Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maserati has just introduced an extended free warranty that runs for the first 10 years of ownership. It is being offered to Maserati owners who are not past 9.5 years of ownership and it has no mileage limits. It covers the engine, transmission and gearshift.

I wonder if Stillantis is thinking of extending this same warranty to Alfa owners…

Maserati Introduces Incredible Ten-Year Warranty Maserati Introduces Incredible Ten-Year Warranty

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
This is how I see this subject. People say that Maserati is the same as Alfa Romeo and that Maserati either copied or stole Alfa Romeo's stuff. The most expensive Alfa Romeo right now starts at $81.6K. A Maserati that could remotely compare with that engineering masterpiece dream car Alfa Romeo starts at $86.1K. So, there is a ~$5K GAP that Maserati owners have paid for years to cover the same extended warranty that Alfa Romeo owners would buy at MOPAR. So, someone is tempted to buy a Maserati because of the 10 years extended warranty?. I would say: Buy a QV, which is much more car than that $86.1K Maserati, and buy a 10yr extended warranty for less than $5K, which by the way, probably covers much more than that Maserati "free" extended warranty. Problem resolved. People like the "free" 10 years extended warranty and they do not realize that for less than $5K, they can have one (10 years - 4 years of original warranty is 6 more years. so, $5K/6 = $833/yr or $69/mo)

·
Registered
2020 Giulia Quattroformaggio, 2020 Stelvio TI Sport
1,207 Posts
This is how I see this subject. People say that Maserati is the same as Alfa Romeo and that Maserati either copied or stole Alfa Romeo's stuff. The most expensive Alfa Romeo right now starts at $81.6K. A Maserati that could remotely compare with that engineering masterpiece dream car Alfa Romeo starts at $86.1K. So, there is a ~$5K GAP that Maserati owners have paid for years to cover the same extended warranty that Alfa Romeo owners would buy at MOPAR. So, someone is tempted to buy a Maserati because of the 10 years extended warranty?. I would say: Buy a QV, which is much more car than that Maserati starting at $86.1K, and buy a 10yr extended warranty for less than $5K, which by the way, probably covers much more than that Maserati "free" extended warranty. Problem resolved. People like the "free" 10 years extended warranty and they do not realize that for less than $5K, they can have one (10 years - 4 years of original warranty is 6 more years. so, $5K/6 = $833/yr or $69/mo)
Sigh, yeah. My wife is stuck on getting a Maserati now that her Stelvio lease is up. Instead of a Levante I'd rather get her a Stelvio Quad, it's TWICE the car that Levante is for $20k less money. Oh, get the Grecale Trofeo, it's based on the Stelvio chassis, you say. From all I've read so far, I expect the Stelvio Quad to still be a better car (from a driving dynamics perspective) and $40k less money.

In the end, she gets what she wants though...

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,643 Posts
Sigh, yeah. My wife is stuck on getting a Maserati now that her Stelvio lease is up. Instead of a Levante I'd rather get her a Stelvio Quad, it's TWICE the car that Levante is for $20k less money. Oh, get the Grecale Trofeo, it's based on the Stelvio chassis, you say. From all I've read so far, I expect the Stelvio Quad to still be a better car (from a driving dynamics perspective) and $40k less money.

In the end, she gets what she wants though...
Regarding the Grecale, it is on the Giorgio platform. However, it weighs more than the Stelvio due to its size, and more expensive...... so yeah. I reckon the price-performance ratio is better for the Stelvio, but the Maserati is probably more luxurious & comfortable?

·
Registered
2020 Giulia AWD Ti Stromboli/Gray
257 Posts
Alfa Romeo don’t even invest more into marketing immagine a 10 yrs warranty yeah ok ….I think it would help a lot especially with that reliability reputation dark cloud that hangs on but they won’t it’s just that.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
This will for sure lure customers to Maserati now, especially the ones that wanted to drive an elegant Italian car with some muscle and speed behind it, but didn't want to risk the long term durability. Now having this coverage for 10 years may also suggest that their components are more "beefed" up and can withstand long term drivability. The German customers and even from Lexus, may give Maserati a chance now. I can see some of your points, such as yea you pay for it regardless, but when people shop for such cars, they don't think about that. They just look at the 10 Year warranty and thats it!

I believe if Alfa stated to offer this, even if the customer pays for it indirectly, they would be more successful at attracting those on the fence people and give the brand a better name and just get people and the media talking about it, as only a select few other companies offer a 10 year warranty, first comes to mind is Mitsubishi if they still do?

·
Registered
248 Posts
As per a video from Ron's rides i was looking at last night, the new 2023 alfa giulia he was reviewing has dropped the warranty to 3 yr 36k as per the window sticker.

Not looking promising.....

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,643 Posts
As per a video from Ron's rides i was looking at last night, the new 2023 alfa giulia he was reviewing has dropped the warranty to 3 yr 36k as per the window sticker.

Not looking promising.....
That was actually a mistake/misprint which Ron corrected in a following video....

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
So, this year, Maserati's had 3 or 4 years warranty, or whatever. Now, all of the sudden, they go to 10 years. So, did they change anything in the car(s), engines and powertrains to go from 3-4 years to 10 years?. NO. Are the 2023 Maserati more reliable than the 2022 Maserati?. NO. Have Maserati owners paid for a 10 years extended warranty for years now?. YES. If people are concerned about Alfa Romeo reliability, why don't they buy a $4K 10-Year extended warranty, which will be much less expensive and better coverage than a $7K Alfa Romeo's mark up?. I DO NOT KNOW. And on the marketing side, do you guys know how expensive is marketing and if Alfa Romeo wants to sell 240,000 cars/yr, globally, which has been its best annual volume in its history why are they going to spend in any more marketing?. Both Alfa Romeo marketing and Customer Service suck but, it has worked that way, the Alfa Romeo way, for more than a century, I think.

Reactions: Pippo

·
Registered
2020 Giulia AWD Ti Stromboli/Gray
257 Posts
So, this year, Maserati's had 3 or 4 years warranty, or whatever. Now, all of the sudden, they go to 10 years. So, did they change anything in the car(s), engines and powertrains to go from 3-4 years to 10 years?. NO. Are the 2023 Maserati more reliable than the 2022 Maserati?. NO. Have Maserati owners paid for a 10 years extended warranty for years now?. YES. If people are concerned about Alfa Romeo reliability, why don't they buy a $4K 10-Year extended warranty, which will be much less expensive and better coverage than a $7K Alfa Romeo's mark up?. I DO NOT KNOW. And on the marketing side, do you guys know how expensive is marketing and if Alfa Romeo wants to sell 240,000 cars/yr, globally, which has been its best annual volume in its history why are they going to spend in any more marketing?. Both Alfa Romeo marketing and Customer Service suck but, it has worked that way, the Alfa Romeo way, for more than a century, I think.
Yes you got a point there.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
9,086 Posts
You can't win with warranty. Some people will say "great", while others will react "see, I told you Alfa's quality stunk". Hell yes, I'd welcome it. Might even induce me to replace my '20 with a '24 or '25 (if there is one).

·
Registered
165 Posts
If I have to choose between Grecale or Stelvio Quadrifoglio I will definitely choose the Stelvio in long term. It is just more raw drivers car, at least for me. The 10 year warranty will be a good thing, for sure. Here we have max of 5 years or 100 000 miles for Alfa. Not possible to buy another 5 years, as far as I know. I don't think Alfa will wait too long to go with 10 year after Maserati did it.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Not long ago, read in some magazine or other article, that when the Korean cars, KIA and Hundai offered such an extended powertrain warranty, it really did increase their sales, as it removed the "unknown" durability and reliability question for prospective buyers. And look where those brands are now. When I am in traffic, stuck next to a KIA I am amazed at how tight the door and trunk fitting is. Not like long ago, when one could stick their index finger in the panel gaps in American cars. I think Subaru also has a long term powertrain warranty. But as complex as cars are now, I think one is far more likely to have "issues" with the electronics than with an engine or gear box and the like. I am not sure manufactures are talking much risk with long term powertrain coverage. NV

·
Registered
929 Posts
This is how I see this subject. People say that Maserati is the same as Alfa Romeo and that Maserati either copied or stole Alfa Romeo's stuff. The most expensive Alfa Romeo right now starts at $81.6K. A Maserati that could remotely compare with that engineering masterpiece dream car Alfa Romeo starts at $86.1K. So, there is a ~$5K GAP that Maserati owners have paid for years to cover the same extended warranty that Alfa Romeo owners would buy at MOPAR. So, someone is tempted to buy a Maserati because of the 10 years extended warranty?. I would say: Buy a QV, which is much more car than that $86.1K Maserati, and buy a 10yr extended warranty for less than $5K, which by the way, probably covers much more than that Maserati "free" extended warranty. Problem resolved. People like the "free" 10 years extended warranty and they do not realize that for less than $5K, they can have one (10 years - 4 years of original warranty is 6 more years. so, $5K/6 = $833/yr or $69/mo)
That makes complete sense for us car enthusiasts, but I'm willing to bet that at least 8 out of 10 regular folks are not even aware that the 2 brands are from the same company, and that they share quite a bit of things. That's the crowd this extended warranty is aiming at.

Besides, even the smallest entry-level Maserati sedan is at least one segment larger than the Giulia. It's almost like comparing an MB E-class to a BMW 3-series. Many don't think of them as direct cross-shopping comparisons.

Reactions: Tazio!1901
1 - 15 of 15 Posts