Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I was hand washing the Giulia the other day when I noticed that there are some areas in the paint job, visible only when the trunk lid is open, where the paint does not have the usual gloss finish, but instead has a matte finish. Specifically, in the “lid well”, the groove, or indentation that goes around the outside of trunk opening. Also there’s a painted area on the under side of the trunk lid itself that has the matte finish.

I immediately suspected that the Alfa dealer body shop where the car was repaired after I was rear ended some months ago had missed those areas when they replaced and painted the parts. So I asked the dealer owner about it. He says he checked some other red Giulias in his stock and found that they all have the same matte paint characteristic under the trunk lid.

Frankly, I’m a little suspicious. I have a hard time believing that the Alfa factory would completely paint, including the glossy layer, all metal surfaces of the car *except* the bits under the trunk lid. it just doesn’t sound right to me.

So...would one or two of you angels, especially those with the rosso competizione color, please open your trunk lids when convenient, and check to see if you, too, have a matte finish where the sun don’t shine?

Thanks very much!

·
Vendor
619 Posts
Its normal, there are a handful of places that do not have a smooth gloss surface but are painted.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its normal, there are a handful of places that do not have a smooth gloss surface but are painted.
Very interesting! Thanks for the quick reply. I would not have expected that. I mean, if you’ve painted all metal surfaces (and you have robots doing it, as I’m sure many of us have seen in the Cassino YouTube videos), why would you go out of the way *not* to apply the final clear coat to certain hidden areas? Just another of the many Alfa quirks, I suppose.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Also, I noticed on my 2018 Ti Alfa Black sunroof car, that the panel just behind the windshield and just in front of the sunroof, is painted a metallic black color that does not match the non-metallic Alfa Black. I believe that this panel is this same color on all sunroof cars. Perhaps it is done this way to try and match the color of the glass roof. IMO, it works well for all the colors except Alfa Black. Once you notice it, it is obvious that this one panel is not the same black. It's not a really big deal for me, but after realizing it, I feel that someone at Fiat-Alfa should have noticed this, and at least on the Alfa Black cars, this panel should be painted to match the rest of the car.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Very interesting! Thanks for the quick reply. I would not have expected that. I mean, if you’ve painted all metal surfaces (and you have robots doing it, as I’m sure many of us have seen in the Cassino YouTube videos), why would you go out of the way *not* to apply the final clear coat to certain hidden areas? Just another of the many Alfa quirks, I suppose.
Other cars do this too. I for one am happy they didn’t even paint the underside of my QV’s hood. I don’t know why but every time the sun’s just right it hits the bare carbon through the windshield and it makes me smile ?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts