have respect for Audis because I sold my RS4 to buy the Q. Came up behind him and he scooted off. No contest as I closed in super quick. Within 3 seconds or so he was signaling to go into the right lane so I could pass. He gave in VERY quickly when he realized he had no chance.

3. Late model CTS-V (640 HP Corvette engine).
Again I was approaching from behind (he was doing maybe 60) and when he saw the Quad in his mirror, pedal to the metal. I was actually pleasantly surprised because he could not pull away from me at all. Right on his tail until I looked at my speedo and OMG!!! 160mph. We must have realized at the same time because we both slowed down and rode side by side and he dropped window and gave me a thumbs up. I will NOT be doing that again as I don't want to spend the night in jail.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Wow !!!

That's crazy !!! I mean 160 mph on a public highway is just toooo fast for me !!! God Bless !!! :surprise:

·
Registered
641 Posts
That's crazy !!! I mean 160 mph on a public highway is just toooo fast for me !!! God Bless !!!
Totally agree. Totally dumb of me. All of us that drive a Q already know that extra-legal speeds come very easy. I now also know that the car feels planted and stable at extreme speeds and if you are not glancing at the speedo it will just keep going....

·
Registered
149 Posts
That's amazing, and chill-inspiring. I have a couple of goose bumps thinking about 160MPH...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts