Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
What a great road for a test of the QV! Since Matt had some issues with the electronic throttle I wonder what the build date was on his tester and if it had the newest software updates?

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
I never really watched his videos for a reason and I was reminded before I even got past the 2-minute mark.

He goes off on a bit of rant about the "clunking" of the front suspension and makes it sound like it is only an Alfa Romeo issue. Many other high performance cars with extremely sticky summer tires suffer from the same anomaly on the street. Though, for whatever reason, Matt has no idea that the problem is inherent to the performance level of the vehicle.

For as many cars as Matt drives, one would think that he would have the intelligence of understanding extreme ackerman angle and negative camber and how deploying race car technology on the street has some tradeoffs. He hurts my head. I expect more from video journalists that are looking for my click and I can't help but think I'm clicking on the dope button with him. Sorry.

·
Registered
735 Posts
What a great road for a test of the QV! Since Matt had some issues with the electronic throttle I wonder what the build date was on his tester and if it had the newest software updates?
It was a press car from AR. You would hope they had it all patched up and ready to be raped by Matt...

·
Registered
735 Posts
I never really watched his videos for a reason and I was reminded before I even got past the 2-minute mark.

He goes off on a bit of rant about the "clunking" of the front suspension and makes it sound like it is only an Alfa Romeo issue. Many other high performance cars with extremely sticky summer tires suffer from the same anomaly on the street. Though, for whatever reason, Matt has no idea that the problem is inherent to the performance level of the vehicle.

For as many cars as Matt drives, one would think that he would have the intelligence of understanding extreme ackerman angle and negative camber and how deploying race car technology on the street has some tradeoffs. He hurts my head. I expect more from video journalists that are looking for my click and I can't help but think I'm clicking on the dope button with him. Sorry.
Matt is HUGE idiot. I came to really dislike him.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I usually watch Matt's videos and wondered why he had not reviewed the QV yet. Not his best reviews I must say, and not just because he had a couple of nit picks about the QV. I did not realize zero-to-5 mph was such an important thing to buyers of sports sedans, it was certainly not to me. The noise on full lock/turn is something I've experienced on an M3 and 911 - especially in cold weather, so nothing unusual there. Perhaps Matt does not drive in cold weather much, hence the unfamiliarity with this behavior, otherwise it's odd for a car reviewer to even mention it.

QV is not a perfect car but I am enjoying the heck out of it and am willing to put up with its minor Italian quirks :)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I haven't had any issues with my QV like he experienced with his, including the brake stand launch in Race mode......
of course not being able to achieve the chauffeur stop is true, but than again, the QV is not a limousine Matt, is it?>:)

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
23 Posts
Matt had a lot of factual errors in this video but I still appreciate his enthusiasm and the overall quality of his videos (which tend to be good). I watch his stuff just to get another opinion and to see him take some great cars on some great roads. I'm not worried about the tire thing as I was familiar with that phenomenon from other cars that I have owned and driven. The brake feel is something I have heard echoed elsewhere and I wonder if it is just an issue with the carbon ceramics and certain cars? I don't have enough knowledge to say whether it is a legitimate gripe or not. The electronic throttle issue is what it is and is certainly not an isolated issue but it is one that we know AR is aware of and will hopefully be fully ironed out soon enough.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I daily drive my car in city traffic on bad roads. I really disagree with his comments about how it handles stop and go traffic and I really disagree with his comments about the brakes. I suspect he didn't have much time in the car and he spent the entire time in race or dynamic. That means he doesn't understand the car at all.

One of the major points about the Giulia is how versatile it is BUT, you need to select the appropriate mode for the type of driving you are doing and that doesn't always mean hooligan mode. In N mode the Giulia is an amazing daily driver - effortlessly powerful, very smooth, and very happy to stop and go. In D mode, well, not so much. But that's not what it is for.

Not every car is like this. I test drove it coming out of a 911 Turbo that I drove everywhere in Sport and as a consequence my first impression of the Giulia was that it wasn't very refined. But different car, different strategy required, and it took me a little while to understand that.

Similarly the carbon brakes (which I have) initially struck me as grabby compared to the steel ones I had on the turbo. You just have to be a little lighter. I have zero issues modulating the brakes now.

Maybe instead of talking to another car tester, he might have spoken to an actual owner?

Also, sorry, he drives like an ass.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I was also a bit turned off at all the information he got wrong and was probably causing the service throttle with some LFB during start and probably during driving. I do agree with smooth brake operation it just takes practice to get it right lol

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I was also a bit turned off at all the information he got wrong and was probably causing the service throttle with some LFB during start and probably during driving. I do agree with smooth brake operation it just takes practice to get it right lol
I think his video is a microcosm of everything wrong with YouTube review channels. No real preparation because they’re experts of course, stick a GoPro to the windshield and spout out about whatever comes to mind while driving the car for 15-20 minutes requiring very little time in the edit bay afterwards, put up on YouTube, views views views, money money money comes pouring in. If you are unsure of something while filming how hard is it to look it up and edit it out afterwards. Instead of looking like a bumbling fool you’ll actually look like the expert you’re purported to be. The beauty of editing is well err editing makes you look better. If he doesn’t care about coming across as knowledgeable in his field why should I care to listen to him?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I usually watch Matt's videos and wondered why he had not reviewed the QV yet. Not his best reviews I must say, and not just because he had a couple of nit picks about the QV. I did not realize zero-to-5 mph was such an important thing to buyers of sports sedans, it was certainly not to me. The noise on full lock/turn is something I've experienced on an M3 and 911 - especially in cold weather, so nothing unusual there. Perhaps Matt does not drive in cold weather much, hence the unfamiliarity with this behavior, otherwise it's odd for a car reviewer to even mention it.

QV is not a perfect car but I am enjoying the heck out of it and am willing to put up with its minor Italian quirks :)
0 to 5 mph is my number one complaint with my QV. Starting out at a green light is like kissing your sister IMO. So I think he nailed it on that point. I'm still not in love with the brakes, but I have gotten used to them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
0 to 5 mph is my number one complaint with my QV. Starting out at a green light is like kissing your sister IMO. So I think he nailed it on that point. I'm still not in love with the brakes, but I have gotten used to them.
Do you drive in D or R mode when in start/stop traffic or in A mode?
I usually stick to A mode around town when dropping kids at school etc. and I do not have any complaints.
In D or R mode, yes it gets a bit jerky at slow speeds so I select those modes when I am not in stop and go traffic.
For the record, I do not have ceramic brakes.

·
Registered
422 Posts
One thing that rang true for me was his description of the engine. For some reason the word squeeze really fits.

·
Supporting Vendor
703 Posts
Matt is HUGE idiot. I came to really dislike him.
I agree, he is a huge idiot. But IMHO that is why a lot of people like him.

He got a lot wrong in this video, but the sheer joy he expressed about some aspects of the car was refreshing.

·
Registered
647 Posts
I don't like his Go-T.

·
Vendor
619 Posts
This is more my speed...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts