Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else from MA had an issue getting their Giulia to pass the emissions piece of the MA state inspection? I took delivery of my car in March of 2017, and when I went to renew the the inspection sticker in March of 2018 at my dealer, it was rejected because it wouldn't pass the emissions test. I was told to drive it more in warmer temps... Not always easy with cold temps in New England in March. Ultimately, after 4 more trips to the dealer, and it still not passing, I got in touch with Alfa Premium Care. They told me to drive the car for 4 straight days in temps over 55 degrees or so... Did that last week, and it passed. LOTS of wasted time. Curious if anyone else had had the same issue.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
The solution is drive for a few months with an expired inspection and renew in say...JULY...
Never heard of such a thing but what exactly was their explanation...? Cat converter needs to run consecutively in warm weather to operate in a "Geo Friendly" fashion ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Has anyone else from MA had an issue getting their Giulia to pass the emissions piece of the MA state inspection? I took delivery of my car in March of 2017, and when I went to renew the the inspection sticker in March of 2018 at my dealer, it was rejected because it wouldn't pass the emissions test. I was told to drive it more in warmer temps... Not always easy with cold temps in New England in March. Ultimately, after 4 more trips to the dealer, and it still not passing, I got in touch with Alfa Premium Care. They told me to drive the car for 4 straight days in temps over 55 degrees or so... Did that last week, and it passed. LOTS of wasted time. Curious if anyone else had had the same issue.
Thanks for the heads up. I’m in the Boston area with a Mar sticker and a 39 month lease. Since I’ve got to get 3 stickers through the term, they might as well be in July - that will take me to lease end.

How long did you have to drive the car each day in the heat? Was a couple of half hour commutes enough?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I just did my state inspection in December, no emission test. When did this start?
I'd heard about the cameras for license plates, some new nit picking for hot rods, but what emission testing are they doing? 2 gas, 4 gas?
regardless, if the car and cat are warm it should pass without issues.
if the dealer/tester was letting it sit and cool before testing that could explain it.

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
More than likely it did not fail the emission test per se, but rather one or more of the OBDII "Readiness Monitors" were not set properly in the system.

The readiness monitors take a certain amount of drive cycles under specific conditions (speed, temperature, rpm, etc.) to be set. For example, if you disconnect the battery and then take a car in directly for an emissions test, it will fail as these monitors are not yet set.

·
Registered
279 Posts
They still do emissions tests on new cars in MA? Even the people's republic of NY does only a safety inspection the first 3 years so long as your check engine light isn't on.

·
Registered
647 Posts
they still do emissions tests on new cars in ma? Even the people's republic of ny does only a safety inspection the first 3 years so long as your check engine light isn't on.
:laugh:

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"OBDII"
yeah, it must be something like that - I'm sure my test station would have mentioned it if they had to buy 4 gas testers, instead of talking about cameras.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I did mine on the QV in January with no issue...... did they ever give you a reason why it failed so many times?

·
Registered
53 Posts
More than likely it did not fail the emission test per se, but rather one or more of the OBDII "Readiness Monitors" were not set properly in the system.

The readiness monitors take a certain amount of drive cycles under specific conditions (speed, temperature, rpm, etc.) to be set. For example, if you disconnect the battery and then take a car in directly for an emissions test, it will fail as these monitors are not yet set.
This. MA is just plugging into your ALDL connector to read your OBD-II system readiness and fault codes. There is no actual emissions testing. If you get bored, Google “OBD-II readiness test cycle”. The conditions are kind of silly.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.