Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know which is better against laser? Trying to buy a CF grill and want to know if matte or glossy will provide better protection from lidar.

I know you need a jammer for true protection, but just like darker paints are better, wondering about matte vs. Glossy CF

Trying to decide which V cover I want ?

Thanks

·
Registered
443 Posts
Anyone know which is better against laser? Trying to buy a CF grill and want to know if matte or glossy will provide better protection from lidar.

I know you need a jammer for true protection, but just like darker paints are better, wondering about matte vs. Glossy CF

Trying to decide which V cover I want ?

Thanks
No substantial difference, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Considering your headlights are very very good reflectors already I don’t think the grill will make much difference one way or another. Also with the rise of self driving cars that use various forms of LIDAR you might want to rethink trying to lower your reflectivity before you get up close and personal with a confused self driver:wink2:

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
You can't beat the laser but I'm hoping to hinder it. I don't have a jammer but do use veil

If either offers even a slight advantage then it's worth it to me
You live in NY right? You have a front plate mounted? If so that’s about a 1/2 a sqft of actual reflector. Not having a front plate is probably the single biggest thing you can do to lower your cross section.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Also to add the cops aim for headlights, tail lights, grill and license plates. They are more looking to hit very shiny old school types of grills which the Giulia doesn’t really have but the headlights and license plate are really going to be the areas that reflect heavily...

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yup, in NY. I have veil which helps with the lights and the plates.

If it doesn't matter then I think glossy will look better on my vulcano

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Veil is a crock, and so are plate covers (which I even used briefly). To truly answer your question, the matte is definitely the one out of the two ... but it won't make a difference in the real world

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yeah your best strategy besides not speeding in places where you approach hiding spots for law enforcement to wait for you is probably something like Waze where you get real time reports where they are waiting...

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live by Waze. Can't wait for it to get car play support with iOS 12

Reactions: Bender
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.